Healthcare

There is a move afoot to make us feel the president is actually seeking bipartisanship with regard to the health care bill. Noting is further from the truth. There are a few revisions that shove some start dates further back to 2018 but the taxes are collected now. Many things are still in there. Here's a good one.
On pages 25 and 26 it reads, if the Secretary of HHS(Sibelius) determines that with regards to high risk pools, that if she thinks they are running out of money, the secretary can on her own, unilateraly and by herself, can reduce benefits, raise premiums, or establish waiting list. This bill still has the objective to control our lives.
I invite you to listen to a speech given at CPAC by Newt Gingrich. I know, some of you don't care for him. I don't like his personal living habits either. But you will have to agree he is one of the big motivations behind the conservative movement. His speech is very enlightening and I would hope you will take the time to listen to what he has to say. It is very important.

Featured Video

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
What IS important to me is that our elected officials represent the will of the (majority of the) constituents in their respective area on each and EVERY issue (which means that there will be times when that representative's personal opinion does not match that of the public in his/her area).

Oddly enough, I think THAT IS the problem. They cater to the interests of their constituency, which is spelled "financial contributors". I am more interested in them living by their oath to UPHOLD the Constitution. In the described scenario, anything that the "people" of an elected represntative want, he would act on, regardless of it's constitutional limitations. Inalienable rights mean that they CAN"T be taken away, regardless if everone else but you agree. If you analyze most of the major fundings and policies that this govt. follows, I think that most would be unconstitutional.Now if you wish the Constitution to go away, just say so, That way WE all will know that there are NO rules instead of pretending there are.

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
On pages 25 and 26 it reads, if the Secretary of HHS(Sibelius) determines that with regards to high risk pools, that if she thinks they are running out of money, the secretary can on her own, unilateraly and by herself, can reduce benefits, raise premiums, or establish waiting list.
Featured Video
Since that is how they operate SS why would it be any different?? I think one of the pieces not discussed is that Americans are aging, as they get to SS age they will get SS medical benefits.Since they keep trimming SS down a little at a time( they collected all that money in advance as well), what better way to cut it more by connecting it with the Health care debate. If Medical costs keep going up, why hasn't the cigarette tax not helped. They tax all those that smoke an obscene amount to cover the added costs that smoking supposedly creates( I don't smoke). Yet there is another perspective that IF cigarette smokers do die earlier( as it has been suggested) then the SS savings to the govt. far exceeds the medical costs they generate until departure. I remember when cigarette companies used to have coupons. You could exchange them for all sorts of logo'd items.If there was any intention to actually help the smokers with health costs why didn't they just have the cigarette companies put x amount of $$ per pack sold into a interest bearing pool?They could have printed "health coupons" to go with each pack and if you needed cigarette related healthcare you could give them a coupon. I know you wouldn't create a large number of overpaid govt. jobs like it has, but it would probably have been more effective.
When the economy gets rougher the politicians get greedier, "we have to eat to"( Chief Dan George from "Americathon")

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
THE SOLUTION TO SENIOR HEALTH CARE

While discussing the upcoming Universal Health Care Program the other day, I think we have found the solution. I am sure you have heard the ideas that if you are a senior you need to suck it up and give up the idea that you need any health care. A new hip? Unheard of. We simply can't afford to take care of you anymore. You don't need any medications for your high blood pressure, diabetes, heart problems, etc. Let's take care of the young people. After all, they will be ruling the world very soon.

So here is the solution. When you turn 70, you get a gun and 4 bullets. You are allowed to shoot 2 senators and 2 representatives. Of course, you will be sent to prison where you will get 3 meals a day, a roof over your head and all the health care you need! New teeth, great! Need glasses, no problem. New hip, knee, kidney, lung, heart? Well bring it on. And who will be paying for all of this. The same government that just told you that you are too old for health care. And, since you are a prisoner, you don't have to pay any income tax. And if we all do our part we can end up in the same prison and have one hell of a social life. I really think we have found a perfect solution!

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter

While discussing the upcoming Universal Health Care Program the other day, I think we have found the solution. I am sure you have heard the ideas that if you are a senior you need to suck it up and give up the idea that you need any health care. A new hip? Unheard of. We simply can't afford to take care of you anymore. You don't need any medications for your high blood pressure, diabetes, heart problems, etc. Let's take care of the young people. After all, they will be ruling the world very soon.

