GT 40 Critics...

Hi Andy,
Good to hear from you. During the first few weeks of driving the GT It's a learning experience. You have all those apprehensions about the visibility and the low to the ground feeling. Now I never ever think about that stuff. I guess I have become accustom to the car and it no longer effects me. I think no more of driving this car than I do my Durango. The only difference is that I am totally enjoyiong the drive in the GT and the attention. After several long trips I have found this car to be an absolute enjoyment. I tell everybody that is is like driving a Lazy boy lounger down the highway. It is that comfortable. Not once did I have a moment of uncomfort on my trip from Ohio.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hersh. Could not agree with you more. I just drive mine and enjoy, with about the same rear view as I had with my '89 wide bodied Porsche speedster. In fact in some ways better, glass versus plastic. Long trips are no problem and I have done several with 5/6 hours in the car and get out fresh. I think provided you use common sense with your driving you won't have a problem with its lowness and visibility. Regards

Hi Norman,
There are several production cars out there that have worse visibility than the GT40. The one that comes to mind is the 1971-72 mustangs. They had a letter slot rear window and a large fast back that increased the blind spot by 40%. It was a difficult car to get used to in traffic.
I had the privledge of riding in Normans car for the trip to Phillip Island Historic races. It was a two hour trip and an abbsolute pleasure. Normans RFGT40 ran flawlessly and was very comfortable. Pretty quick too under Mr Logans right foot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Norman. Thank you again sir for the decals. They were a great help.

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Hersh
In the words of the great "Franco" in Gumball Rally :-
"The first rule of Italian driving. What's-a-behind me, does not-a-matter" (after ripping out the rear vision mirror from the Ferrari Daytona Spider and throwing it over his shoulder and out of the car) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bill.

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Norman,
There are several production cars out there that have worse visibility than the GT40. The one that comes to mind is the 1971-72 mustangs. They had a letter slot rear window and a large fast back that increased the blind spot by 40%. It was a difficult car to get used to in traffic.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's good to know the mustang was worse as I drove one of those for 2 years as a daily driver. FWIW I think the reason for the critics concern is not that he is intimidated by the build and looking for a way out but like many of us who love the GT40 (myself included) to come up with the money to build an RF we need to be able to plan on it being a daily driver to realise our dream. The way I read it was he wasn't comforatable with it on those terms and not everyone would be. I remember a similar posting from Dave Smith at Factory Five when he sat in his first 40. That said I'm still saving and looking forward to my 100 mile a day commute in a 40 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Chuck (ExPorsche) and I were talking the other morning and he told me about something I never thought of. Someone said you probably don't do much driving in traffic. Well, according to Chuck, it is hard to avoid driving in traffic. He related that on more than one occasion he got so corralled by gawkers looking at the car, he turned around and went home. It is nice to have people appreciate your car, but when they do it to the point that it becomes difficult to drive, that is too much. Something to think about.

MWGT40

Supporter
You do not need to worry about people seeing you in your 40. They will hear you long before! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back