Healthcare

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
I read Cain's site and didn't see much of substance honestly.

I would be in favor of allowing insurers to compete "across state lines" although that would require a massive overhaul of how they are regulated. It would essentially transfer regulation of them from the states to the federal government.

I still think tort reform is a red herring. Let's use NC as an example. In NC, we have fairly conservative juries in most urban counties, and a $250,000 punitive damages cap. Actual damages -- i.e. the amount an injured party can prove they were actually damaged by -- are uncapped. Capping actual damages, as in Virginia, is extremely dangerous in my view. If you are a 30 year old man who is permanently disabled, with a legitimate claim for malpractice, you could be "stuck" recovering not enough money to pay for your care needed over the remainder of your life. Not a good situation, at all.

What's really needed is a fundamental rework of people's philosophy on litigation. People sue doctors at the drop of a hat and there really is no way to put the breaks on that under our system without having a negative impact on meritorious claims. Again, let's use NC as an example. In NC, we have what is called Rule 9(j), which requires a malpractice plaintiff to have an expert in the field certify a malpractice claim has merit before it is filed.

What else can be done? NC, like many states, has a punitive damages cap and a pre-suit certification. That IS tort reform, and most states have it.

The fundamental problem to me seems to be this. The consumer is not making cost and other decisions on health care provided to them. The doctor and the insurer are.

I see two fixes. The first is putting some sort of incentive/disincentive on the consumer to make reasonable choices about what health care they receive. This is like in the days before insurance, where individuals decided if they wanted treatment based on whether they had the resources to pay for it. I'm not sure we want to go there.

The second is to introduce competition into the health care "market" that is not profit driven -- the government option. That's not to say the government option will be cheap in and of itself, or the most efficient means of providing health care, but it is to say that the using the public option as a market based "check" to the doctor/insurer control over health care pricing makes some sense to me.

Jeff,

Your statement:
I still think tort reform is a red herring. Let's use NC as an example. In NC, we have fairly conservative juries in most urban counties, and a $250,000 punitive damages cap. Actual damages -- i.e. the amount an injured party can prove they were actually damaged by -- are uncapped. Capping actual damages, as in Virginia, is extremely dangerous in my view. If you are a 30 year old man who is permanently disabled, with a legitimate claim for malpractice, you could be "stuck" recovering not enough money to pay for your care needed over the remainder of your life. Not a good situation, at all."
This isn't going to happen in today's climate.

"What's really needed is a fundamental rework of people's philosophy on litigation. People sue doctors at the drop of a hat and there really is no way to put the breaks on that under our system without having a negative impact on meritorious claims. Again, let's use NC as an example. In NC, we have what is called Rule 9(j), which requires a malpractice plaintiff to have an expert in the field certify a malpractice claim has merit before it is filed."
Here in the UK expert witnesses, whether they know anything or not, are paid £100K per annum. They also work towards an objective, ie getting their vision accepted by the court.

"What else can be done? NC, like many states, has a punitive damages cap and a pre-suit certification. That IS tort reform, and most states have it."
Then why isn't this working?

"The fundamental problem to me seems to be this. The consumer is not making cost and other decisions on health care provided to them. The doctor and the insurer are."
Consumers go into their doctor, tell them what is wrong, and the doctor, trying not get sued, gives them the Cadillac treatment.

Regarding your two fixes:
1. American consumers are so used to having multiple tests, at the most expensive hospitals etc that they worry more about their health because they have insurance, so they will not make the best economic choice for the government or the insurance company (governments can do that for you based on their ability to tax and pay).

2. If the numbers my friend crunched and the average profit an insurance company makes on a $1500 cost per insured subscriber is $50, is 0.033%. I am sure you have an IRA or 401K and you would not be interested in investing in a company with such a lousy return. 3% profit is literally non-profit. In fact, non profit companies (if you want to read more, try Phil Koettler's book on Marketing for the Non Profit Organization, published about 1978 and I am sure has been updated) have to work towards a profit or they get big, fat and unhealthy. As the government is expert at that, they just raise taxes.

I found your answer interesting, however I have a few points to make:
- the NHS in the UK employs over 1.5 million and see the following:
WikiAnswers - How many employees in the NHS
If the US has 5 times the UK population, the US NHS will have 6 million employeers? How can that be run profitably and efficiently?

