GT40 Restoration Site

Jim, While I still admire the craftsmanship demonstrated in the restoration of #1076, I definitely see your point. I couldn't imagine anyone would embrace the idea of stewardship of historic race cars more completely than you do. J6 is indeed in very good hands.

Regards,
Mark

Howard Jones

Supporter
I think that this is a good example of the level of worksmanship that I wish I could achieve on my build. BUT If I ever was able to own a real racecar with a historic race record, I think I would NOT repaint or redo the seat for example. Repair to make the car safe so that it could be driven at historic events etc. would be the limit of a refit project. These guys clearly are pro car builders in their own right. Maybe a car of their own design would be a good idea. I would love to see the result.

Having worked on many race cars & sport cars over the years ,Yhe question I ask is; Do you want a preservation or restoration job. I find that the definition seems to have changed over the years. In the '70's it was maintain it...'80's restore it....'90's it's preserve it.... both difficult! But it all comes down to what the customer's definition of the two processes are, what he wants, & what the costs are.
Paul Bearman, I found an old number I wrote down on my tool box in 1972. It's a Dupont lacquer light blue color that I used on my race car. And yes I painted my Lotus Europa in Gulf colors to race in SCCA club racing. I used "Hugger Orange" which should be easy to find. Hope this helps.
wink.gif

Paul Bearman, sorry I didn't write down the number in that post " brain fade " I guess??? The Dupont paint code number is 96581A-Lt. Blue. I will email you direct also.

Incredible. The detail to which that car was restored is unbelieveable.

[ February 10, 2003: Message edited by: Bill D ]

The car is absolutely gorgeous. I can look at a car like that and see and admire the incredible amount of work that went into it.

...but...

I've never been what people would consider a collector of cars. I've had some beautiful cars. I've purchased them from people who lovingly restored them, covered them, and put them in their garages. These cars rarely had more than a few hundred miles on them since their restorations, and the closest they ever got to being dirty was banished easily with a California Car Duster.

...And once I bought 'em, I took those cars out and drove the schtuffing out of them. Every day, rain or shine. To the store. To the theater. To pick up The Boy up after school. My Mustang Fastback (a beautiful car!) saw 70,000 miles in one year. Bug hits, road grime, and everything else inbetween touched the body of that car.

So my criteria for a car are a bit different than it is for a collector or a restorer: If I can't get in it and drive it, then it has ceased being a car and is completely useless. It doesn't matter how meticulous or painstaking the restoration is. In the end the measure of whether a car is a car (any car!) is whether you can jump in (or wriggle in, in the case of the GT40) turn the key, and take it out on the road or the track. As much of a piece of history as it may be, if you can't drive it it's a doorstop.

Statues are made of stone. Cars - real cars - are, were, and will always be made of one substance: emotion.

Your pal,
Meat.

I wholly agree with you Meat. I'm sure
most of us here do. If all I want to do is look
at it, I'll go to a museum, buy a good scale
model, whatever. But, I'd much rather drive
it.

Ian

Back