Going to make an X-pipe exhaust

Howard Jones

Supporter
Went looking for the original exhaust systems as run on the race cars. I found these. Then the others seam to be trying to keep collector length correct. The problem is obviously packaging verse esthetics. The fast and easy way is usually a two in and two out single muffler or two single round mufflers, your choice.

As far as low end power goes, 400Hp in these cars will spin the tires at will in 1st and 2nd gear in slow corners. The BEST advise I can give you is to install a Quaife TBD as well as the best tires you can find if you are worried about low speed performance. Maximum torque from a perfect exhaust system will not help you if the tires can't stop spinning.

Attachments

• GT40-agnew-ga-engine.jpg
    GT40-agnew-ga-engine.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 288
  • dec_mys4.jpg
    dec_mys4.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 252
  • 1076c.jpg
    1076c.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 288
  • 1965-ford-gt40-roads-8_600x0w.jpg
    1965-ford-gt40-roads-8_600x0w.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 273
  • engine6_full.jpg
    engine6_full.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 280
  • gen3-euro6-1.jpg
    gen3-euro6-1.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 269
  • megaphones_02.jpg
    megaphones_02.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 305

Keith

Went looking for the original exhaust systems as run on the race cars. I found these. Then the others seam to be trying to keep collector length correct. The problem is obviously packaging verse esthetics. The fast and easy way is usually a two in and two out single muffler or two single round mufflers, your choice.

As far as low end power goes, 400Hp in these cars will spin the tires at will in 1st and 2nd gear in slow corners. The BEST advise I can give you is to install a Quaife TBD as well as the best tires you can find if you are worried about low speed performance. Maximum torque from a perfect exhaust system will not help you if the tires can't stop spinning.

Interesting finds Howard. That's a bit of a risky set up in pic 1 though isn't it? Scavenging directly from header to rocker cover without a Reed valve would be asking for a catastrophic backfire calamity!

....The BEST advise I can give you is to install a Quaife TBD as well as the best tires you can find if you are worried about low speed performance. Maximum torque from a perfect exhaust system will not help you if the tires can't stop spinning.

I'm running a limited slip with 305 Nitto NT01 tires. They should hook up very well, but I understand what you are saying.

How about this?

I'm thinking, based on the tests I have seen, it would be best if the X-pipe was placed further down allowing the collector to be extended. This MIGHT be OK as is, but none of the tests I saw used this configuration. It was always lengthening the collector before any bends.

Note that the collector need not be over 18" it seems. For whatever reason, that length tended to be the magic number although anything over 9" or so seemed to work fairly well. One thing I noted was that there was no downside at any RPM range for running a collector so it was all gain.

Back