GT40 Australia #27

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Well Peter at least now you can open the champers and not have to lose sleep over the bastards. What a saga!! Something for me to look forward too. Thank you for writing about it in detail as your experiance will help me go 1. as prepared as possible and 2. Not be too pissed off when they knock me back the first half dozen times. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Pete - the champers has been opened & emptied ! With that much on board, sleep came easily !

You have accurately identified the 2 key elements :

- Preparation : if you have a good Engineer, he will go through a huge check-list with you on what is required. At the end of the day, there's not a lot of difference between building it right & building it wrong - the effort is much the same, but the outcomes are different !

- Depression Management : a few times there, I got close to packing it all in (heat of the moment stuff). When I cooled off, I thought "screw this, I've got too much time & effort invested here to let some bureacrat just take it away - I'll just wear them down. Whatever they want, I'll do, because at the end of the day, they'll run out of hurdles & then I'll have a GT40 on the road, and they won't" ! It took a while, but it came true !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Peter, I think your last sentence sums it up. "I'll have a GT40 on the road and they won't" Congratulations and as we in Oz say "Good Onya mate".Are you making it up this way for Indy?

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Thanks mate ! Unfortunately, Indy is not a goer this year - I have 3 year's worth of "Obssessive Compulsive Disorder" behaviour to make up for around here ! Catching up on "quality time" with all these strangers who seem to live in my house (some of whom have grown at least a foot since the '40 arrived) !

However, next year is a new year - starting off with the AGP, then a "sausage sizzle" or 2 at PR's, & maybe Indy. I might have even got rid of all the clunks & rattles by then !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Well, its now been a few months since we managed to get the car registered, & very few of the "immediate fix" items have been addressed so far - the temptation to drive the car was just too much !!

I'll try to catch up a bit & throw in a few random pics on the way.

Every time I drive it, the incentive to take it off the road for the bigger jobs just seems to evaporate ! However, there has been a bit of progress on some of the more minor items :

a) Seats : I bought a pair of Robert Logan's seats for 2 reasons
- They are beautifully made & look so damn good
- Robert had all the ADR test reports available, so there was going to be no hassle with the rego

Unfortunately, they just don't suit a DRB which has a folded steel floor like the originals - the seat sits about an inch higher than it does in the RF with its flat aly floor pan, so even at my height (5' 9") I had zero headroom.

I had 2 options - modify the floor pan as per the DRB "dropped floor option", or change the seats. The thought of cutting & welding the floor so close to the fuel tanks did not appeal too much, so I have gone with the seat change. I started with the very early DRB f/glass shells that came with the car, but found that the driver's one was too wide at the front & stopped me getting at the handbrake. After all the work that went into that damn handbrake, I wasn't going to touch it, so V.1 of the seat involved slicing a V-shaped section out of the centre - from nothing at the top, to 95mm at the bottom front. With some temporary foam & seat covers, it worked well - I can operate the handbrake, my head doesn't hit the door tops, & I have an inch or more "arm room" fore & aft. However, I overdid the slimming exercise around the hip area, so I will graft in an extra 1/2" on each side for those sections in V.2 - 1/2" to get me comfortable now & another 1/2" for when I put a bit more weight on !! Once I am happy with the setup, I'll get the seats done in leather with the eyelets, etc.

b) Carpet & Trim : I was going to get a professional to do the whole lot, but started playing around with some "temporary" carpet & found that it was really quite easy, so I just kept going ! The headlining & door trims are way beyond my skill, so these will get done by the professionals.

The thing that kept me going on the carpeting was the reduction in engine noise when I did the rear cabin bulkhead first - huge difference in mechanical engine noise. I didn't use any insulation material, but just stuck the carpet directly onto the bulkhead & engine hatch panel (which on the DRB, is already a sandwich insulated panel). On the centre tunnel, I stuck a layer of 3mm closed-cell neoprene over it, then the carpet - that virtually eliminated the tunnel as a heat source.

Attachments

• 52881-FrontRight.jpg
    52881-FrontRight.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 642

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
c) Exhaust System : I originally had a somewhat temporary "loop-back" setup with CATS, huge mufflers & lengths of simple "pipe bent" 2" exit pipes - it did the job, but looked ugly & was not too inspiring in the sound department. For a joke, we set up a really basic system where the collectors ran into a single small unchambered muffler - dual 2.5" in, dual 2.5" out - bloody hell ! It was unbearable - rattled all the windows & doors in the house when idling in the garage & was going to get me arrested out on the road ! I went back to the original "loop back" design with CATS, but 2.5" pipes (mandrell bends) & smaller mufflers - this setup seems like the ideal compromise. The house doesn't rattle, I don't wake up any more than the immediate neighbours, & I could probably sit at the lights beside the cops & smile ! However, when it gets some stick over 3000rpm, it is a different story - the famous GT40 howl just takes over ! The attached pic shows the new setup in rough form - once I get it trimmed up & the outlet pipes set staraight, then it will go off to get coated. The headers had already been done in Jet-Hot & after a few hours on the dyno, looked like I had painted them in grey undercoat - not happy ! I am taking my time in looking at alternatives, but a new teflon coating is looking promising (see pics in Gallery - Chezzeris).

