GT40/p 2***

I own a gt40 chassis with a particular Chassis number

I assume Its a continuation chassis number but the original GT40/p 2*** is followed by three letters (AAM).

"GT40 P 2*** AAM"

What kind of continuation chassis might this be? I always thought the SPF's didn't had any letters after the GT40P 2*** section,

Thank you guys!

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
What kind of continuation chassis might this be? I always thought the SPF's didn't had any letters after the GT40P 2*** section

That't what I thought too. My SPF has no letters after the four digits. I suggest you ask Superformance. I'd be interested to hear the answer.

My SPF came with no serial number - I was later given a blank plate, bought some punch dies and had at it...I guess I should have been more creative on the serial number.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Mike the you will find the last two numbers stamped all over the car. My car 2164 has 64 stamped in many places.

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
The car is not registered yet. Here in Belgium, in theory, it is quite easy to steel chassis numbers from a unregistered car. :uneasy:

Thanks.

Here (in the US) it is funny that people will blank out the numbers or license plate numbers in a photo when 10,000 may see both if they like in any parking lot.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
... you will find the last two numbers stamped all over the car. My car 2164 has 64 stamped in many places.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
Is that how the chassis is otherwise indentified, two numbers in various locations on the chassis are supposed to match the ID tag that represents the VIN? Curious because I have a "creative" idea to register an "R".

Here (in the US) it is funny that people will blank out the numbers or license plate numbers in a photo when 10,000 may see both if they like in any parking lot.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
Always wondered that myself :shrug:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Is that how the chassis is otherwise indentified, two numbers in various locations on the chassis are supposed to match the ID tag that represents the VIN? Curious because I have a "creative" idea to register an "R".

Always wondered that myself :shrug:

No "creative" thing needs be done to register an "R". The MSO is turned into the DMV like any other car. It DOES say that it is intended as a "race car" but so long as it meets your state requirements it should be registerable.

All Superformance products have numerous ID numbers over the chassis/body. All removeable panels will have a 1" round disc with a four digit chassis number. On a GT40 these are bonded to the inside of the doors, you can see them when you remove the door storage insert. They are also on the front and rear removeable body panels.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Stackelberg,

I remember reading in the Shelby Registry that there were some early chassis that went out before the deal with Safir was made.

I'll check the Registry tonight when I get home.

Hi

If you wnt so local (Belgian) advise on regsitration etc, pls ctc me. I have gone trough it all and it is rather a bumpy road.

We are some guys with a registered GTY40 in Belgium.

Rgds
Fred

Thank you Fred.

So anyone any idea who might have granted these continuation numbers other then Safir?

My chassis (All tough it has been modified and restored) has been around since at least 17 years (At least that's where my provenance ends). I would like to try to find the origin of these numbers/chassis.

Thanks

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Thank you Fred.

So anyone any idea who might have granted these continuation numbers other then Safir?

My chassis (All tough it has been modified and restored) has been around since at least 17 years (At least that's where my provenance ends). I would like to try to find the origin of these numbers/chassis.

Thanks

17 years? Not an SPF!

Ron Earp

Admin
I suspect whomever made the chassis decided that put the number there and figured GT40/P20** was as good a place as any to start. Maybe the car was meant to be a replica of a GT40/P10** and the "2" makes sure that it isn't being passed off as original.

Seventeen years ago that probably worked out well but now the SPF GT40 replicas use P2*** numbers.

In view of the age being pre-SPF would it help if the OP clarifies if the chassis is monocoque or spaceframe ?

Back