GT40 Australia #32 - Time for Rebuild

Awesome Craig, I need to step up a gear and get my car painted.
I bet the pearl white stripes look awesome aswell. Looking forward to
seeing it finished.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Absolutely beautiful job Craig - love the colour ! The stripes look so good that I am sorely tempted (note to self - STOP IT !".

You are now on the home straight - can't be long now !!

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Ron Earp

Admin
That car looks awesome, nice work!!!!! I know you are excited about getting it home and starting up work on it again!!!!!

Ron

Here is a question for you Craig - are you going to use black or clear colored borders around your head lamps?

Regards

Jack

Actually I'm thinking about using matching blue borders. Apparently you can get transparent primer for plastic, then paint blue colour. Well this was the info from the painter.

I don't think black would look right.

I really want to paint them so you don't see all the muck that settles underneath the edges.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Hi Craig, I was originally going to do the edges of the light covers & rear window in body colour, but when I thought about the hassles of masking / priming / 2-pack painting, I decided to try just putting a very soft closed-cell foam strip (peel-off sticky-back) around the recesses in the body.

Initially, I put one thin strip each side of the bolt-holes (see pic of light covers), but later changed the rear window setup to a single strip with holes punched for the bolts (second pic). Next time I remove the light covers, I'll replace the rubber with the wider single strip + punched holes.

Note - the pics are not too good - they seem to show the rubber as being a brown colour (flash problem) - they are dead flat black.

The rubber I used was from "Farnell" here in Sydney - the part # for the thinner 5mm strip is 536-799, but I don't have a record of the part # for the wider strip (about 12mm). It is so soft that it compresses down to almost nothing (from an original thickness of 3mm).

The only trick that I later found was to soak the top surface of the rubber (once installed) with silicone spray - that stopped it from from sticking to the perspex.

You will definitely need some form of "gasket" under the perspex edges to stop crap & water - this stuff does the job, and the black colour is not all that noticeable as it provides a matt finish, rather than the super-shiny "in your face" finish that paint under the perspex will give you.

Hope this helps a bit.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Attachments

• DCP_0692 (Medium).JPG
    DCP_0692 (Medium).JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 482
  • DCP_0689 (Medium).JPG
    DCP_0689 (Medium).JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 465
Back