Give us a break (brake?) Fran.........and anything else ya got for us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stick close to the forum fran! I'm going 2 post a nice response 2 your reply...!:( I'm very upset!!! At your reply...shame on you!

Chuck

Supporter
RCR and Fran are getting a bum rap here. I don't normally comment, but feel constrained to do so.

Two years ago we built an Everett Morrison Cobra. An expensive, good quallity kit. Everything but the engine is included in the kit, so there is not much excuse for parts being delayed. There is nothing 'custom' made for a particular kit. It took eighteen months to build a kit that would have been completed in six months if parts had been supplied when promised. It took almost a year to get the body! Simple items, like power steering hoses, were delayed for months.

The GT is a for more complex and challenging project. There are many more variables given the different drive train combos and possible options. Yet from delivery to Run and Gun was 16 months. Our completion of the project was not delayed for want of parts.

True, not everything was shipped with the original kit, but the missing parts came in when needed. When we were ready to fire up the engine and lacked the half shafts, I called Fran and had them installed within a couple of weeks time. When we discovered an incorrect coolant tube was sent, a replacement was delivered in a week. We always had plenty to do until a delayed part arrived. These little bumps in the road must be expected when pursuing a project like this.

This is a speciality niche product. We are not dealing with Wal Mart which has huge inventories on the shelf. One's expectations and perspective must be realistic.

Given the quality of the products being produced by RCR, and based on my personal experience with another kit manufacturer, Fran's service is by comparison very good. I would not hesitate to build another RCR.

Once the car is done, these 'bumps in the road' will be forgotten, and driving it will make it all worthwhile.

John,

how can you be upset ..I said nothing that is not true...

You even called me at home recently to discuss your project and wanted my opinions...which I duly gave you and restated my opinons about selling you an RCR product...nothing new there.

To whom it may concern
Someone out there needs to get a life!! And you know who you are. It seems that you have nothing better to do than sit in front of your computer and rag on Fran.

I purchased an RCR GT 40 from Fran sometime ago and I have had no problem receiving parts from him. To the contrary. Every time I've needed something even though it wasn't a part that was included in my original purchase agreement Fran sent me these parts at no charge even though I insisted on paying for them. He even paid the shipping charge. When I first started building the car I couldn't decide on what transaxle I wanted to install. At first I was going to go with a Audi transaxle so Fran sent me all the parts to marry that transaxle up to a 301 Ford. After getting the parts I change my mind and decided to go with the ZF. Fran took all the parts back and sent me what I needed to marry the tranny up to a ZF. That was a big hassle for him but he didn't complain once but on top of it he paid for all the shipping again. If that isn't going above and beyond I don't know what is. Working with RCR has been a real pleasure everything I've gotten from them has been nothing but top quality. I can't understand what I hear about Fran's lacking in communication skills. I have had no problems getting a hold of him at any time. He has his phone number listed on his website and every time I've called it he either answers the phone or someone from his staff does. Most the time he does. If for some reason he's not there I leave a message and he calls me back within minutes unless he's out of town. So, I can understand what all the bellyaching is about when it comes to this man's integrity and the quality of product that he produces. I wouldn't hesitate one minute to buy another car from him if I had it to do all over again. I think it's great to have a guy like this in this industry. He's been a real shot in the arms for the kit car business. Going with RCR was a wise decision. They are a first rate company with a bright future. Fran, keep up the good work and don't let these knot- heads bother you.
One happy customer
Vaughn
P.S
I have the car out of the body shop and home as of yesterday. I will now start the wiring and plumbing. The bodywork looks fabulous. Hope to post some pictures soon if I can just become techno-.

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Allow me to add my input here. I don't own a GT40. I haven't built a kit car. But I have worked in the automotive industry for years and understand how this all works.

Once an order is placed by a customer, the order taker (Fran) begins the work of getting everything together to complete said order.

In this case, on the shelf he has all the parts he personally manufactures and if not, he runs up the CNC machine to make some.

Then he checks his inventory and puts everything else together. I'd bet Fran has a parts guy who is responsible for maintaining the inventory of all parts needed for the 9 cars he offers. (What other kit car company offers that many I ask you?)

If and when they're out of a certain item, an order is placed. Guess what... See above.

Now, just like most businesses, once an order is placed, there's not much you can do but wait. I run into that with my Real Estate career. I'm constantly waiting for mortgage companies and title companies to pull their collective heads out of each others asses to get my stuff done. Same thing with parts suppliers most of the time.