Keith

Good point on the NHS but you missed out 1 major thing:

"the NHS in the UK employs over 1.5 million "

With around 65% personnel (maybe more) sourced from overseas and some (doctors) even commuting to and from Europe on a daily basis. How's that for a carbon footprint...

One way to guarantee a visa and a job in the UK - have medical experience.

Keith,

Thanks for the comment. The issue of doctors flying into the UK to work on a weekly basis is not common knowledge. I just heard a blurb on BBC once.

From where will the U.S. get the added medical help once the 40 million become insured?

Keith

Oh, usual places I guess - India, Pakistan, Estonia, Latvia, Uruguay, Chile, Madagascar, Iraq, Iran etc etc.

However, I will not have anything said about the wondeful people from the Phillipines without whom our nursing service would collapse. They are a genuinely caring people who give back to us a lot more than they take out.. :)

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Tort reform generally has not "worked" in the US for a simple reason -- people here are litigious. We have caps. We have pre suit certification requirements. We've done what we can to limit "outrageous" malpractice awards, and I'm not sure what else there is to do.

On your point about the number of employees the UK's NHS has, and your conclusion that in the US we will need 6 times that number -- I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what is being proposed here.

Neither the Senate nor the House are proposing anything like a National Health Service. All doctors will remain privately employed. We are proposing an extension of private insurnace, and minimum standars, and POSSIBLY a public health insurance option to pay for care for those who can't afford.

We are not going to have government doctors and clinics.

On the 3% profit margin -- if you were given what is essentially a monopoly, and told you could make a guaranteed 3% at little to no risk, versus an "open and free" market where you could make 10% but at high risk and with a chance at nothing, which would you take?

Jeff,

Thanks for your post. Just a quick question, you sound like you have a vested interest in the new health care proposal. I have no vested interest, in fact, I do some consulting in the automotive, industrial and consumer markets (relating to some of my hobbies).

Currently doctors here in the UK are contractors to the NHS, and yes, they are private. They have salary limits. They were paid up to the recent (last 3 years or so, and perhaps someone with a better memory can correct this) contract change, £60K, but the government in their wisdom increased that to £100K but their working conditions were changed. What the government did was not increase hours worked, but increased the salary the NHS paid the doctors.

Monopoly, who created the it? Certainly not the insurance companies. I'll bet that if the government took over the charges from the insurance companies, instilled their wisdom, the 3% profit would turn into a 10% loss. That's just the way the government works. If you want a good example, look at Germany, where the bulk is private and the government option takes on those high risk people that no private insurance company will take. The insurance companies make money. Indiana has a similar scheme (called Indiana Comprehensive) that is run through Blue Cross and this covers those that can't be insured through a normal insurance scheme.

Regarding Tort reform, I guess the politicians, being lawyers, don't want to take on people in their own trade. If you wanted to reform tort, you can do it. One of my university buddies, a retired States Attorney from one of the western states and who contributed here, says that tort reform is possible.

I heard somewhere along the way, it may have been on a conservative website, that BO doesn't want to take on the trial lawyers hence no reform.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
No vested interest in it other than I will pay more taxes to fund it. I have good private coverage, and probably won't be affected at all by the plan (other than its cost).

I will admit to being one of those who thinks that having 40 million uninsured is not good for society in lost productive, time at work, societal pressures resulting in more crime, etc.

Yes, the insurance lobbies created the monopolies, in conjunction with will state governments. They are not monopolies per se, that's really a wrong word. Rather, the state intervenes to set rates and to determine who can offer insurance products in a state -- effectively eliminating competition.

I am an attorney, but am not involved in personal injury/tort case on either "side." I am a commercial litigator. The trial lawyer lobby here in the US is very strong, and very pro-Democrat. I agree with that. They do lobby to block tort reform, but again, I'm not sure what else can be done over and above what has been done.

Jeff,

In this case, you either believe the public option will work or it won't. I have plenty of public health experience here, and believe the German system (private) is the best.