So here is the solution. When you turn 70, you get a gun and 4 bullets. You are allowed to shoot 2 senators and 2 representatives. Of course, you will be sent to prison where you will get 3 meals a day, a roof over your head and all the health care you need! New teeth, great! Need glasses, no problem. New hip, knee, kidney, lung, heart? Well bring it on. And who will be paying for all of this. The same government that just told you that you are too old for health care. And, since you are a prisoner, you don't have to pay any income tax. And if we all do our part we can end up in the same prison and have one hell of a social life. I really think we have found a perfect solution!

I like the sound of that Pete. However, I think that 70 is far too old to have to wait. Since we are so fond of tying up things together, make it part of the first SS payment. I'm afraid that some 70 year olds eyes are not up to putting those 4 bullets to their most effective use. If you allowed them 2 Senators and 2 representatives, but didn't limit the number of bullets...that might be a nice compromise. I'd go with the 70 then.

That's a great idea, but we need to use this with a full load.
AA-12 Automatic Shotgun: Be Afraid. Be Very Afraid | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Being that over 2/3 of the people in the US don't want anything to do with this healthcare proposal, I can't help but think that the bull headed push is for the future legacy of those that are pushing for it! It has nothing at all to do with the well being of the American citizen. It has everything to do with creating a new voter base of illegal aliens/new citizens and those on welfare. Do these people have something against working and earning money for what you want? What the hell does the word "illegal" mean anyway?

Found on Linked In. Done by a professional accounting corp.

