GT-40 Donor chassis?

G

Peter

I'll take (2) at that price!!

Seriously, the $ 42k shown is US $$$.

MikeD

The ASPP isn't a very satisfying design.

Once you get past the nose it's like they gave up on trying to make it look like a GT40.

I wonder if it's even possible to make a fiero look like a GT40. You'd think so. They seem to do pretty well with the Lambo and Ferraris. At least, once they cut off the top and stretch the chassis.

Don't know. Something to thik about.

Doug

G

Doug, I believe there is a GT40 Fiero, the only thing that ruins it is the thing that ruins most donor kits, the windshield.

You should look for older uncompleted kits, that's going to be your best price and still look right.

Among kit cars though it's one of the more complicated/difficult kits. If you've never built a kit it would be a tough first one. You would need either a lot of learning, a lot of help, or both.

I gotta tell ya, it's not just of the windshield that's wrong with that ASPP.
wink.gif

If you look at the Countach kits, they have ditched the roof and windshield of the fiero, among other things, and have used the chassis in the way that is most like the automobile they are trying to replicate.
The chassis, without the roof line, is able to handle the extreme shapes of the Lambo. I'm thinking (I know, there he goes thinking again) that it's possible to get realistic shapes of the body of the GT40, using a fiero chassis.

What's been annoying, is that those that have tried to make a kit using the Fiero chassis, is that they have made their kits the easiest possible way. Not the way, that those that love the GT40's shape, would have used the Fiero chassis.

Is it possible to make a realistic GT40 body fit on a Fiero chassis? Am, what I'm thinking here, too radical?

I don't know.

What do you think?

D

[ February 08, 2002: Message edited by: Darth Sabre ]

[ February 08, 2002: Message edited by: Darth Sabre ]

G

I think the skills required to fit a
true shape GT40 body shell to a Fiero, is about the same as the skills necessary to fabricate a custom space frame chassis.
If you have the former...do the latter.

MikeD

1966 Ford GT40 Mark II
Asking Price: $17,900
Contact Name: Doug TenHaken
Phone: (740) 642-4146
Email: [email protected]
Mileage: 55,000
License #:
VIN:
Date Last Updated: 10/17/01

Description

NAF GT40 kit on '86 Fiero chassis, 2.8L V6, 4 speed, A/C, Halibrand style rims, lowered 1.5 inches, racing sway bars, urethane control arm bushings, black w/white stripes.

081_00001.jpg

[ February 08, 2002: Message edited by: Chris Melia ]
confused.gif

Sbarro GT40 replica is based on a De Tomaso Pantera.

GT40-1.gif

The Pantera conversion sits much too high in the back (maybe the engine is removed??).

And what are those wings on the front fenders?

Hi Bill

This could be because the ZFbox is not inverted, thus drive shaft angle may be the reason.

chris

Darth, the really good Ferrari and Lambo
Fiero kits use modified and stretched Fiero chassis.
They're the ones that look correct, and
can fit V8s midships if desired.
The cheap and easy kits just plunk an awkward
body on the stubby Fiero. The ASPP is the
same in these respects.
I'd agree with the rest and look for an
incomplete or second hand 40. Or, check out
GTD or Tornado. They are cheaper than CAV
and RF, and you can start with just the frame
and go from there.
Now, I recall that the Porsche 914 dimensions
are not too far off from the 40. Perhaps
one day someone might lok into that
wink.gif

Ian

Thanks Guys,

Your're right Ian that the Ferraris and Lamborghini kits are stretched. And, you can find people that will do that for you. I've checked into this and they tend to run in the $1000 to $1500 range. This is something that can be done to the Fiero. I think, the Fiero is about an 1 1/2" shorter than the GT40. And about 10" to 12" shorter than the Lambos and Ferraris. Considerably longer. I think, looking at photos, that companies rely too much on using the cabin as is, instead of looking to go for a more radical and realistic cabin.

Didn't know that about the 914. I'll have to look into that.

Thanks,
Doug

GT40 vs. 914 dimensions:

GT40 914
Height 40.5" 50.2"
Width 70" 68.3"
Length 168" 171"
Ground Cl 4" 5"
Wheelbase 95" 94.5"
Track F/R 55"/55" 58.2"/57.1"

Numbers aren't too awful, better than a Fiero or all those VW versions, and some can be
changed for better fit with after market
parts. And there are V8 conversions somewhere
I'm sure, and definitely the newer 911 motors
can be put in. But, by the time you spend $$
for all those mods, you're still better off
with a used GTD or Tornado.

Ian

[ February 08, 2002: Message edited by: Ian K ]

Touche' Sir Ian.
wink.gif

And you can get a 914 for darn cheap.

I've found a couple of different numbers on the 914. I've also found the numbers for the Fiero. I didn't include the height measurements, as I'd cut the top off at the A/B pillars and sell the windshield to recoup some money.

GT40/914/Fiero

Width 70"/65"/72"
Length 168"/159"/165"
Wheelbase 95"/96.5"/93.4"

If you don't alter the chassis at all, for the Fiero or 914, can you make a body for each chassis that would be suffiently close that you's need a tape measure to tell the difference?