If the congress really wanted to, they could:
- allow cross state selling of insurance
- take on the trial lawyers and effect tort reform
- mandate that anyone who works has to buy insurance (split with an employer), but this takes away choice to not have insurance
- establish a high risk pool for those who can't get insurance (one of my friends, who supports the BO plan can't get insurance. No disrespect to him, but he is one of these supersized guys and what insurance company would insure him, but he could get insurance through an employer).
- allow insurance to be transfered between providers if that is necessary, but I prefer you starting with an insurance company at 18, and keeping it until medicare.

This is all achievable if the political will was there.

The republicans have a bill in its early days, but it isn't getting any air time on conventional TV, BBC etc.

What do you think the actual number of people there are that are uninsured because of a lack of funds to purchase insurance and are not eligible for current state or federal plans? The 46 million number is padded with people that are eligible for state or federal plans but don't apply for unknown reasons, young people that are healthy and betting that they are going to stay healthy and choose to spend that money on other things, and ILLEGAL aliens. So why not make a health plan for the remainder of the people and leave things as they are and regulate the insurance companies? Once again, what makes you think that the government will suceed with a health plan when they have failed so miserably at every other plan (Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Indian Healthcare, etc) they have tried? Everyone seems to talk around this question. Of course it's only a couple of TRILLION DOLLARS! If we gave the government a credit rating based on their spending vs their cash on hand, it would be in the 200s or lower! So.........?

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
I still think you misunderstand the existing House and Senate bills, and the scope of the public option. The proposed system is far more like Germany, than the UK. We are not talking about a National Health Service.

In fact, for those who presently have employer sponsored insurance, not much if anything will change. The only change will be higher taxes for individuals, a tax/penalty assessed on employers who don't offer plans with minimum standards, and a public option that will essentially be a publicly funded risk pool of insurers.

Let's look at each of your points:

JMY -- That is a start, but you will still have regulation of insurance by someone. It's not the answer.

JMY -- again, what is your proposed solution? Just saying the words doesn't get us there. We already have fairly comprehensive "tort reform."

- mandate that anyone who works has to buy insurance (split with an employer), but this takes away choice to not have insurance
JMY -- I'm not sure (I have to check) if we are requiring people to buy insurance. I should know that. The proposed plan will require employers who offer insurance to meet minimum standards, and those who do not meet those standards (or who do not offer it) to pay a penalty for doing so. This will be used to help fund the public "option."

- establish a high risk pool for those who can't get insurance (one of my friends, who supports the BO plan can't get insurance. No disrespect to him, but he is one of these supersized guys and what insurance company would insure him, but he could get insurance through an employer).
JMY - We have this now, and its coverage will be expanded with a public option.

- allow insurance to be transfered between providers if that is necessary, but I prefer you starting with an insurance company at 18, and keeping it until medicare.
JMY - That's the German plan, and it may have been feasible if we had started with it years ago before we came up with our employer based system. Now, I'm not sure the change over would work.

Jeff,

In this case, you either believe the public option will work or it won't. I have plenty of public health experience here, and believe the German system (private) is the best.

If the congress really wanted to, they could:

This is all achievable if the political will was there.

The republicans have a bill in its early days, but it isn't getting any air time on conventional TV, BBC etc.

I still think you misunderstand the existing House and Senate bills, and the scope of the public option. The proposed system is far more like Germany, than the UK. We are not talking about a National Health Service.

Does anyone know what is in the House and Senate bills? I read the initial bill back in the summer and couldn't make hide nor hair of it. If I read into it, it comes down to trust in how it will be applied. Frankly I don't trust politicians to a great extent and tend to think the conservative press is closer to the truth than what comes from the left.

In fact, for those who presently have employer sponsored insurance, not much if anything will change. The only change will be higher taxes for individuals, a tax/penalty assessed on employers who don't offer plans with minimum standards, and a public option that will essentially be a publicly funded risk pool of insurers.
So you, with a private plan, have to pay more tax to cover people who should be insured but choose not to be?
What do you do with employers who offer insurance but their employees prefer to take the extra salary rather than insurance? In a time of recession, you don't increase taxation.

Let's look at each of your points:

JMY -- That is a start, but you will still have regulation of insurance by someone. It's not the answer.
OK, you will have regulation of the health care industry by a government body, just like we do here in the UK. These bodies decide what procedures, medication etc can be used in practice.

JMY -- again, what is your proposed solution? Just saying the words doesn't get us there. We already have fairly comprehensive "tort reform."
If I could give you an answer, I would be writing laws.

