Width/length of open doors?

In planning my gt40 build my biggest concern right now is actually the doors. I have a 2 bay garage with a 4 post lift in one and a two post lift in the other. Obviously I wouldn’t be able to use the two post lift bay because of the post in the middle of the bay, unless I had room to drive foward of the post and then push it back after getting out. In the four post lift bay I’m wondering how far I would need to fully open he doors without hitting the wall? What is the lenight of the door fully open?

Removable doors is the answer.
It makes live so easy.
Just one pin to take them out of the hinges and store it in a frame like this picture (not mine but I made the same).

1677082474876.jpeg

There's a top gear episode where Clarkson is in a GT, and someone parks beside him. With the roof part of the car, you can't get out without swinging the door far wider than a regular door.

No chance of shimmying out with anything closer than 32" or so to you.

thats an interesting idea I hadn’t thought of. Will have to look to see if I can find the original post about it.
Most GT40s at the historic races have removable doors. All they have to do is to take the long hinge pin out.
Makes servicing at lot easyer between the races. Even parking it in the race trailer.

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Fit two electric winches on the garage floor, hook one up to car to pull in. To pull out, fit a pulley on the floor by the garage door, hook up to second winch to a tow hook/loop underneath the front, it will pull your car out. Easily sorted. No reason to not have a GT40 or four:)

Good luck, morten

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Fit two electric winches on the garage floor, hook one up to car to pull in. To pull out, fit a pulley on the floor by the garage door, hook up to second winch to a tow hook/loop underneath the front, it will pull your car out. Easily sorted. No reason to not have a GT40 or four:)

Good luck, morten

Talking about winches.......

Back