Again, I don't know. Heck, I don't know if the measurements I've found on the web are correct. But, if they are it looks like the Fiero is surprisingly close.

I know this is just mental masturbation, unless I plan to do something about it. But, like I said when I first posted this topic, I am pretty new to this whole thing. And, I'm trying to find out as much as possible, so when I do do something about it, I'll make an informed decision.

Doug

Ron Earp

Admin
Darth,

My recommendation, wrong though it might be for some, is to find a GT40 replica that has in bad repair or not finished - it will take awhile but probably worth it.

Save some cash and purchase that, build it, and get it on the road.

In the end, you'll have a car that will be a whole lot better than something you make from a Fiero (I'm a former Fiero owner and like the cars, but they have limitations) or 914.

If you get a nice 914, make it a nice 914 - they're neat cars. But they don't make GT40s, nor do Fieros.

Any modern replica (new,older or unfinished), will offer more performance and "GT40ness" than any "kit car" body add-on.

My 0.02 cents and it won't agree with all. But there it is. I think the cost of getting a Fiero (~$2000), putting in a V8 ($2000-?) depending on tune, body kit (~$2000), fitting, paint, general fiddling and fooling around, etc. - you're going to have about $6000 minimum in the car. Sure, it is cheap - but it will look it. I'd frankly rather have a stock looking V8 Fiero sleeper and leave it at that: orginal car, great performance, and cheap.

R

[ February 08, 2002: Message edited by: Ron Earp ]

This is just for fun. I did a quick drawing to show what the GT40, using the proportions of a Fiero, could look like. It's a little rough but it gives you the idea.

Doug

GT40FieroChassis.jpg

Doug,

I am building a GT40 on a 1974 Pantera frame. I'm like you having to operate on a tight budget (if only my kids were all grown) but it can be done. I currently have a GT40 CD on eBay that covers my project, has videos of GT40 parts all spread across the yard (including the MKI & MKII with snorkels) and it would help you. Just go to eBay and type a search for "GT40 cd" and you'll see it. All of my last 10 listings sold out in 3 days so I put them on again, this time as a DUTCH AUCTION (so everyone can get one at the lowest bid). I have on there lots of information for the backyard GT40 projects we all think about.

If I could afford it, I'd love to have an ERA or GTD, they're superb! But I had to find an alternative and that was to buy a frame (mid-engine) and purchase GT40 body parts that were built to spec (sorry but I don't want anything that's not the actual body shape of the GT40).

Anyway, good luck on your project and keep in touch with this forum. These technical guys are fantastic! I'm learning a lot.

John

G

Peter Delaney,
You say the RF kit costs 42,000 Australian dollars in Australia and that equals 22,000 in US dollars, well when it gets to the States it costs 45,000 US dollars plus shipping. If your figures are correct we in the US dont benefit at all from the exchange rate, in fact we are paying more than double the price you pay in Australia.
The price of 45,000 US dollars was sent to me from mr Gordon Levy on 7-27-01. Would someone out there explain to me the math on the pricing we have here, if these facts are true. Does anyone else know what these cars cost in Australia, New zealand, England and South Africa. I would like to see a price on this forum of all these cars. It would be a great servive to anyone who wants to purchase a GT40. Lets get it out in the open.

Hi Malcolm

In the UK.
The Tornado Kit is £4495 ($6400)+ Vat ( Vat is only payable in EU countries) this is the current price for a basic TS40 body/chassis kit including specially fabricated wishbones and suspension links.

The GTD 40 basic Kit is £4500 + Vat.

You will need to sort out screens, door handles, radiator, wheels, seats, carpets, wipers, washer, trans, engine, exhaust's, lights, shift linkage, electrics and plumbing.

There are lots of second hand GT40's for sale from around £12,000 ($17,000) for a poor example upto about £30,000 ($42,600) for a good road going car.

The original GT40 used lots of part's of other cars and part of the chalenge for me was to identify these parts and find them.

Chris Melia
wink.gif
wink.gif

[ February 15, 2002: Message edited by: Chris Melia ]

[ February 15, 2002: Message edited by: Chris Melia ]

Malcolm K,

My DRB(GT40 Australia) minus/minus, with a

few options, was $46K plus shipping. I'll

have $65K in it when finished, incuding air

freight and customs. The car is completely

finished save for engine and transaxle,

which are waiting in my garage. The car is

scheduled for delivery on the 26th of this

month.

The exchange rate, as of a few days ago,

was $.505, meaning US dollars are worth

twice as much as Australian dollars.

I think that I got a lot for my money.

If you would like particulars on what

options,etc. that I got, email me. I

would be happy to send you a copy of the

spreadsheet that details the options, and

their corresponding prices, keeping in mind

that this was quoted in June of 2001.

Bill

Hey Chris,

$6,400 for a body and chassis? That's alot cheaper than I thought it would be. I know you would still need to get ALOT more stuff to complete the project but, it's a resonable start.

Here's another little doodle. I think it more closely resembles what is possible.

fiero_20chassis_202.jpg

Back