JMY -- I'm not sure (I have to check) if we are requiring people to buy insurance. I should know that. The proposed plan will require employers who offer insurance to meet minimum standards, and those who do not meet those standards (or who do not offer it) to pay a penalty for doing so. This will be used to help fund the public "option."
This bill won't make people responsible for themselves, and the taxpayer shouldn't bail out people who can help themselves. Its abit like the house I rented in Chicago to people who wanted to live the suburban lifestyle, but didn't understand they had to pay their own bills.

JMY - We have this now, and its coverage will be expanded with a public option.
If we have this, why does it have to be expanded? Why don't people take part in it? Is it too expensive for them?

JMY - That's the German plan, and it may have been feasible if we had started with it years ago before we came up with our employer based system. Now, I'm not sure the change over would work.
I am not a betting man, but I'll put money on implementing the German system would be more cost effective, quicker, and avoid waste than starting a government run system to take care of people who, in some cases, choose not to be responsible.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
I think that is where some of the disconnect is. This is not a true "government run" system. It is a system where the government:

1. Provides regulations that mandate minimum levels of coverage; and

2. Creates a public option via a government financed risk pool.

Other than that, which I agree is far more complicated than two bullet points, not much changes (other than my taxes!).

It's the cost component that scares me the most, not the alleged "control" which I think opponents are blowing out of proportion as a strawman type argument.

Jeff,

Being interested in politics, and having lived in Chicago, Cook County, Italy, Spain, Germany, the Netherlands, the UK, and having owned a piece of land in Belgium, I have learned to distrust politicians and their promises.

To be frank, I saw on BBC World Service TV (broadcast on PBS in America) a professor of Political Science at either the U of Maryland or Virginia speak about BHO's policies shortly after the election and he said: BHO wants to make the Democratic party into the British Labour Party. Seeing what:
Gordon Brown has done to the UK economy
Romano Prodi did to Italy before he was booted out of office
Schroeder did to Germany before Merkele whipped his posterior
Ciric did to France before Sarkozy knocked him out office

I don't believe a word Pelosi or Reed are saying.

If you look at the Rasmussen pole, the majority of the American electorate do not either.
Health Care Reform - Rasmussen Reports

To do what you outlined in the two bullet points, the bill could be reduced from 2000 pages to 20.

The best possible example of the kinds of conflicts that will increasingly undermine the US health care system if Obama's bill passes is the effect of the federal government's advice to women under 49 to abstain from mammograms. What may make sense from a national perspective that focuses on the need to control costs makes no sense from the perspective of a woman trying to avoid dying from breast cancer and her family.

Do the math. Medical literature basically agrees that mammogram screening for women aged 40-49 will save the lives of one woman for every 1900 screened. There are 21.9 million American women between those ages. That means that 11,500 women will die of breast cancer who would have lived had they been screened during those years.

To the bureaucrats in Washington, that may be an acceptable loss ratio. It may make no sense to those who will run our health care system to encourage women under 49 to have mammograms. But now we can always disregard their advice and pay for the procedure. However, if Obama's program passes, the Federal Health Board will doubtless enforce the now advisory recommendation and ban mammograms for women from 40-49. Even if they pay for it themselves.

While we may disagree on when life begins - at conception or at birth - we can all agree that it doesn't end until death. Should it be in one's 40s? The decision to condemn 11,500 women in their 40s to die of breast cancer smacks of euthanasia or worse. It has no place in our society.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I would think that the cost of treatment of those 11,500 unscreened woman who will get the disease Chemotherapy drugs etc, would be far in excess of the cost of regular screening of younger women.
But maybe not. I do agree Bill that refusing treatment because of $$$$$
is wrong.
In OZ our Health schemes are run by each State and all are in chaos to the extent that all the State Premiers (Governors) and the Prime minister had a meeting over the week end to try and come up with a fix. Their Decision? To do nothing for another year!:eek:

Last edited:
I heard an interesting story last night on the NHS. The guy telling the story is a policeman working in security. It is entrusted with looking after people like the leader of the UK opposition when this gentleman is in the area.

Don't know when this happened, but the story is good.