I'll give you an example. Main one that sticks out in my head. When working for Motion Dynamics in Austin, we ordered polyurethane bushings from Energy Suspension. They have a nice rotation casting process they do. They take a certain set of molds, pour a set number of pieces, then shelf the molds until their next rotation. If they're out of stock on something, you can't get any more till they come back around to be cast again. We switched suppliers to Prothane.

Fran is at the mercy of suppliers, this happens in just about everyone's business. I'm pretty sure everyone here has had run-ins with parts, paperwork, emails, etc. not being delivered on time and thus pissing a customer off. This is another cost of doing business. It's how you handle the setbacks that will set you apart from your competition.

I'm not trying to speak for Fran, I'm not trying to make excuses for Fran, I'm trying to inform you guys what happens in any type of business where you have suppliers. Remember when that cargo ship full of Volvo's, BMW's, and Mercedes' sunk in the Atlantic Ocean? How many pissed off customers were there when that happened? Did they all jump down BMW's throat? Did they all call the dealerships incompitent morons? Truth is, maybe. BUT, they were at the mercy of their suppliers and unfortunately something happened to postpone delivery. It's called unforseen circumstances.

Anyway, I'm sure you are all tired of hearing from me. I don't know anything about what you're going through. All that jazz. Trust me, I've been on both ends of this problem (not THIS exact problem, but very similar) and I do know what you're talking about. I guess the experience of being on both ends of the situation has made me more understanding when it happens to me.

OK, I'm done.

Laters,

Brian

OK so now it's my turn. I met Fran when another kit car manufacture didn't send me what was paid for and I ended up loosing $1200.00 that I will never get back. Lot's of people on this forum jumped my case and told me to relax and be patient and later when it was apparent I was going to loose my $$$ changed their tune. Enter Fran who did not know me from Adam, he contacted me and we talked about what had happened and he said he had the parts I needed and sent them to me. Now realize that when I say he sent them to me HE paid the shipping and would NOT let me pay for the parts! This is the kind of man that Fran is and has demonstrated this over and over in the last several years. Now remember I'm not an RCR kit buyer I'm a scratch builder so there was no incentive for Fran to do this except that he is a true car guy and a great guy. Fran and I have become friends over the last few years and I'm proud to call him a friend! I may never understand why people are so quick to persecute Fran when he has proved day in and day out that he will do a great job and always be honest in the process. I have rambled but I will leave with my parable of the windshield. I ordered a windshield from Fran and three or four weeks called him to ask where it was and he said he would ship it right away that he hadn't had time to get to it yet. I complained and he said a very wise thing that all of us who build cars need to hear and understand "is your car painted yet and do you need it right now?" I realized that I didn't need it right then in fact it ended up taking almost two years before I really needed it. The windshield was there in less than a week and sat in my garage for over a year! Sorry Fran. We have a great friend and manufacture here guy's, let's treat him respectfully and keep this a pleasant experience so he decides it's better to stay here rather than go do something else where there is less unnecessary stress and we all loose out. How many manufactures can you go to that build this product in America? Do we really want to loose the great one we have right in our backyard and have to go overseas for everything we need? I sure don't. Thank you Fran for doing such a great job and for being my friend, I for one really appreciate you and your team for the great product you produce. If I ever decide to do this again I can honestly say I will buy an RCR 917 but I will need a bigger garage and have to talk my wife into having a Gulf GT40 and Gulf 917 at the same time. Like that's ever likely to happen. Just my experience

Steve

I need to share my experiences with Fran as well. I had placed a deposit for a RF40 back when Rober Logan owned RF40. After over a year and a half of waiting my car was not even started. They went bankrupt and I lost my deposit. Shortly afterwards I placed an order with Fran. Mine was one of the first Deluxe Plus kits, which Fran hastily created to be as near a direct match to the features of an RF40 to give a nearly equivalent kit for the RF folks to switch to. My car was delivered in 13 weeks. The only reason it was a week late was that my car was the demo car at the London Cobra show. Fran asked my permission before doing this. I had no problem waiting one more week for a car.

The kit was delivered with nearly all of the parts that would have been included in a Deluxe Kit. The only significant backordered parts were the new parts that were added to the Deluxe Plus kit. Given that he was prototyping the parts and getting manufacturers on line for new parts, many of which were custom it is not unreasonable to expect some delay.

If you think you are going to be the first in line for a new product like this and not have any backorders you are truly fooling yourself. Many people are comparing Fran to Factory Five. I now own two Factory Fives. My first was a Cobra and I had it built in 3 months with no parts left on backorder by completion. That was a kit in the 3000 serial numbers and they should have it down by then. My second car is a GTM. That is a better comparison to Fran’s business. I bought my kit from someone who failed to start his kit. It was over a year old. The AC system still had backordered parts.