Dixon Hughes Advisory Bulletin | March 26, 2010
Health Care Reform Acts
Two pieces of landmark legislation concerning health care were passed this week. On March 21 the House of Representatives passed the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (the Patient Protection Act). This was followed by passage of the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010 (the Reconciliation Act) on March 25. The President has already signed the Patient Protection Act into law and is expected to sign the Reconciliation Act into law without delay.
Together, these two pieces of legislation drastically change health care in the United States. The central goals of this massive reform are to provide health care insurance to the majority of currently uninsured individuals and to curb rising health care costs. Over time, most individuals will be required to either have health insurance or pay a fine. There will be some subsidies and credits available to certain individuals to help defer the cost of coverage. Employers with 50 or more employees will either have to provide minimum essential coverage or will be liable for an additional tax. In order to raise revenue to offset some of the costs, there will be additional Medicare tax paid by high income individuals, there will be a tax on high cost insurance plans and there will be certain fees on various health related industries. However, it will take up to 10 years for all aspects of the law to kick in. Below is a timeline of when the various benefits, protections, and costs will take effect.
2010 Unmarried dependent children may remain on their parent’s insurance policy up to age 26.
 Insurers will not be permitted to deny children coverage based on pre-existing conditions.
 Individuals who have been unable to obtain coverage due to pre-existing conditions will be able to purchase it from special high-risk insurance pools.
 Medicare recipients who fall into the prescription drug coverage gap will receive a $250 rebate.  Insurers will no longer be able to cancel policies except in cases of fraud nor will they be able to
set lifetime coverage caps on policies.
 A new tax credit will be available for 2010 (and 2009) to encourage investments in new health care therapies.
 A tax credit will be available to small businesses that have fewer than 25 full-time equivalent employees and that have average annual wages of less than $50,000, if they offer health insurance to those employees. The credit will be up to 35% of the employer’s contribution toward the employees’ health insurance premium.
 Medicare acute hospital inpatient payments are reduced .25%. Numerous additional Medicare hospital payment reductions are scheduled over the next ten years.
 501(c)(3) hospitals will be required to report four additional items related to charity care and community needs in order to retain not-for-profit status.
 The qualification requirement for certain tax deductions based on claims and expenses, and unearned premium reserves, for some health organizations, including Blue Cross and Blue Shield organizations, has been modified.
 The adoption credit will be increased by $1,000, become a refundable credit and will continue through 2011. The adoption assistance exclusion will also increase by $1,000.
© 2010 Dixon Hughes PLLC | dixon-hughes.com
To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any tax advice contained in this communication(including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code.
 The economic substance doctrine, which denies tax benefits unless the transaction generating the benefit changes the taxpayer’s economic position in a meaningful way other than through its federal tax position, is codified for transactions entered into after the date of enactment. Violations are subject to an automatic 20%-40% penalty.
2011 The pharmaceutical industry will begin paying annual flat fees starting at $2.5 million dollars. The fees would not apply to companies with sales of branded pharmaceuticals of $5 million or less.
 Medicare Part D recipients who fall into the prescription drug coverage gap will receive a 50% discount of their brand name prescriptions.
 Employers will have to start reporting the value of employees’ health care benefits on their W-2’s.  A new benefit plan to be known as a Simple Cafeteria Plan will be established so that small
businesses can more easily provide benefits to their employees.
 Deductible medical expenses for health reimbursement accounts (HRAs), flexible savings accounts (FSAs) and Archer medical savings accounts (MSAs) will be the same as deductible medical expenses for purposes of itemized deductions on Schedule A of Form 1040, except for doctor prescribed over-the-counter medicine.
2012 Non-profit insurance co-ops will be created to compete with for-profit insurers.
 Physicians and hospitals will be encouraged to form “accountable care organizations.” These organizations would be quality driven and would attempt to find more efficient ways of paying providers who care for Medicare patients.
 Businesses that pay more than $600 during the year to corporate providers of property or services will have to file an information report with the provider and the IRS.
2013 The Hospital Insurance payroll tax will increase from 1.45% to 2.35% on earned income in excess of $200,000 for individuals and $250,000 for families.
 A new Unearned Income Medicare Contribution surtax of 3.8% on investment income will also be imposed on individuals with adjusted gross income (AGI) above $200,000 and joint filers with AGI above $250,000. Distributions from qualified retirement plans would be exempt from the tax.
 Annual contributions to flexible spending accounts for medical expenses will be capped at $2,500. The limit will be indexed for inflation thereafter.
 The threshold for deducting medical expenses as an itemized deduction is raised to amounts greater than 10% of AGI. However, people over age 65 can continue to deduct medical expenses in excess of 7.5% of AGI through 2016.
 If 25% or more of the premium income an insurer receives does not meet the minimum essential coverage requirements, deductible compensation to a high-level employee of the insurer will be limited to $500,000, with certain provisions for deferred compensation.
 Hospitals will be eligible for Medicare value-based purchasing payments.  Hospitals may receive a reduction in Medicare payments based on their volume of patient re-
admissions.
To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any tax advice contained in this communication(including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code.
 There will be an additional excise tax on sales of medical devices with the exception of some items routinely purchased by consumers such as eyeglasses and hearing aids.
 The additional tax for HSA withdrawals and MSA withdrawals not used for purposes of a qualified medical expense will be increased to 20%.
2014 The centerpiece of the health care reform bill will take effect in 2014. Most U.S. citizens and legal residents that are not covered by Medicare or Medicaid will be required to have health insurance or pay a fine. (There are a few exemptions to these requirements.) Fines generally begin at $95 in 2014 and rise to $695 by 2016. The fines for children under age 18 are half that amount. Families without insurance will face fines of up to $2,250.
 Employers with more than 50 employees must offer insurance or pay a penalty of $2,000 per employee, after the first 30 employees.
 New state insurance exchanges should be open giving individuals and small businesses other options to obtain insurance.
 An annual, nondeductible fee will be imposed on health insurance providers insuring US citizens, US residents, and individuals located in the US. The aggregate annual fee will be apportioned among providers based on a market share ratio. The initial fee to be apportioned in 2014 is $8 billion.
 Hospitals may receive a reduction in Medicare payments based on their volume of patient hospital-acquired conditions.
 This will be the first year of phased-in reductions to Medicare and Medicaid disproportionate share hospital payments, based on reductions in the uninsured population.
 Insurers will also be prohibited from denying coverage to adults with pre-existing conditions and charging higher premiums to individuals with poor health. Premiums may only vary for reasons of age, geography, family size and tobacco use.
2018 The tax on high cost health plans takes effect. Insurance companies and plan administrators, who provide insurance policies with annual premiums over $10,200 per individual, or $27,500 per family, will pay a 40% non-deductible excise tax on the excess. Stand-alone dental and vision plans would not be included in the annual premium limit. Higher premium levels ($11,850 per individual or $30,950 per family) would apply for retired individuals age 55 or older and for employees in certain high-risk professions.
Obviously, this is only a summary of the highlights of these two pieces of legislation. Much will be learned, and worked out concerning the details of this legislation over the coming months.
For further information, please contact your Dixon Hughes advisor.
About Dixon Hughes: Dixon Hughes is the largest accounting firm based in the Southern U.S. and ranks among the nation’s top 20. With a staff of over 1200 located in eight states, the firm provides a wide array of assurance, tax and consulting services to clients of all sizes. For more information, visit Dixon Hughes PLLC : Certified Public Accountants and Advisors.

From Roland Burris' (Illinois Senator who took over from BHO) letter received today:

My fellow Illinoisans,

After nearly a century of false starts and following more than a year of national debate, my colleagues and I have finally passed sweeping health reform legislation, which President Obama signed into law.

We've achieved historic reform - but many Illinoisans have been left wondering: "What exactly does this mean for me?"