There was a famous U.S. musician who was in the area. This policeman was assigned to look after him. The musician crossed the street in the appropiate place, looked the wrong way (as we drive on the left side of the road here for those who don't know which I think are few), and was hit by a car. The police etc came, and wanted to take this person to the hospital, but he refused. The musician picked himself up, went to the hotel and called his pal the policeman, and asked his pal to take him to the hospital. The policeman took him to the local foundation hospital emergency room.

When he got there, he was asked what insurance he had. The policeman told the hospital the guy didn't have insurance and is a pensioner. The discussion went back and forth until the hospital staff was told who this gentleman is.

With that, the hospital staff said:
"we will find a way to cover our costs". Can you imagine what would happen if he was not famous? And this is the country which established national health.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
OK, let's talk about the Healthcare debacle. Granted healthcare is expensive in the US. But in countries with socialized healthcare such as Canada, England, Germany, Norway, and France to name a few, healthcare is a joke.

Having never been under any healthcare system other than those managed by the U.S. (including the military as a dependent), I'd like to hear more from our Brittish and Canadian members.

Here's another view, a thread on one of the guitar related forums to which I belong:

The Washburn Guitars Forum - OT For Canadians and Brits

I'm not an Obamalover, but neither am I an Obamahater. I'm willing to keep an open mind regarding all possibilities. My attitude is both the Republicans, and now the Democrats, have demonstrated their inability to run this country (or, more accurately, have demonstrated their ability to RUIN this country), so as long as a true Independent option is just a dream we've got to figure out how to fix this thing with what we've got.

Let's give congress a chance, see what happens with this issue. As of today, it's changing on an hourly basis as Harry Reid tries to get something through the Senate, and even if/when that does happen it won't match what the House has passed, so there will have to be more gnashing of teeth regarding the eventual compromises made.

The old Reinhold Nieburh quote comes to mind:

“God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.”

At this point we may be better off demonstrating that we are wise enough to know that we can't stop this avalanche once it's started. The Republicans demonstrated for 8 years what can happen when one party controls both the executive and the legislative branches, there's no reason to believe that the Democrats aren't astute enough to realize they can do the same. Midterm elections are still almost a year away, I'd presume that by then this will all be just a bad memory.

Just my $.02 worth :shy: .

Doug

Doug,

I have put up some 50 posts giving my view (trying to be balanced and neutral). My take is the US can come up with a far better system than exists in the socialized sphere in the UK.

For example, the German system is private, and it works very very very well.

My posts begin around page 8 of this topic.

Dom

I actually found this quite amusing.

<style type="text/css"> BODY,.aolmailheader {font-size:10pt; color:black; font-family:Arial;} a.aolmailheader:link {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; font-weight:normal;} a.aolmailheader:visited {color:magenta; text-decoration:underline; font-weight:normal;} a.aolmailheader:active {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; font-weight:normal;} a.aolmailheader:hover {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; font-weight:normal;}*</style><table style="border-top: 1px solid black; font-family: 'Segoe UI',Tahoma,san-serif; font-weight: bold;"> <tbody> <tr> <td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>