Take a look at older posts on the ffcobra GTM section. The first kit orders were sent without major components like doors. They waited many months for the doors. Fran’s cars are at least as limited production as the FFR GTM and Fran sends his kits out the door more complete then FFR did for the first year of production of the GTM. FFR is still having backorder issues on parts such as half shafts on the GTMs.

If you are not willing to accept any backorders you need to look for a kit that has had about 1000 made. That does not leave you many choices.

I bought my kit from Chris Melia. It was his demo car before he decided to focus on the ZFQ and give up beeing the RCR distributor.
I bought it with almost all parts ( except driveshafts and some minor small parts).
THis opportunity just came up to me incidentily. I had booked a flight to Detroit 2 weeks before i got the news about Chris´s kit is for sale. So i took a quick desicion cancelled the flight and purchased CHris´s kit instead of ordering a new one from Fran. All this time Fran was informed by me about what was going on.
Although i didn´t purchased a new kit with which Fran would make his profit,to further finance his growth and giving food on the table of his family and his employees, he moreover lost money with me purchasing the car from Chris in which he also had his part of investment done.
After my purchase i decided to change the configuration of the car considerably.
- going from a Audi Trans to a Porsche Trans
*transmission adaptor plate
*driveshafts
*flywheel
*cableshifter
- going from narrow to wide body including the +2" suspension
- from v belt to serpentine belt
- from double to single nostril panel
- plus ordering some options which where not included in the car originaly like
*sway bars
*gulf flares ( which arrived and i sent back because they don´t fit my personal taste in combination with my low profile tires)
*Brake ducting
All of this Fran has done without asking any payment for it, he payed the shipment to germany more than one time, because of german customs issues FEDEX sent parts of the shipments back.
Now as he has changed to another shipping provider most of the parts arrived.
Taking account the rapid development of his company and the great products he is turning out to a difficult ( say very individualised market, who of you is taking the cars like he delivers it, everyone thinks he knows better how to do some things on this cars ,including me ) market, RCR is providing a great service to us.
People makes the difference and Fran has great ones on board. Just look at his latest addition to his team, Denny.
I have visited a lot of different Kit car companies over the last 10 -15 years ( i was a cobra guy ; Everett Morrison; Unique motorcars; Contemporary; FFR; Midstates ; Sabre;) but the operation i was most impressed by is Frans.
My desicion is clear.
MY NEXT CAR ( After selling the GT40 i´m finishing right now) IS A RCR !!!!
TOM

How could anyone wait for a year for parts on the SL-C...delivery only started 6 months ago...

Simons parts were shipped on September 22nd ...first time around...only three and a half weeks ago...and some of those were options ordered "after" he had actually received his car in the UK...

Simons request was to save on shipping pack them together...

Andys parts were an oil filter adapter, front engine cover and parking brake mounts...two of the three items are not parts of the RCR kit but are parts pertaining to a vendor supplied engine that he purchased through RCR....not built by RCR.

I have not asked for payment for the replacement part even though I did not initially supply it.

Johns parts consisted of a second plenum AC plenum after he deemed he would prefer it to the stock as supplied rhd unit...again no payment requested

Non standard high end Tilton master cylinders to match his non standard Tilton pedal assembly...not manufactured by me..
Sway bars for Simon and John...again vendor parts...that I waited a long time to be restocked and supplied by a second vendor after the first dropped the ball more times than I care to mention....

We all,at RCR try to make owning/building a hand built car a pleasurable experience and understand these are expensive projects ...we dont like to have backorder issues and we appreciate our customers patience when we do...but we really do multi source whenever possible to avoid these situations...
We are not perfect and only human...to anyone that has or is waiting for parts...we thank you for buying an RCR car and will be here for you until you no longer need us..

So as you see Oliver/John/Dogface..whichever username you chose.....not quite as simple as hand to mouth ...with over 150 cars sold a few back ordered parts is tough to avoid.....and not stock or standard RCR manufactured kit parts in most cases....if we have the parts on the shelf we ship them, they do me no good collecting dust.

I know this is a battle I will have to fight over and over again...and its a no win situation for me....but I will not sit back and have my and my staffs hard work over the last four years taken lightly...we have attempted to raise the bar on American built replica cars and fulfilled many mans dream whilst doing so.

I remember saying that I would not sell you a car due to the grief you personally gave me over the phone on a Sunday morning a couple of years ago...thanks for the compliments but .....