d) ECU Tuning : Due to the extreme time constraints in getting the car through emissions testing, we only managed to map the really basic things in up to 3000rpm. Now that things are more relaxed, we have had an initial shot at finishing the mapping & the results are amazing - I reckon that we are seeing at least another 80-100hp up near the top end, but all the low end stuff remained the same, but with more torque. Some time in the next month or two, we'll run it up on the dyno to extract the last few percent !

Attachments

• 52882-Engine.jpg
    52882-Engine.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 646

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
e) Rattles & Clunks : I finally bit the bullet & pulled all the rear suspension down to re-check alignment & re-tension everything. That was a major pain as I had to remove most of the fuel system from the RHS tank cover to get at the front of the lower trailing arm - just as well I did, because I found that I had not fully tightened up the main nut/bolt thru the end of the arm ! When all was double-checked & re-assembled, all the big nasty clunks had gone & I am just left with a small orchestra of minor rattles over very rough roads. I have no idea of what is "normal" in terms of noise from spherical joints, but they are my principal suspects & I may end up replacing the rather random selection that I inherited (some have little dish-shaped grease nipples which are absolute buggers to get to & use, others have no grease nipples & I assume that they are the teflon types).

The following is a pic of the rattles & clunks - let me know if you can see them, because I'll be damned if I can !!!

Attachments

• 52884-FrontLeft.jpg
    52884-FrontLeft.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 637

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
f) Electrifying Fun : Back on the road for a few days after the rear supension work & all was going well - until the car just stopped dead. I pulled over, waited a minute, then restarted & all went ok for a mile or so, then dead stop again. After 4 of these sessions, I finally got back home & plugged the PC in for some diagnostics - First, I pulled a log file from the ECU, but all it told me was that the engine stopped 4 times - with the Autronic, you can only log 16 channels/parameters, & naturally I was logging all the ones that told me nothing relevant. I spoke to a few mates who suggested that it sounded like a loss of power to the ECU (perhaps a faulty alarm/immobiliser), so I reset the logging channels to include ECU volts & a few other go/no-go parameters, & started it up again in the garage. Sure enough, after 15 mins, it just died - no coughs, spits - just plain dead. When I checked the log file this time, I could see that the ECU volts went from around 11 down to 8.4 - about half a second before it died. Ah-ha, I thought - they were right - but wait - the fan died at the same time as the engine, but then burst back into life 4 or 5 seconds later - ???? When I figured it out, I realised that the fan is not yet controlled by the ECU - just a manual switch on the dash, so the volts drop must have been further back toward the battery than the alarm, etc.
A couple of scotches / hours later, I had worked my way back to the main fusible links & found the problem - the one that provides power to the Ign Sw (& hence the ECU & fan control) had a badly burnt contact. I am not sure what type of setup most people use, but mine is a Holden Commodore / Ford Laser link block with male spade terminals, & the fusible links are modular units with female spade connectors which plug into the link block. Rather than use the original modular link units which came with my junkyard link block, I bought all new ones (4 x 40A) - I should have left well enough alone ! The new ones were some cheap Taiwanese jobs & had very little "grip" on the spade connectors - the old ones were a nice solid fit. I reckon that with such a loose fit, some arcing happened & once things got really hot, the connector went high resistance & dropped the volts. Given a minute or two to cool down, full contact was re-established until it all heated up again. It all then seemed logical, so I have 4 new links from GM/Holden installed & the whole problem has gone away - just goes to show what I should have already known from the wheel bearing exercise - don't use cheap 3rd party parts - ever, ever !!!!
g) Rear Clip Support Straps : After putting up with bits of fencing wire for months, I decided that it was time to set up some decent way of holding the rear clip open. I had previously toyed with the idea of gas struts & solid struts (to avoid having a gust of wind shut the whole thing on my head), but decided that it was all too hard. If there is a breeze, I'll just jamb a broomstick in place to stop a disaster ! I settled on a pair of simple 1" webbing straps with hooks at each end - these just fit into brackets on the clip & on the rear suspension posts (the latter also serve as heat shields to protect the nylon sway-bar bearing blocks which had started to bubble in the heat from the nearby exhaust pipes).