Senator Burris greets Illinois medical professionals.

There are a number of key provisions that will take effect almost immediately. These include:

- Tax credits for as many as 144,000 small businesses in Illinois

- Immediate access to affordable coverage for 201,233 Illinoisans who are currently uninsured due to a pre-existing condition

- Medicare improvements and lower-cost prescription drugs for 1.8 million Illinois seniors

- Prohibiting insurance companies from using pre-existing conditions as an excuse to deny care to 3.2 million Illinois children

And this is only the beginning. Once the new law is fully implemented, family health insurance premiums will be reduced by $1,630-$2330 with no reduction in benefits. Up to 1 million Illinoisans will receive tax credits. Approximately 1,100-1,700 jobs will be created in our state. A total of 570 Community Health Centers in Illinois will receive additional funding.

In Illinois and across the country, this landmark reform law will provide tremendous benefits in both the short term and the long term. It is even projected to cut our deficit by $143 billion in the first ten years and an astounding $1.3 trillion in the decade after that.

Please log on to my website at burris.senate.gov to contact me with any questions or concerns and find out about the work I'm doing on your behalf in Washington. On the issue of health care reform and on every other challenge we face, I am proud to represent you in the U.S. Senate, and I remain committed to fighting for your interests every day.

Sincerely,

Roland W. Burris

Please Note : I cannot respond to replies directly to this email address due to security concerns. I look forward to corresponding with you through my web form at burris.senate.gov/contact.cfm.

Being that over 2/3 of the people in the US don't want anything to do with this healthcare proposal, I can't help but think that the bull headed push is for the future legacy of those that are pushing for it! It has nothing at all to do with the well being of the American citizen. It has everything to do with creating a new voter base of illegal aliens/new citizens and those on welfare. Do these people have something against working and earning money for what you want? What the hell does the word "illegal" mean anyway?

Poll: Health care plan gains favor - USATODAY.com

I don't know where America really stands on this, but I think this "2/3 don't want it" information is wrong and I'm not even sure if it ever was that high anyway.

Wow - it really says something when the people who are MOST LIKELY to benefit still do not overwhelmingly vote in support of it. :uneasy:

Or do 65 percent who don't support the health care bill, do they see something the educated elite don't want you to know they see?

Here is one of the lines that BO is using to "sell" the heath care bill. Today in a speech he actually said, "Without the health care reform, this country would go bankrupt." But we can spend a Trillion $ and we won't?????
There will be a concerted effort between now and the mid term elections, on the part of the Dems, to push only the good points of the bill(of which there are a few) and hope it will sway the public opinion away from the bad parts. You know, higher taxes, fees, and unemployment from the new corporate taxes that are coming to light. John Deer, AT&T(150 million in the first quarter), Catapiller, et al.

Bill

Agreed Bill. Business is looking for ways to get around the bill and it's too late for the Dems to fill these holes with other legislation.

I spoke to my cousin in Chicagoland and he told me the toll road doubled their charges, and he said the ones who will get hurt are those making 50k. I'll. State is already bankrupt. You have already heard about Blago, the former governor, and the rest of the Chicago/Illinois machine.

The average guy will see his STD of living go down.

Last edited:
The big problem is that these industries had the deduction for filling medicare prescriptions etc. The government just took it away with the new bill. Then they turn around and say that theses companys are just looking for a tax break. Huh!! If I hadn't heard it myself on one of the talk shows, I wouldn't have believed it. What it does mean is that these companys will become less competitive in the market place, will lose contract to inferior companys, and will start laying people off. The jobs report just came out the other day and I didn't get to hear the numbers for this month. The numbers have been going down for 27 months in a row with the exception of Nov. which was positive. If they do or did go up this month, the Dems will crow about it, but it will be short lived with this kind of information coming out. When these companys came out with the news, the head of the Ways and Means committee Henry Waxman started some blater about pulling them before his committee and producing all internal documents to prove that this was happening. Or rather trying to intimidate them into silence. If HE doesn't know what is going to happen, then it shows how misinformed the Dems are about their own legislation.

Bill

Bill, well put. Didn't the Dems blast the Republicans for not knowing what was in the bill, and didn't Nancy Pelosi say that to find out what was in the bill, it had to be passed?

My fear for people like Cat and Deere are that they will pack up and move out of the US to places like China.

While I am not against improved health care for all, my fear is this bill will:
- unemploy more Americans from good jobs (if many are still left)
- make new places of work impossible to find (risk takers will wait until the Dems are gone)
- America will become a real third world country (we are not far from there now)

Back