GT40s.com Paddock Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll go ya one further. What does the National Anthem have to do with sports at all?

If you change the TV channel away from Fox News, you might learn something. Peaceful protest, civil disobedience, Muhammed Ali, Tommy Smith, John Carlos, Colin Kaepernick, etc. If you celebrate America, then you celebrate someone's right to peacefully protest the American Flag and/or the National Anthem.

Again, this whole Trump-National Anthem controversy is just a distraction from Trump's failure as a president. He's done nothing and continues to do nothing.

And it also takes heat off himself from the Russia investigation, collusion, obstruction of justice and Kushner's use of a private email account.

The National Anthem has been a part of sports long before you or your parents were conceived

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Again, this whole Trump-National Anthem controversy is just a distraction from Trump's failure as a president. He's done nothing and continues to do nothing.

Well, Rod, he does almost nothing...he tweets, though :eek:

As much as I dislike the nature of his bullying...tweets included...he DOES enjoy the right of free speech/expression, so I would just recommend people not read his tweets if his tweets bother them...much as I think Trump should not watch the opening moments of games if he is going to be outraged by the actions of the players AND the owners, most of whom stood with their players on this issue.

Trump is just plain wrong on this issue...even his OWN Supreme Court nominee would tell him so.

Doug

The National Anthem has been a part of sports long before you or your parents were conceived

So, it's a tradition. But it has nothing to do with sports. The Star Spangled Banner wasn't invented solely for sports. It was introduced to sports along the way in our history.

Francis Scott Key wrote it in 1814. And legend has it that it we began singing it during a World Series game in 1918. Nothing to do with sports. Baseball started the tradition over 100 years after it was written.

Well, Rod, he does almost nothing...he tweets, though :eek: Doug

It's all part of his "slight of hand."

We're going to go from one controversy to the next with Dum Dum, but ultimately, nothing gets done, at least legislatively.

My hope is that "heads will roll" with the Mueller investigation. And then we get something done, like Trump resigning.

So, it's a tradition. But it has nothing to do with sports. The Star Spangled Banner wasn't invented solely for sports. It was introduced to sports along the way in our history.

Francis Scott Key wrote it in 1814. And legend has it that it we began singing it during a World Series game in 1918. Nothing to do with sports. Baseball started the tradition over 100 years after it was written.

It has everything to do with sports, every game or civic event has started with it for almost 100 years. Anything else you want to do away with?

Rod, what do you like about this country? With all that you find wrong with it, why do you subject yourself to all that is wrong with it? I'm sure you could find some far left leaning country that would be more to your liking.

It has everything to do with sports, every game or civic event has started with it for almost 100 years. Anything else you want to do away with?

It has zero to do with sports other than we sing it before games starting 100 years after it was written. All games can be played without any National Anthem. The game itself is unaffected, if the National Anthem is not sung. However, if you take away the ball, or the referees and umpires, then the game is affected. Singing a song doesn't affect the game.

Al, you asked the question "What does the National Anthem have to do with race?" And I responded with "What does the National Anthem have to do with sports?"

Rod, what do you like about this country? With all that you find wrong with it, why do you subject yourself to all that is wrong with it? I'm sure you could find some far left leaning country that would be more to your liking.

Can you name a far left leaning country, at least one where I can drive my Cobra? :laugh:

Trump is worst president in history. And yes, I support one's right to peacefully protest. I'm "far left" because I don't support a do-nothing, lying, misogynistic, racist xenophobe like Trump and support the 1st Amendment?

By the way, the Boston Red Sox have a tradition of singing Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" during the 7th Inning stretch, or many stadiums play "Take Me Out To the Ball Game," these are traditions too. But the game doesn't require them in order for the game to be played.

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Trump is a "looser."

...and he is going to "...Make America a Loser", too, Rod...he has no idea how to "Make America Great Again"... as his recent rhetoric against North Korea proves.

He's dangerous...as I have maintained for a long time. Soon the entire world will be laughing at us because of the disturbed ramblings of our POTUS...and we deserve it if we don't do something about it. This is NOT the "United States of Trump", as his self-aggrandizing nature and rampant nepotism would have us believe.