<hr id="stopSpelling">
Understanding Obamacare (from Dec 2009 issue)
By Luke Mitchell, a senior editor of Harper’s Magazine.
The idea that there is a competitive “private sector” in America is appealing, but generally false. No one hates competition more than the managers of corporations. Competition does not enhance shareholder value, and smart managers know they must forsake whatever personal beliefs they may hold about the redemptive power of creative destruction for the more immediate balm of government intervention. This wisdom is expressed most precisely in an underutilized phrase from economics: regulatory capture.
When Congress created the first U.S. regulatory agency, the Interstate Commerce Commission, in 1887, the railroad barons it was meant to subdue quickly recognized an opportunity. “It satisfies the popular clamor for a government supervision of railroads at the same time that that supervision is almost entirely nominal,” observed the railroad lawyer Richard Olney. “Further, the older such a commission gets to be, the more inclined it will be found to take the business and railroad view of things. It thus becomes a sort of barrier between the railroad corporations and the people and a sort of protection against hasty and crude legislation hostile to railroad interests.” As if to underscore this claim, Olney soon after got himself appointed to run the U.S. Justice Department, where he spent his days busting railroad unions.
The story of capture is repeated again and again, in industry after industry, whether it is the agricultural combinations creating an impenetrable system of subsidies, or television and radio broadcasters monopolizing public airwaves for private profit, or the entire financial sector conjuring perilous fortunes from the legislative void. The real battle in Washington is seldom between conservatives and liberals or the right and the left or “red America” and “blue America.” It is nearly always a more local contest, over which politicians will enjoy the privilege of representing the interests of the rich.
And so it is with health-care reform. The debate in Washington this fall ought to have been about why the United States has the worst health-care system in the developed world, why Americans pay twice the Western average to maintain that system, and what fundamental changes are needed to make the system better serve us. But Democrats rendered those questions academic when they decided the first principle of reform would be, as Barack Obama has so often explained, that “nothing in our plan requires you to change what you have.”
This claim reassured not just the people who like their current employment benefits but also the companies that receive some part of the more than $2 trillion Americans spend every year on health care and that can expect to continue receiving their share when the current round of legislation has come to an end. The health-care industry has captured the regulatory process, and it has used that capture to eliminate any real competition, whether from the government, in the form of a single-payer system, or from new and more efficient competitors in the private sector who might have the audacity to offer a better product at a better price.
The polite word for regulatory capture in Washington is “moderation.” Normally we understand moderation to be a process whereby we balance the conservative-right-red preference for “free markets” with the liberal-left-blue preference for “big government.” Determining the correct level of market intervention means splitting the difference. Some people (David Broder, members of the Concord Coalition) believe such an approach will lead to the wisest policies. Others (James Madison) see it only as the least undemocratic approach to resolving disputes between opposing interest groups. The contemporary form of moderation, however, simply assumes government growth (i.e., intervention), which occurs under both parties, and instead concerns itself with balancing the regulatory interests of various campaign contributors. The interests of the insurance companies are moderated by the interests of the drug manufacturers, which in turn are moderated by the interests of the trial lawyers and perhaps even by the interests of organized labor, and in this way the locus of competition is transported from the marketplace to the legislature. The result is that mediocre trusts secure the blessing of government sanction even as they avoid any obligation to serve the public good. Prices stay high, producers fail to innovate, and social inequities remain in place.
No one today is more moderate than the Democrats. Indeed, the triangulating work that began two decades ago under Bill Clinton is reaching its apogee under the politically astute guidance of Barack Obama. “There are those on the left who believe that the only way to fix the system is through a single-payer system like Canada’s,” Obama noted (correctly) last September. “On the right, there are those who argue that we should end employer-based systems and leave individuals to buy health insurance on their own.” The president, as is his habit, proposed that the appropriate solution lay somewhere in between. “There are arguments to be made for both these approaches. But either one would represent a radical shift that would disrupt the health care most people currently have. Since health care represents one-sixth of our economy, I believe it makes more sense to build on what works and fix what doesn’t, rather than try to build an entirely new system from scratch.”
With such soothing words, the Democrats have easily surpassed the Republicans in fund-raising from the health-care industry and are even pulling ahead in the overall insurance sector, where Republicans once had a two-to-one fund-raising advantage. The deal Obama presented last year, the deal he was elected on, and the deal that likely will pass in the end is a deal the insurance companies like, because it will save their industry from the scrap heap even as it satisfies the “popular clamor for a government supervision.”
