Hi, all. I have been a lurker for a while, planning my next project - an all weather street thriller with AC. I am a retired programmer and built a Shell Valley Cobra many years ago. FFR was on their 3rd car when I started. I like autocross and track days, with an occasional drag race day. I also worked on the DIY-EFI project. I am handicapped and I need an automatic transmission, so I was considering a FFR Daytona until I saw the SLC on Gears. After talking with Fran, I keep oscillating between the GT-40 and SLC. The GT-40 was always one of my favorite cars, along with the Thunderbolt and Cobras. Finding an automatic trans-axle was impossible until recently. Looking at the ZF 5HP24 and 6HP26 from various Audi, it now seems reasonable. The transmissions are now all computer controlled, so that will require reprogramming. (I know I will have to convert it from AWD to FWD, but that is relatively easy). Then I thought about using an Audi engine as well. The 2003 twin turbo 4.2L RS6 @ 450 HP seems like a good choice. Then there is the late model S8 with the 5.2L V10. Both are very small packages and the axle center-line seems closer the the engine than most trans-axles. Those would require more programming for the engine computer, which might be a lot of trouble. Now, questions for the group.
1: Anyone with experience tuning Audi engine and transmission computers, please contact me. All of the non-engine related programming needs to be disabled, VATs, etc. What is required to put an Audi V8 in a kit car? If anyone can dump the code to a file, I can disassemble it, make mods, and recompile it. Future versions probably need to be OBD2 compliant. (I can get an exemption).
2: Anyone know where I can get an Audi ZF to LS3 crate motor adapter? I think it might be easier to adapt the Audi transmission computer to the eRod computer than reprogramming the Audi engine computer. I don't want to re-invent the wheel if anyone has already done it. Building an adapter is not out of the question.
3: Anyone interested in a kit for converting a ZF trans-axle (manual or automatic) from AWD to FWD for your GT-40s, etc. (The same one they use in the R8). I may start a small company to supplement my retirement. The new ZFs are small and light (and cheap) and will handle serious HP as long as you don't try for maximum launch in low gear. IMHO, the transmission is stronger than the differential. Please advise.
Fran, Thanks for the phone conversations!
All, thanks in advance for your assistance.
Tom Sharpe

Tom,
Just wanted you to know there are several of us in the Atlanta area. Mine is a gt 40 and Bob is up in Buford with an SLC, and there are a couple of others that have or had GT 40s.
bob and I are planning to get together sometime soon. If you would like to see an SLC or a 40 for measurements and looks, I believe I can safely speak for both of us and say we are available. Mine is a DRB, now GT40 Australia. You will see that most are about the same in basic measurements with minor differences.
Your project sounds interesting and you sound like you have the background to pull it off. PM me and we can talk. My knowledge of Audi stuff is very limited, but I can help out with other stuff.

Bill

Back