Harmonic Balancer Question(s)

I will find out the name of the machine, I used a professional racing balancing company. The statement quoted came from a man who first did my balancing up until he died. But that said, some of the engines that I felt I was lucky enough to be a part of, left the starting line of the track at 9500 RPM, and the harmonics were not a problem. I stress more than anything that the number of force given is just a physics number, and I always used that to stress the importance of getting the balance right.
You guys build really impressive cars and the workmanship and attention to detail is just nothing short of perfect. I offer the information that I did with nothing but respect.

I think you would get a very quick lesson in harmonics and physics if you tried to spin an unsuported V8 crank on a balancing machine at 10,000 rpm !
Mike

I'm sorry for the confussion, the crankshaft WAS supported.....I know that I certainly would not try that on an unsupported crankshaft. The balance was continually tested before the high speed turns were done.
To answer the above post, it meant that the crank was balanced down the axis of the crank shaft, so that any harmonics that were not completley gone, tended to be at the location of the main bearings. Honestly, guys, I used two balancer shops in my whole time of building engines, and the first one was the best.....unfortunatley, however, that was many years ago. I only offered the information to try to explain the physics of rotating mass. I did not do the balancing myself...did not own the machines. However, when and engine is broken back apart, after bunches of miles, mainly to freshen up a few things, and you don't see scuff marks on the bearings, you have a good oiling system and a great balancing job.
I would still offer the idea of talking to a really good race shop and listen to what they say. If they are worth their salt, they will be helpful and honest. But for them to get the whole rotating mass right, you must have all of the parts there, and then not change them around or substitue later on. We always took 2 pressure plates and for a nominal fee they did both on the same crank, When one was worn out, then the engine was still in balance. I hope this helps.
You guys keep building, you are doing great work. I'm no final word on anything, because I feel that I can always learn from others, so again the information was only ment to be helpful.

Back