H.R. 5741: Universal National Service Act

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
He sure was, Jim. He flew P51's (Mustangs). He was based out of England (David Morton posted some photos of his old air station, it's mostly just grass and ruins now). He was shot down three times (once by friendly fire), two times behind enemy lines, captured once by the Germans and escaped. The other time he was shot down behind enemy lines he had been carrying a bottle of high-dollar brandy in the cockpit and made sure he grabbed it before he ejected. He said he knew he could use that brandy to "bargain" his way back to friendly territory.....must have worked.

After WWII was over, he stayed on in GB and conducted test flights for the U. S. Air Force. He essentially tested the high-altitude flight suits that eventually became what we now know as astronaut suits.

He finished out his career helping establish the NORAD network. We followed him all over the North American continent (Newfoundland, California, and Florida), as well as Japan. When other kids went to the office with their dads for "career day", I had to wait in the outer "waiting room" all day.....guess they were worried that the Ruskies would kidnap me and make me reveal classified military information.....yeah, RIGHT!!!

You should have seen his eyes sparkle when he talked about piloting those P51's....he must have been quite the adrenaline junkie!

Cheers from Doug!

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Doug, what a fabuolus story!

The P51 Mustang, besides being the right aircraft at the right time with the right combination of speed, range and manuverability it was just BEAUTIFUL! I know it was war, but that must have been a great time in his life.

Did your dad get the chance to record his story for postarity? It sounds like it would be great reading.

Pat

Supporter
Doug, as Jim suggests, it would be a chance to record history if you had the opportunity to archive your Dad's history. My father went ashore at Utah Beach and fought the war in Europe to it's conclusion but sadly be would never speak of it so that personal telling of his history lost to my kids and theirs. However, you can request your father's service records from the national archives. The link is How to Request Military Service Records or Prove Military Service (DD Form 214, DD-214, DD214
I did it and it was incredible. It's not the whole story of course but it fills a lot of gaps. I have my Dad's complete service records, for example copies of the initial entry forms he completed in 1941 and interestingly his request of his commanding office to marry a foreign national - my mother. It something I treasure.

Back