I hope you enjoy your incomplete Lola ,once you get it at least a year (or two) late from the manufacturer you chose to build it.....and its not an RCR , ....

FRAN REF YOUR QUOTE.

Missing kit items, make that, chassis engine mount brackets, door eyebrows, rear handbrake brackets, and those engine parts, this engine was ordered and supplied by yourself, as part of my kit, and this was ordered in march 2007, I feel this should have been more than enough time for you to complete this order, and that after being given a tracking number that
did not have any package collected from your address
i felt it was time to take action, i am more than pleased with your product, and am sure it will be stunning when completed, but not with your supply, i can confirm that there is a ups package waiting to be picked up by myself, i hope all these missing items are in this package ,sad it had to come this to get these items here in the uk, yours Andy

Andy,
I am sure thay are in the box waiting for you....including the parts I did not mention.
The engine was through me but not built by RCR...
If I recall your front cover issue is more a reflection of the waterpump not fitting...I have now sent you a replacement as requested ...
The other RCR manufactured parts were an oversight and nothing more, for which we are absolutely responsible...no question...but I dont think your car was actually delivered in March of 07...was it? I think it was actually Dec.07...besides the point ..we dropped the ball...

Last edited:
Francis, I will surly will let you know what I think especially after Pm you sent me. very NON professional. Your customers are surly in the dark just Like RF!

Oliver(banned)/John/Dogface

let me save you the trouble..my PM to you in its entirity...I have nothing to hide...especially where you are concerned...

"The SLC has only been out for six months so more *h*t.
No car built by me will ever sit in your garage unless you buy it used...
Sorry ...just as I see it."

You/We have history that has been hostile and I have told you time and time again....I will not sell you anything RCR...not even an exhaust system....you are a liabilty/loose canon and I have the option to sell to whomever I see fit.

Last edited:
There are many folks that can build me a exhaust system. The liability is you and your big ego that cannot take responsibility for faults that are as pointed out buy your customers posted on this thread. You choose to bring up the past. I was right About RF and your customers are surly wright about you. You mock me about my Lola build that was truly a mistake by my choice of builder and contractor who feed me the same bullshit excuses that you give your customers. I also want to point out that the apple does not fall far from the tree because I was told you hired my Lola contractor to sell your RCR cars in the South. Like politics ..MORE OF THE SAME.. !!! I"M done!!!

I think not Mr Bobowski....pure fantasy...

There is one RCR dealer and he is in Australia...everything else is Ex-Factory

I dont mock you...I feel for you.

You're done...I highly doubt that

Last edited:
I'm done. .But surly your customers won't be.. for months and months and months and more months.. excuses excuses excuses. Just bad for the hobby and more of the same! gday

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
What is happening to this forum?

I know that free speech is part of our democracy but why do we allow this kind of BS to cloud the forum? This "John", "Dogface" - whatever he chooses to go by is a pain the ass. I'm a fairly conservative and reserved person but all of this BS about RCR is really rubbing me the wrong way. I have a RCR SLC in my shop - just delivered 10/10/08. The delivered product is absolutely amazing in its quality. Do I have ALL of the parts - no. Do I have ALL of the parts that matter - YES. Will I receive all of the parts - WITHOUT A DOUBT! Sorry "John" but I am NOT in the "dark" as you say. So, has a competing kit manufacturer hired you to stir up trouble for RCR? That is the only thing I can come up with - otherwise you are just wasting space. I'm actually at the point of removing myself from this forum...a shame, because I've really gained a lot and enjoyed the posts from most of the members (no John, you are not one of them). I sincerely hope that clearer heads will prevail......

Dave L

John,
as I said ..."you're done..I highly doubt that"....once more you rise to the occasion.

I have taken a lot of grief for my company over the last few years...and worked hard to move past the inuendoes and negative attitude threads....from competitive manufacturers and individuals alike..

RCR , as a company willl learn from this ...I have brought this thread to attention of everyone at RCR ..and we will all be accountable...but primarily me....

My apologies to any and everyone affected by our shortcomings....

Sorry to say Fran, but you have a major shortcoming going on right now, Casey getting married and no more pictures of her with any of your cars.....Bring/hire in a new female model :thumbsup:

From a happy customer of a RCR Mk-IV and to be repeat customer

I accept your apolgy for hammering me last time.

Fran it just goes to show that I was right when all doubted me.
Since I had the forsight to bring this to everyones attention just wait until my brother President Obama get's in and he will show all of you thay my people are the true master race. you are correct Franny I am not buying one but I am still watching over you because now you know WHO'S YOUR DADDY.:veryangry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back