GT Developments

Bart Roberts

Supporter
I posted recently that I acquired a windshield that was for a GTD car. When I bought the windshield the guy gave me some doors, rockers and roof spider. He reached back out to me and says he has some other GTD stuff. I'm not that familiar with GTD. I know they are no longer around. Can someone shed some background? How was their chassis? Was their body authentic looking? etc.
Thanks, Bart

Malcolm

Supporter
I have had a GTD since 1990 now so have skin in the game! GTD made approximately 400 chassis/cars. They supplied comprehensive kits if you bought the full kit down to the last self tapping screw. Stopped production a long time back, bit of a messy and sad end to a good product. The car has a space frame chassis and the body was authentic looking. Check out Trevor Legate's GT40 book. There is a chapter in there on replicas plus the cover picture is of Robin Batts GTD! More GTD shots inside. No idea why he did not use an original car for the cover shot but there you go, the GTD shape is sufficiently authentic enough for that use. Southern GT used the same body as GTD but now AK have the Southern GT brand I think they are making their own bodies going forward, but check that with Neil at AK. A good number of owners tracked their GTD. I rarely saw any other GT40 replica brand on track (UK) when I used to track my car and when you did they were much slower by comparison. My opinion is that the GTD is now second only to AK/Southern GT as a tube frame chassis but was the best, and the benchmark, for many years prior to Southern GT coming to the market. Others will obviously have their own opinions! You could upgrade the GTD chassis to part Southern GT spec at the rear and there are many other standardised upgrades you could do to GTD to personalise or improve the performance.

If your contact has enough stuff to form another GTD then that would be a worthwhile project.

Bart Roberts

Supporter
I have had a GTD since 1990 now so have skin in the game! GTD made approximately 400 chassis/cars. They supplied comprehensive kits if you bought the full kit down to the last self tapping screw. Stopped production a long time back, bit of a messy and sad end to a good product. The car has a space frame chassis and the body was authentic looking. Check out Trevor Legate's GT40 book. There is a chapter in there on replicas plus the cover picture is of Robin Batts GTD! More GTD shots inside. No idea why he did not use an original car for the cover shot but there you go, the GTD shape is sufficiently authentic enough for that use. Southern GT used the same body as GTD but now AK have the Southern GT brand I think they are making their own bodies going forward, but check that with Neil at AK. A good number of owners tracked their GTD. I rarely saw any other GT40 replica brand on track (UK) when I used to track my car and when you did they were much slower by comparison. My opinion is that the GTD is now second only to AK/Southern GT as a tube frame chassis but was the best, and the benchmark, for many years prior to Southern GT coming to the market. Others will obviously have their own opinions! You could upgrade the GTD chassis to part Southern GT spec at the rear and there are many other standardised upgrades you could do to GTD to personalise or improve the performance.

If your contact has enough stuff to form another GTD then that would be a worthwhile project.

Thanks Malcom. He has a lot of stuff including molds of a GTD with widebody "Gulf Style" rear. I have not committed to get the molds but I have gotten a few things. The windshield fits the roof spider I got from him that was GTD but it also fits a roof spider I got from Jay Cushman that I was told like by Bill Hough. But it's a tangled web we weave. I will email AK/Southern GT and inquire about maybe changing the rear suspension.

I posted recently that I acquired a windshield that was for a GTD car. When I bought the windshield the guy gave me some doors, rockers and roof spider. He reached back out to me and says he has some other GTD stuff. I'm not that familiar with GTD. I know they are no longer around. Can someone shed some background? How was their chassis? Was their body authentic looking? etc.
Thanks, Bart
I have a GTD. If that guy you're talking with that had the spare GTD parts has anything you don't need please let me know. Always looking for upgrades and spares for mine. Here is a picture of my car.
20221009_085521.jpg

That's pretty cool, we're a little less than 3 hours apart. I live in Eutawville, SC Maybe sometime I could take a look in person if that's OK?
Absolutely. It's currently getting the carbs rebuilt but should have it back in the next few weeks. Feel free to shoot me a PM and we will exchange contact info.

Back