GT40s.com Improvements - Please help!

Ron Earp

Admin
Worldwide GT40 Events - The clubs use their own forums, the Western States thing always ends up in All GT40, Race events end up in the Racetrack area, Goodwood ditto, and so on. Maybe this one needs to be canned?

Video and Pictures Buffet - more often than not people put their pictures in "All GT40". People put race videos in the race section.

Club Forums - Is the GTD 40 Club in existence? More than happy to continue it my my understanding is the name might change?

Looking for some feedback and guidance on the above forums. New skins are done, trying to clean up and arrange the forums before they are made permanent.

Before anyone mentions it, I've made the normal "How To" sections as sub forums from their respective technical forums. There will be a link that will take a user to all "How To" forums but they won't be listed on the front page as almost duplicate forums to the Technical Subforums.

Ron

DOWN with the Gulf Colors,,,,or anything blue,,,sacrilege,,,,

What ever happened to GT40 in BLACK? or even dare I say (moderator's favorite color) YELLOW?!:(

I vote to remove ALL of the sections except for Paddock.

Hey, Farhad, careful how you talk about "anything blue" or I might have to start a new thread on your obvious prejudice against blue or maybe set you up with a name change to the "Bull Sheik". Have you given up driving on 4 wheels or will you still come out and play with us?

Ron,

I said this before in another thread, but it bears repeating.

A regular purge of old Paddock threads might be a good idea to stave off issues in
the future. It is already number 2 with over 1,900 threads and 18,000 posts. I am
willing to bet that there are a lot of images associated with it as well. You might
want to see how big that piece of the forum really is in comparison with others if
you can. I am sure that the Internet Wayback machine would be able to pull up
old posts from there post deletion.

Just a thought.

Ian

Jim Pearson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Ron,

Would it be possible to have a facility to view posts made since dd/mm/yyyy, or similar?

I'm just back after 4 weeks abroad without Internet access and found 2000+ 'New' posts - a great improvement on the previous maximum of 200.

However, half way through reviewing them, my log-in timed out and I can now only see those few posts made since today's earlier log-in.

Many thanks.

Best wishes,

Jim

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Jim,

The software doesn't have a feature like that. But GT40s.com won't time you out, did you lose your connection or does your browser time you out after a certain time?

Ron

Jim Pearson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Ron,

Thanks for the fast response.

Not too sure what happened - got distracted half way through browsing the new posts and, upon return, found that the connection was still open but that I'd been logged out.

Thanks for the pointer - I'm using Firefox and will investigate that angle.

Best wishes,

Jim

Ron,I haven't been a forum member for all that long but I do see the benefit of condensing some of the categories. Information gets scattered and the threads get outdated very quickly.In certain cases some questions posed by members,even to manufacturers,go unanswered as they wind up buried in a seldom looked at arena.Not all of us are computer literate and even more have little time to browse through evertything.It makes sense to create/move info to subsections of one category and condense this.The only downside I can see is that certain categories run the risk of being inundated,being mixed with vendor info or unwanted thread drift....just my 2 cents. A.J.

Ron Earp

Admin
Ron,I haven't been a forum member for all that long but I do see the benefit of condensing some of the categories. Information gets scattered and the threads get outdated very quickly.In certain cases some questions posed by members,even to manufacturers,go unanswered as they wind up buried in a seldom looked at arena.Not all of us are computer literate and even more have little time to browse through evertything.It makes sense to create/move info to subsections of one category and condense this.The only downside I can see is that certain categories run the risk of being inundated,being mixed with vendor info or unwanted thread drift....just my 2 cents. A.J.

You propose having only like one category for each major topic?

i.e.

Technical Questions
All GT40 Discussion

And so on?

It's not an easy call,but there are some that might benefit by having info grouped together,i.e.,car clubs where subsections might be used.Possibly more forum members would read about their brothers' activities.Another grouping might be for manufacturers(I'm risking my head on this one) with subsections as an option.Ron,these are only one man's opinions.I know I enjoy the build logs and the technical things which I would want kept for needed information.I also enjoy the Paddock but most of this stuff is topical/time related so there should be a limit on post lifespan(except the jokes of course). A.J.

Ron Earp

Admin
I also enjoy the Paddock but most of this stuff is topical/time related so there should be a limit on post lifespan(except the jokes of course). A.J.

There really isn't a solid reason to delete the Paddock though. The space consumed is minimal at today's server space prices - zero effect on forum cost.

I'm confused about your comments though. We have a subsection for manufactures entitled "Manufacturer's Corner" and the manufactures that pay to keep the forum operating have a subforum there.

Ron,I didn't suggest eliminating anything in the Manufacturer's corner - they pay for their space - and I will try to go to these guys before I purchase anywhere else.I only wanted to see if anyone had a real idea to make it easier to read or to simplify a search for material.I had thought you were soliciting comments to make the format less cumbersome/more efficient.As for the paddock,I wasn't aware of the cost/space issue so I guess it isn't an issue.Just trying to help. A.J.

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Al,

All suggestions are good. I'm trying to make sure that you aren't viewing the forum like only through the "New Posts" screen or something like that. This thread is a bit old, it started right before we did some major forum grades last year.

Ron

Jim Pearson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Jim,

The software doesn't have a feature like that. But GT40s.com won't time you out, did you lose your connection or does your browser time you out after a certain time?

Ron

Hi Ron,

The cause simply appears to be that I was not ticking the 'Remember Me' check box on the log-in screen and consequently my log-in was timing out after about 30 minutes (Using Firefox on XP).

With the tick in place all seems fine.

One more of life's mysteries solved ......

Thanks again for your help.

Best wishes,

Jim

Hi Ron:

The search function is where I seem to have the most problem but it could be me. For the FAQ section the chassis plan question should be addressed. Regards Dave

Back