Attachments

• 52885-BackUp.jpg
    52885-BackUp.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 628

Ron Earp

Admin
Peter, the car looks great! I look forward to hearing more drive reports and seeing some dyno/track numbers, awesome!

Ron

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Hi Peter,

Depending on how hot things get by the exhaust, you may want to reconsider the use of the webbing for the rear bodywork. I've seen a few pics lately with either steel cable or simple bolted arms to restrain it. I'd hate to see a car burn up over something so avoidable.

That said, I might just be overly paranoid...

Cheers,
Chris

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Thanks Ron - we have a few local guys who have just got their cars on the road, so some "drive days" are coming up after the initial rounds of "de-bugging" !

As to the dyno, that will have to wait a while till I digest the staggering costs of the "rush to rego". Also, my wife broke her leag last week, so I am learning a whole bunch of skills which I don't want !!

Chris, I am phobic and paranoid about heat around the engine (specially after melting a perfectly good gear-shift cable a few months ago). The webbing straps are removeable - they just have a hook at each end & they normally live in a door-pocket.

Re the heat, I have little heat shields all over the place :

- between the headers & the back of the fuel rails

- over the exit points for the fuel lines coming up thru the tank cover

- between the headers & the swirl tank

- round the nylon bearing blocks for the rear sway bar

At this stage, they are all just raw aly, but when time & $ allow, they'll get the teflon coating treatment.

The whole of the underneath of the rear clip is insulated with some 1/2" peel & stick high temp foam stuff (done mainly to cut down on mechanical engine noise for the rego tests), & then the area directly above the engine/exhaust has the standard silver RF heat shield sheet as well - its not quite as good a fit as when fitted to an RF, but very close.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Time for an update on Odds & Sods, Clunks & Rattles, etc !

Air Conditioning - I had left this until I was fairly sure that the engine wasn't going to come out again. All that was required was to connect the pipes up to the compressor & gas it up. My friendly mobile A/C guy dropped in & this was all done, so testing began. Very cold air, but an absolute dribble of it ! When I checked mine against a mate's setup, I discovered that some previous owner of the Sanden under-dash unit had reversed the fan/motor assembly - the fan blade curves were pointing in the wrong direction ! A whole day later, it was fixed & I now have a good stream of cool air. Not wanting to de-gas / re-gas the system, I elected to do it all in-situ - a few hours to completely remove the seats & the dash, a couple of hours of lying inverted (language was quite colourful during this process), and it was done. A fully working A/C system, just in time for winter !!

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Cooling System Leaks - Right from the beginning, I had an annoying minor leak from the top of the header tube – when the system heated up, the excess coolant dribbled down the outside of the tube, but when cooling, it seemed to suck in fresh coolant from the recovery tank. This meant that the system never actually got pressurised, and I had to keep an eye on the coolant level in the recovery tank. I managed to forget about this once, & was rewarded with air in the system, boiling, bleeding, bleeding & more bleeding !

Check the green goo !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Attachments

• 60469-HeaderTube-Old.jpg
    60469-HeaderTube-Old.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 608

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
That was it – time to do something. Peter Ransom at GT40 Australia very kindly sent me a brand new header tube which was made from thicker-walled alloy tubing & had a really nice machined billet top for the pressure cap to fit into.

The pic shows it mounted off the recovery tank, as opposed to the old setup where it was mounted to a rocker cover bolt. The green coolant in this pic is just a bit left over from the bleeding process - trust me - it does not leak any more !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Attachments

• 60471-HeaderTube-New.jpg
    60471-HeaderTube-New.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 566

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
While fitting this, I also took the opportunity to change the routing of the bleed line that comes forward from the 2 water ports on top of the rear of the DC&O manifold. This was originally fitted into a spigot on the header tube, and not wanting to fit a new spigot into the new tube, I re-routed it to an AN spigot on the RF thermo housing (Robert Logan fits these as standard to his thermo housings).

Another reason for this change was that the original header tube was mounted to the engine, whilst the new tube is mounted on the side of the recovery tank & I didn’t want to transmit the full engine vibration down the bleed line to a small spigot fixed effectively to the body of the header tube.

The net results of this little project were firstly, No Leaks ! and secondly, the system runs about 3-4 degC cooler than before – it will now sit on 88degC with no fan when its moving, & much the same when sitting still with the fan on – why – I don’t know !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Attachments

• 60472-BleedSpigot.jpg
    60472-BleedSpigot.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 585

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Clunks & Rattles - Progress on the cooling front encouraged me to start a serious search for the clunks & rattles coming from the rear of the car. Up onto jack stands, check all torque on all the nuts & bolts – nothing suspicious found – frustration ! Then for some reason, I grabbed a drive shaft & shook it up & down – lo & behold – clunking noises ! It turned out that I had something like 0.5mm end-play across both axes of the uni joint “spiders” on 3 of the 4 (almost new) uni’s !