Here's a thought, though. I think it's possible that Trump is getting ready to "Wag the Dog". Historically, times of war have led to huge gains in income for businesses that supply the military war machine.

Could his deranged mind really believe we would rather have economic wealth than have our children be safe?

It sure seems like it to me... :thumbsdown:

Doug

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
I found this on the ABC news website, regarding who should do what during the playing of the national anthem.

I hope this link works, it doesn't really resemble any link I've used before:

ABC News ? Breaking News, Latest News, Headlines & Videos

If it doesn't work, blame my technological deficits for that failure, I just copied the URL and pasted it in.

Cheers....and hopes the link works...[edit---it doesn't!]

When you get to that ABC webpage, look down past Trump's 1:13 rant and on the left you'll see this:

Is it mandatory to stand for the US national anthem?

It doesn't resolve anything, though...other than offering salute specifics for military personnel and stuff like that. Sadly, it doesn't address sporting events...so everyone is encouraged (by me) to do what they think is right and let the chips fall where they may.

Cheers!

Doug

Last edited:
With regard to the First Amendment, the Constitution doesn't have a clause in it that says "some restrictions may apply."

The whole NFL player/National Anthem controversy is another Trump Distraction from eight months of failure.

BTW, Trump thanked NASCAR for supporting the National Anthem, but NASCAR has ONE (1) black driver and I'm surprised he's not pulled over at the track for not having tail lights or speeding every weekend. The NFL is 70% black. Ya, sure, not about race at all.

The Mueller investigation is taking too long. I want some arrests and resignations soon.

That is exactly as I have always thought. I think there are other ways of protesting (It sure as hell is done in many different ways, often enough) without disrespecting the symbol that so many have fought and died for.

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
The whole NFL player/National Anthem controversy is another Trump Distraction from eight months of failure.

The Mueller investigation is taking too long. I want some arrests and resignations soon.

Well, today the Republican effort to repeal/replace the ACA has been declared a failure, as the Republicans say that they don't have the votes to repeal and replace it.

As that was one of the primary platform planks for the Republicans, it seems that Trump should have his feet held to the fire for having failed to rally the Conservatives around the flag pole in this effort.

Add this one to the eight months of failure you mentioned, Rod.

So...Trump's approval ratings are in the tank (certainly consistently below 50%), his legislative "victories" are limited to the appointment of a Supreme Court Justice, and now he seems inept at managing international politics (as evidenced by NK's vow to target the U.S. with their weapons and his difficulty getting our allies to support him). Gee...aren't we proud!!!!!

I think Mueller ought to take as much time as he needs...but to me it doesn't seem like it would take much time at all to determine that Trump isn't exactly the sort of leader that the MAJORITY of our voting population wants to represent us on the international front...or the national front, either.

There was once a saying something to the effect of "To say that Richard Nixon's administration is the most corrupt since Millard Filmore's does a tremendous disservice to Millard Fillmore". I think it's time to revise that to "To say that Donald Trump's administration is the most inept since GEE-dub's does a tremendous disservice to George Bush, Jr.!!!"

Trump will go down in history as not only the nation's most unpopular president, but also the most inept...IMHO, of course, guys....IMHO :2thumbsup: .

Cheers!

Doug

Last edited:

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Wow...after all the "ya-ya" about Hillary Clinton using private email accounts to conduct government business, who would have expected Jared Kushner to do the same?

Should we be chanting "Lock him up!!! Lock him up!!!"?

What say you all...if HC did it AND it was illegal, doesn't it seem it ought to be illegal for Kushner?

...or, does the fact that Kushner is not an elected official make it OK? He is a private citizen, after all, albiet one who has an incredible amount of influence over our POTUS.

Cheers, all!

Doug

Doug, Kushner is not a private citizen. He's employed as a senior advisor to Dum Dum. He collects a government paycheck. BTW, others in 45's administration have used private email accounts too, like Bannon.

While there's some hypocrisy, the email stories never moved my "needle" much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back