Girdle, cad file?

Looking to save some money on the stud girdle for my SBF302 block.
Tried finding a file myself, but to no luck. Does anyone here sit on a file to be able to cut out my own girdle in 1/2" mild steel?

Neil

Supporter
Looking to save some money on the stud girdle for my SBF302 block.
Tried finding a file myself, but to no luck. Does anyone here sit on a file to be able to cut out my own girdle in 1/2" mild steel?
With 302 Ford stud girdles running in the $75 price range, is it cost effective to make your own?

They generally need grinding/milling to clear the top of the main caps. They are not just a flat plate.
Yeah, aware of that. But that would be an easy task in the workshop after it would have been cut out :)
And the 70$ girdles seems to be like 1/4" steel plate only, the thicker ones always come as kits and i want to buy ARP154-5408 and would therefore want just the girdle, but still a 1/2" thick plate that doesn't cost 300$ like the canton's does...

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Back in the late 80’s and early 90’s, I made these for the Big Block Chevy’s. At much over 1500 horse, at a minimum the caps were walking or they were blowing the main caps off the block. My girdle tied all of the main caps together as a unit. I also had special oil pans that worked with the girdle as well as a cast timing cover with a large bearing to support the crankshaft to help prevent the end of the crank breaking off. I made these for the Rodeck block as well. The technology has been around for years.
Regards Brian
EBF91F94-F7D4-4285-91BC-DA798660AC5F.jpeg
E1A441E0-E52C-47C4-8F55-39BE87D9823B.jpeg
6266E02E-162B-4088-B871-0AF161F1250F.jpeg

Neil

Supporter
Yeah, aware of that. But that would be an easy task in the workshop after it would have been cut out :)
And the 70$ girdles seems to be like 1/4" steel plate only, the thicker ones always come as kits and i want to buy ARP154-5408 and would therefore want just the girdle, but still a 1/2" thick plate that doesn't cost 300$ like the canton's does...
That $70 figure was for a head stud girdle from Summit.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Ryan, not to my knowledge. The ones that are being shown in this thread just covers the main caps with a 1/2” plate. My unit was over 2” thick and all the main caps along with the sides were one piece. ARP made me custom sets of studs for it as well. I also on the side web milled it so it acted like a crank wiper to help peel the oil off the rotating mass. Real crank wipers are meticulously machined to close clearances around the rods and crank. This was the best I could do and maintain the one piece option as everyone’s assembly was different. The bottom was o ringed and mated to the timing cover as well. The oil pan was shortened in height to accommodate the height of the girdle.

Regards Brian

Back