The drive shafts came out & I took them to my Corvette expert – he did some checks & declared them to be cheap no-name ones & “pretty much shot” (actually, a much more colourful description than that !). He just happened to have the correct “real” ones in stock (Federal Mogul, made in USA), so half an hour later they were in. When I finally got around to re-painting them, letting them dry, waiting for the rain to stop, etc., a test drive revealed a very noticeable reduction in clunks – yee-haaa !

After discovering this source of noise, I really laid into the suspension with the car up on the stands & the suspension dropped fully down – next source found ! The spherical (rose) joints at both ends of the AVO coil-overs had play in them – enough to easily feel & hear (& even to see). I double checked everything to make sure that it wasn’t the eyes moving on the bolts & confirmed that the play was in the rose joints themselves.

I ran a query on the Forum & Dennis Bedford confirmed that he had trouble with these way back (& had replaced them with bushes). I then contacted AVO who told me that, unlike their newest range of shocks, the older ones (which naturally, I have !) can not have the AVO poly bushes fitted as an alternative – they can only have replacement rose joints installed. (So I am guessing that Dennis must have made up his own bushes). Seeing that my car has only done around 3500kms, and that the rattles have been there since Day 1, I have no faith in any replacement rose joints from AVO – so I am looking at the options – new high-quality Teflon rose joints from another supplier, or get some poly bushes made up.

No pics of clunks & rattles - this is the best I can come up with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif !!!

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Dipstick Replacement - My original disptick was something from a Fairlane or F100 - stuck up between the headers, no idea of calibration & ended up with a melted plastic handle - absolutely useless !

Attachments

• 60474-PDDipstick.jpg
    60474-PDDipstick.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 611

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Sorry about my spelling in the last post - what a Dipstick !

Thanks to Colin D, I now have a nice Lokar flexible job that is all alloy and actually reads correctly ! The trick is that if you get the Lokar Part # ED-5004, it is specifically made to fit in the side block entry point of the SB302 - therefore, calibration is unnecessary as the markings are correct for the oil level height relative to the crank, regardless of the size of the sump - you just fill until it is right !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Attachments

• 60475-NewDipstick.jpg
    60475-NewDipstick.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 584

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
A very quick update - lots of fun & dramas since the last post :

- Cut & buffed the paintwork (such a simple phrase !). Once I had got into this, I remembered why I had kept putting it off ! One round of 1000grit, one of 1500grit, one of 2000grit, then machine & hand buff, then polish - I never want to do that again !

- Gearbox out for a rebuild - new synchros & a taller 5th. What I got back was no 2nd gear & a really noisy new 5th !
It has now gone back for rebuild#2 - no further comment required !

- While the box was out, I replaced all the dubious rose joints in the rear with aircraft-quality teflon ones from National Bearings. Major reduction in clunks & rattles, but I still have a problem with the AVO shocks as the bearing housings in the end hoops are slightly oversize (I can run two layers of teflon plumbers tape around the bearings & still push them into the housings by hand) - I am trying to figure out a fix for this.

- The seats went to the upholsterer during g'box rebuild#1, but wharf delays prevented the arrival of the leather hides. Hopefully they will be here in the next day or so & I can get the seats done during g'box rebuild#2 !

- I had the exhaust system recoated in ceramic silver, along with a whole bunch of other brackets, bits & pieces, etc. That looked great until I had a fault in one of the igniters that left me limping home with 2 cyls not firing - the unburnt fuel load going into one of the CAT's got things bright red hot, so the new ceramic finish is now ruined on that side. As always, 5 steps forward, 4 back !

- In between g'box rebuilds #1 & #2, I had to have the car ready to be centre-stage at Castrol's big launch event for their new oil "Edge". In spite of no 2nd gear, we made it & it was well worth while. The GT40 drew far more interest than all the Jap street machines & drifters - it was surprising how many young petrol-heads found it hard to believe that the design is 40 years old !

At the Castrol Edge launch :

Attachments

• 72990-GT40.JPG
    72990-GT40.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 572
Peter,
Congratulations on the show. It isn't that surprising about the younger guys having an interest in your car. The design is timeless. You are suffering the building blues that we all go through during a build. Mine is bending a panel in its mirror image and having to start over. Stainless is so much fun to work with. My last one was just an attachment tab(5 inches long), so I straighned it and rebent it in place on the car. Since it won't be seen it worked out. Besides it gives us something to do with the car, and keeps us oput of "other" things.

Bill

Back