<hr> The private insurance industry, as currently constituted, would collapse if the government allowed real competition. The companies offer no real value and so instead must create a regulatory system that virtually mandates their existence and will soon actually do so.
A study by the McKinsey Global Institute found that health insurance cost the United States $145 billion in 2006, which was $91 billion more than what would be expected in a comparably wealthy country. This very large disparity may be explained by another study, by the American Medical Association, which shows that the vast majority of U.S. health-insurance markets are dominated by one or two health insurers. In California, the most competitive state, the top two insurance companies shared 58 percent of the market. In Hawaii, the top two companies shared the entire market. In some individual towns there was even less competition—Wellmark, for instance, owns 96 percent of the market in Decatur, Alabama. “Meanwhile, there has been year-to-year growth in the largest health insurers’ profitability,” the AMA reports, even as “consumers have been facing higher premiums, deductibles, copayments and coinsurance, effectively reducing the scope of their coverage.” And yet no innovating entrepreneurs have emerged to compete with these profitable enterprises. The AMA suggests this is because various “regulatory requirements” provide “significant barriers to entry.” Chief among those barriers, it should be noted, is an actual congressional exemption from antitrust laws, in the form of the McCarran–Ferguson Act of 1945.
Insurance companies aren’t quite buggy-whip manufacturers. But they are close. In the past, one could have made an argument that in their bureaucratic capacities—particularly, assessing risk and apportioning payments—insurance companies did offer some expertise that was worth paying for. But all of the trends in politics and in information technology are against insurance companies’ offering even that level of value. Insurance is an information business, and as technology makes information-management cheaper, technological barriers to entry will fall, and competition will increase. (People who relied on the cost of printing presses to maintain a monopoly should be able to relate.)
At the same time, the very idea of assessing health risk is beginning to be understood as undemocratic, as was revealed by the overwhelming support for the 2008 Genetic Information Non-Discrimination Act, which bars insurers from assessing risk based on genetic information. Over time, more and more information will be off-limits to underwriters, so that insurance ultimately will be commoditized—every unit of insurance will cost about the same as every other unit of insurance. Managers know that one must never allow one’s product to become a mere commodity. When every product is like every other product, brand loyalty disappears and prices plummet.
Which perhaps is one reason why the insurers themselves have always favored the central elements of the Democratic plan. As long ago as 1992, when Hillary Clinton was formulating her own approach to reform, the Health Insurance Association of America (now America’s Health Insurance Plans, or AHIP) announced that insurers would agree to sell insurance to everyone, regardless of medical condition (guaranteed issue) if the government required every American to buy that insurance, and used tax dollars to subsidize those who could not afford to do so (universal mandate). Carl Schramm, the president of the association, said this was the “only way you preserve the private health-insurance industry. It’s plain-out enlightened self–interest.” The deal collapsed nonetheless, in part because Congress wanted to introduce a “community rating” system that would have put an end to underwriting by making insurers sell insurance to everybody in a given community for the same price. Insurers wanted to maintain the profitable ability to charge different prices to different people.
Last December, though, AHIP said it would support community rating as well, and since then the real negotiation has been all about details. The insurance companies would agree to sell their undifferentiated commodity to all people, no matter how sick, if the government agreed to require all people, no matter how healthy, to buy their undifferentiated commodity. Sick people who need insurance get insurance and healthy people who don’t need insurance cover the cost. A universal mandate would include the 47 million uninsured—47 million new customers.
The Democratic plan looks to be a huge windfall for the insurance companies. How big is not known, but as BusinessWeek reported in August, “No matter what specifics emerge in the voluminous bill Congress may send to President Obama this fall, the insurance industry will emerge more profitable.” The magazine quoted an unnamed aide to the Senate Finance Committee who said, “The bottom line is that health reform would lead to increased revenues and profits.”
<hr> Democrats have crafted a plan full of ideas that almost certainly will help a lot of people who can’t afford insurance now. It also happens to be the case that some of those ideas will significantly benefit the corporations that at one time or another have paid Democrats a lot of money.
The framework for reform, for instance, was authored not by Max Baucus, the Democratic senator who chairs the Finance Committee, but by his senior aide, Liz Fowler, who also directs the committee’s health-care staff. She worked for Baucus from 2001 to 2005 but then left for the private sector. In 2008, reports the Washington gossip paper Politico, “sensing that a Democratic-controlled Congress would make progress on overhauling the health care system,” she returned to Baucus’s side. Where had she retreated to recover from her Washington labors? Politico does not say. In fact, she had become the vice president for public policy and external affairs at WellPoint, one of the nation’s largest health-insurance corporations.
