GT40 Crystal

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
I would imagine that this process uses two lasers posistioned orthogonally that constructively interfere at the point at which you wish to have the glass fractured. This should be able to produce submicro fractures in the glass for fantastic resolution.

Jeez Ron what the hell does that mean??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
R

[/ QUOTE ]

Not being an expert, but when has that ever stopped me before...Maybe it's two and the intersection of the beams is where the fracture takes place. I remember doing a job at NASA once and they had this really cool machine that made mock-ups of various parts. A lasar was focused on a bed which was submersed in a special liquid. As the lasar traced out the pattern, the liquid was turned to a solid and the bed was moved lower and lower into the liquid as the part was built up. Very neat. I think I watched for something like an hour before being chased back to work. I'm not sure that this lasar would have created a rod if allowed to shine all the way through the vat if the bed was removed, or if it focused specifically at the plane where the bed sat. Probably way above my head for understanding. Neat stuff, though.

Ron Earp

Admin
Pete, it means basically what Pat said is simple terms. The lasers are 90 degrees to one another (orthogonal) and where they meet is where the fracture can occur. It could eb accomplished with a single laser and lens system but it would not be nearly as precise and would result in some residual heating (and maybe fracture) at unwanted spots.

Ron

[ QUOTE ]
Not being an expert, but when has that ever stopped me before...Maybe it's two and the intersection of the beams is where the fracture takes place. I remember doing a job at NASA once and they had this really cool machine that made mock-ups of various parts.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is known as stereo lithography. It is a polymer that is cured when heated by a laser. It is good for making cheap 3-D mockups, etc. The tolerance is only about .003 inches.

You guys are getting too high tech! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
I like to think that it was magic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif,
just like the car represented! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You're right Gary, now I remember the name. Fun to watch a part actually grow right before your eyes.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Phewww, all this is getting a little to complicated for a simple boy from the bush. Look forward to seeing the real thing

Well said Pete, but as Bill said it's nothing more than magic. Plain and simple.
Everyone that has shown an interest should have a reply from me by now. If you do not please e-mail me @ [email protected] and I will make sure you are on the list. It's filling up fast.
John

Ron,
With the addition of the new" GT40 Memorabilia" section I would like you to move this one on over to were it belongs.
Thanks!!
They're are almost all spoken for (maybe 8 left to go) so like I said the 50 then that's it. Sorry if this messes anyone up that was holding out until December. I would like to see them all spoken for so I can make the X-mas day requests.
Thanks again Ron. Great job.
John

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
John,

I have posted on the forum and sent Ron an email saying that I would be happy to be the moderator for that forum (as I was nominated after having suggested it in the first place), however this has not happened as yet, I guess Ron is busy.

If he does do this, then I will move this thread, & others I know of, to the appropriate forum.

Max

Here are a few better pictures just incase there are any people still left on the fence. Note they do not have the GT logo but the "new" ones will. Just a couple left and December 6th (the cut off) is coming up fast. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
John

Attachments

• 25717-bottomsideSMALL.jpg
    25717-bottomsideSMALL.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 324
OK guys today is the last day. I will be ordering in the pieces tommorrow. If you are at all interested let me know.
I may do a few extra just to round it to a even number but that will be it.
Take care and happy holidays,
John

Attachments

• 26465-DSC00048.jpg
    26465-DSC00048.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 342
Back