GT40s.com Improvements - Please help!

Malcolm

Supporter
If you wish to post pictures in a thread, unless you have a minimum amount of text to post it won't let you. Can that be changed so you can just post pictures without scratching the head for captions or saves typing "another picture" each time?

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dear Forum Members,<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
In preparation for the end of year tune up I’d like to ask the forum members what features would you like to see the forum support? We all visit other internet car forums I’m sure, so are there features other sites have that you’d like to see here at GT40s.com? <o:p></o:p>
Please, take a few minutes to think about how GT40s.com meets your needs and put down any ideas you might have to improve the forum. <o:p></o:p>
Thanks!<o:p></o:p>
Ron<o:p></o:p>

Ron,

You've been rather underwhelmed with responses here. This must either mean that you have gathered a lethargic band of followers, which I doubt, or that it pretty much meets people's expectations.

If suggestions re the color scheme are all you get, then I would say you have done a bloody good job!

Cheers, Ron, and a Merry Christmas to you.

Ron Earp

Admin
Thanks much, but we always want to improve!

The color scheme is one we'll change and add another one to the list so that you can select your own. As you guys probably know, the Gulf Oil colors are not my favorites by a long shot, but as Mike points out they are the most recognizable. Sure have seen a lot of Gulf GT40s!

R

I've often thought a parts for trade section would be nice, no money involved just a " I have these parts and would like to trade for those parts" kind of section. Do you think this would work?

Keith

Thanks much, but we always want to improve!

. As you guys probably know, the Gulf Oil colors are not my favorites by a long shot, but as Mike points out they are the most recognizable. Sure have seen a lot of Gulf GT40s!

R

Won't it now have to officially licensed? :)

Hi Ron,

Is it possible to have a sort function on the build log for car type? eg: RCR, DRB, RF, GTD, etc, Scratchbuild, T70, 917, etc?

I guess it would mean manually identifying each thread as there is currently no field for this info?

Thanks. Keep up the good work.

That there has not been a flood of suggestions about improving this website would seem to show that all of the members are quite pleased with it--as am I. I do have one suggestion, however, as the owner of an original GT40, and that would be to create a section strictly for threads about the original cars. Specs and photos of original parts (as Jimmie Mac has already graciously posted, but you have to do a "Search"), histories of original cars, period photos and video clips as well as the same of original GT40s at today's shows and vintage races; all would better serve the members if they were in one section--maybe "Original GT40s"--IMO. I would volunteer to try to ferret out all relevant existing messages and move them to this new section if Ron or someone else clued me in on how to do this. And to make sure everyone understands what I mean by an "original" GT40, I am referring to the cars that were initially constructed using Abbey Panel tubs and numbered:

101 to 112
P1000 to P1086
1101 to 1114 (the seven Mk III street cars plus the seven left over tubs that eventually were built into cars)
AM1 and AM2 (Alan Mann lightweight Mk Is)
XGT-1, XGT-2 and XGT-3 (Alan Mann lightweights initially built as Mk IIs)
M10001 thru M10003 (Mirages)

and the 12 Kar Kraft aluminum honeycomb tubs J1 thru J12.

I am not including the Safir Mk Vs as "original" GT40s, but I know there could be different opinions about this and would be interested to hear them.

Don,

I like your idea of having a section for Original GT40s. It would be an excellant way to build information regarding the history and other information associated with these cars. And if you are going to be in charge of monitoring the threads, I would imagine that Ron would welcome your efforts.

You have my vote to go ahead with your idea.

PS: Have a Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year......woth many a Cheer!!!!!

Ron Earp

Admin
Don and Gary,

I have no problem with a "real" GT40 section. Easily done. Plenty of threads to move there I think.

But, I would like some suggestions on how to clean up a "hodge podge" of subforums that don't always get used as intended.

For example:

Worldwide GT40 Events - The clubs use their own forums, the Western States thing always ends up in All GT40, Race events end up in the Racetrack area, Goodwood ditto, and so on. Maybe this one needs to be canned?

Video and Pictures Buffet - more often than not people put their pictures in "All GT40". People put race videos in the race section.

Club Forums - Is the GTD 40 Club in existence? More than happy to continue it my my understanding is the name might change?

Track Days/MotorSports Events - some good threads there but many times a user will have pictures from an XYZ event and put them in All GT40.

Sponsors Forum/Vendor Announcements - combine these two?

And any others you can come up with.

Thanks,
Ron

Ron,

I think the people that start to post stuff in the wrong thread need to be notified and reminded that a better spot is available for them to use. But that would take a few forum members brave enough todo this, and have the support of the moderators when they do it.

If someone is reminded of this type of situation, people will change for the better. I think it would work.

Gary K. has a good idea about how to develop more rigor in the website sections. It will require more work by some volunteers, however--and they are almost always in short supply for many good reasons.

Ron, I see that you have created a new "Original GT40s" section. I will step forward again to offer to slowly sift through messages already posted on the website that have as their prime subject (and not just a casual mention) original GT40s and shift them over to this new section. I think I will need some kind of special permission ("administrator"??) to do this. Please advise is you would like me to help.

Merry CHristmas and Happy Holidays to all!

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Ron

I was thinking about this and the only thing I came up with is in one of the past formats of the forum there was a "button" that showed next to the title of a thread with unread posts that said "Go to first Unread Post"

I used this daily and it saved time trawling through past script.

That said scrolling through is no great hardship and the GT40s.com forum remains one of my favourite places to"hang out" on the web.

Happy New Year to you and yours

Ian

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Ian,

If you are logged in, and your browser is set to accept cookies (check your security settings, make GT40s.com an Allowed Site) then the forum will take you to the last read post in a thread. I know it works for me - I can click on any thread, like the Jokes thread, and it'll take me to page 7 of the thread where I last left off. In this fashion the software doesn't need a button to take you there since it is supposed to do it automatically.

Now, over the last couple of years people have had problems with the feature but it isn't on the forum side. It has always had to do with security in the browser, cookies, browser type (I use FireFox exclusively and never have problems), and in a couple of instances Mac computers, although with the latter I don't know why it'd care because everything is done over HTTP so it matters no the OS/Hardware. Might have been Macs with non-IE non-FireFox browsers.

So, check a few setting and see what happens. Or, give FireFox a try, I know it works properly but I rarely have security features turned on in my browser and do not have a firewall or nanny on my machines.

Ron

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
If you are logged in, and your browser is set to accept cookies (check your security settings, make GT40s.com an Allowed Site) then the forum will take you to the last read post in a thread.
Ron

Ron, the Options in the User CP may have to be set to display "newest first" too.

Attachments

• Options (Medium).jpg
    Options (Medium).jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 273
Back