Pretty much everyone involved in health-care reform has been on the payroll of one health-care firm or another. Howard Dean, the former head of the Democratic National Committee and, heroically, a longtime proponent of a single-payer system, nonetheless recently joined McKenna Long & Aldrich, a lobbying firm with many clients in the industry. Nancy-Ann DeParle, the so-called health czar who is overseeing reform at the White House, is reported to have made as much as $6 million serving on the boards of several major medical firms. Tom Daschle, who was set to be Obama’s secretary of health and human services until it emerged that he had failed to pay taxes on his limousine and driver, now earns a $2 million salary as a “special public policy advisor” for the lobbying firm of Alston & Bird, which represents, among many other clients, HealthSouth and Aetna. Asked to describe his current role, Daschle said, “I am most comfortable with the word resource.”
Most illustrative of the clever efficiency with which the Democrats have allowed themselves to be captured, though, is the strange journey of Billy Tauzin. He spent his first fifteen years in Congress as a “conservative” Democrat, struggling mightily to make his fellow party members more amenable to the needs of the health-care industry. In 1994 he founded the “moderate” Blue Dog coalition, whose members continue to deliver the most reliably pro–business vote in the Democratic caucus. But the Blue Dogs of 1994 did not go far enough for Tauzin, so in 1995 he became a Republican, and by 2003 he finally had mastered the system to the degree that he could personally craft one of the largest corporate giveaways in American history: Medicare Part D. After that bill was made into law, he took the natural next step—he became president of the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America, the lobbying arm of the drug industry.
Now the circle is complete. The Democratic president of the United States, the candidate of change, the leader of the party Billy Tauzin deserted so long ago for failing to meet the needs of business, must “negotiate” directly with this Republican lobbyist, and rather than repeat this entire tortured journey himself, all Obama has to do is agree to Tauzin’s demands—which he has. The Democratic deal for the drug companies is, if anything, even sweeter than the Democratic deal for the insurance companies. After one of Tauzin’s many visits to the White House, he told the Los Angeles Times that the president had decided Medicare Part D would not be touched. “The White House blessed it,” Tauzin said, assuring his clients that billions of government dollars would continue to flow their way. Democrats, meanwhile, must have been almost equally assured by the subsequent headline in Ad Age: “Pharma Backs Obama Health Reform with $150 Million Campaign.”
<hr> What can Republicans do against opponents like that? They are trying to win back their friends in industry, but the effort is a bit sad. In September, for instance, Senator Jim Bunning of Kentucky proposed an amendment that would, among other things, require a “cooling-off period” of seventy-two hours once the bill was completed. His colleague, Pat Roberts of Kansas, said such a pause would provide “the people that the providers have hired to keep up with all of the legislation that we pass around here” the opportunity to say, “‘Hey, wait a minute. Have you considered this?’”
But of course “the people that the providers have hired”—having actually already written the legislation—are quite familiar with the details. The only hope for Republicans right now is if the insurers themselves decide they can get an even better deal by turning on the Democrats, which no doubt they eventually will. Just because competition has moved from the marketplace to the legislature does not mean it is any less intense. Even as various cartels and trusts compete for the favor of the parties, so too must the parties continue to compete for the favor of the cartels and the trusts. In October, for instance, the insurers appeared to turn against the Democrats when AHIP released a study that claimed the Democratic approach to reform would radically increase the cost of insurance. Obama, meanwhile, hit right back. In his weekly radio address, he said the study was “bogus,” noted that the insurance companies had long resisted attempts at reform, and even called into question the validity of the industry’s antitrust exemption. The New York Times reported that such attacks indicated a “sharp break between the White House and the insurance industry,” but this was better understood as a negotiating gambit—perhaps insurers believed drug manufacturers were getting a better deal and saw an opening, or perhaps they simply wanted to revise a specific term of the bill, which at the time, according to the Wall Street Journal, would have increased their industry’s tax burden by $6.7 billion a year.
As Democrats negotiate such impasses, the Republicans, no longer the favored party of corporate America, are left to represent nothing and no one but themselves. They are opposing reform not for ideological reasons but simply because no other play is available. They have lost the business vote, and even their call for “fiscal responsibility” is gestural at best. The “public plan” so hated by Republicans, for instance, would have reduced the cost of reform by as much as $250 billion over the next decade, yet the party universally opposed it because, as Senator Charles Grassley of Iowa explained, “Government is not a fair competitor. It’s a predator.”
Such non sequiturs have opened the way to the darker dream logic that of late has come to dominate G.O.P. rhetoric. Nothing remains but primordial emotion—the fear, rage, and jealousy that have always animated a significant minority of American voters—so Republican congressmen are left to take up concerns about “death panels” and “Soviet-style gulag health care” that will “absolutely kill seniors.” Republicans, having lost their status as the party of business, have become the party of incoherent rage. It is difficult to imagine anything good coming from a system that moderates the will of corporations with the fantasies of hysterics.

=

Back