GT40's 40th Anniversary at the Nurburgring

GT40\'s 40th Anniversary at the Nurburgring

Hi All,

I had the privilege of having been at the Nurburgring for the 1000 km race on May 31, 1964 and seeing the GT40 (no: 140) in action for the first time, driven by Phil Hill and Bruce McLaren.

I was there with the SMART team's Porsche 904, driven by David Hobbs and Lucky Cassner.

It occurred to me that a GT40 40th reunion at the 'Ring over the week-end of May 29,30 would be a brilliant marketing exercise for Ford at not too large a financial outlay relative to some horrendous costs for TV ad campaigns. Also with recent management changes at Ford and Explorer/Firestone problems I believe that Ford can do with a good dose of retro publicity. Timing would be perfect for a track day for the new Ford GT - son of no: 140.

The idea would be invite all past drivers of GT40s/MK 1Vs/Mirages/F3L, anyone else involved with the race programme and to track down as many original cars as possible. Editors of top motoring magazines would also be invited. MK 1V could this be another heaven for you?

With all the cheek and presumption I could muster I e-mailed Ford Vice President Sir Nicholas (Nick) Scheele with the idea. I even had the nerve to suggest that I would organise the event for him with two friends in the UK with great organisational skills. I speak German which might help.

As I haven't been to the Ring for many years I don't know what facilities now exist. The Sport Hotel was at the rear of the grandstand and had, I'm sure, the longest passage in the world. If it is still there then it would be ideal as all the functions would be at the Ring.

Programme as follows:

All arrive during Friday 28. Cocktail party that evening so that old drivers and friends could go down memory lane in a casual and relaxed atmosphere. Imagine Carroll Shelby, Lee Holman, Alan Mann, Dan Gurney, AJ Foyt, Jacky Ickx, Jackie Oliver, Chris Amon, Mario Andretti and many others under the same roof after all these years. Memory lane de luxe! One must of course accept that with busy schedules not all will be able to attend.

Saturday would be breakfast and a full day of display and driving of original cars and a track and demo day for the new GT, ie about six cars. If there is a race meeting that week-end on the new not so impressive circuit the original circuit, the Nordschleife, would be ideal from an historic point of view.

There would be a gala dinner that evening with cabaret. Some clever entertainer/singer could come up with Ford and GT40 related songs and I have a poem (previouly posted) that popped into my peculiar mind when I was taking the dogs for a walk:

There was an old fella called Shorty
Who dreamt of owning a GT40
His tall friend Ben
Had a similar yen
But without a Gurney Bubble
He would have trouble
Said Ben to Shorty
In a manner somewhat haughty
At least you can get in like a shot
Without the need for a plastic pot.

An evening of songs and poems like this could be fun.

Sunday would be breakfast and then a free day when participants could either leave for home or do their own thing.

I said to Sir Nick imagine a group photo with all the GT40 drivers, team managers, Bill Ford, other Ford family members, himself. That would be a once in a life time opportunity and guaranteed that pic will be beamed right across the world.

M1V J6 (Jim) and Cobraowner (Don) as you own original cars do you think this a good idea? If Sir Nick were to dip into Ford's petty cash tin to fund the event would you be available to attend with cars.

Comments please! Makes sense or dreaming? Remember what Sir Winston Churchill said, 'Today's dreams are tomorrow's empires'. CAV started as a dream. It happened!

Andre 40

Re: GT40\'s 40th Anniversary at the Nurburgring

High Ande 4o,
The idea is excellent. Would also be great if as many GT40 replicas as possible would be there.
As to your suggested date, the Formula 1 GP of Europe will be held on the Nuerburgring over the weekend May 28-30.
For me,it's only 200 km to the "Ring".
The website of the Nuerburgring is www.nuerburgring.de and contains all information about facilities and and race meetings. Around 20km of the old Nordschleife is still open to the public and has to be the greatest 170 odd corners in the world.

As far as tracking down original cars, there is one just around the corner from me in the Rosso Bianco museum in Achaffenburg / Germany. I believe it is #1071. I took a picture of it today.

Attachments

• 28766-1071.JPG
    28766-1071.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 302

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

Andre,

As long as Ford is doling out largesse, perhaps they would like to pay for me to attend?

I was not an original team driver.
I was not an original team member.
I have never been an original owner.
I was not a Ford Motor Company employee...(was a Ford dealer..)
I have no important historical link to the '40.

Therefor I am the perfect person to attend and partake of all the events!

Well I can dream anyways...

Sounds like a good idea.

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Hi gweitzel and Mk1V,

Thank you for your input.

Mk1V, let's see what the future holds. Would love to meet you there.Could turn out to be the best party we've ever attended - a second heaven for you!. Just hope Sir Nick is in a good mood these days. I've heard that he's a real friendy guy and I do know that he loves Cape Town so maybe he'll listen to some forward and presumptious guy from that city.

I left out a MOST IMPORTANT POINT! If the 40th Reunion were to take place I'm sure that it would give the GT40 replica industry wordwide a huge boost.

Several new members in the past have admitted that they do not know the GT40 and therefore by implication also not its history.I should imagine that these are people in their 30s, to 40s whe are simply drawn to the car's timeless shape.

If these same people were to see write ups on the event in leading motoring magazines right across the world, not to mention TV coverage,in particular the group photo with some some of the most famous racing drivers ever they would realise JUST HOW FAMOUS THE GT40 IS!

Let's live in hope!
Andre 40

Hi
Ford did a great job at Monterey/Pebble. I think it's a cost effective to get publicity. Good luck!

Andre,
Further to my PM yesterday. I have a few extra names to send that may assist /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Brett

Fab idea

Just a thought is that the hotels and other facilities are probably already block booked for the Grand Prix

Another option might be the July 4 weekend when the Classic Endurance Racing series is at the Ring - This is the new series by the organiser of the Tour de France for 66-73 sports card such as.....

Hi josvdp,

Thanks for the info.

As Murphy's Law has decreed that the European Grand Prix will be at the 'Ring on that auspicious date, you bet that everything will be booked up for miles around.

I have this year's GP calendar and should have checked the dates before posting the idea to Ford.

July 4 sounds like a good date, at least the year is right!
Also inview of the classic content.

Regards,
Andre 40

It is probably too early for Euro GT deliveries but the German Mule might still be around - be a good jolly for the lucky 101 to be invited - or perhaps a consolation for the unlucky ones !

Back