Helmet?

Howard Jones

Supporter
The club I run with checks the helmet every time I run with them. I help do Tec inspections with another group and I check them for every driver AND passenger. Also don't underestimate the danger of open track days. I have been at the track when two cars got upside down the day before. I have seen a guy pitch a cobra sideways at well over a hundred and just dumb luck it out without killing himself. Camaro at 110 spin it around a good 6 to 8 times right in front of a pack of cars and not hit anything, another friggin miracle.

As far as "good enough" goes, I have personally ruined TWO bell helmets in my motorcycle days. They both saved my life. One was so badly crushed that it sounded like a hard boiled egg falling on the kitchen floor. Knocked me out but I was alive.

Inside a GT40 is about the most dangerous place I can think of (except a Cobra, dangerous for another set of reasons) to be without complete fire protection. All that gas in the side-pods ............ I wear a balaclava and complete 3 layer suit, Nomex underwear, and a full face helmet.

My fear is to be trapped up against a wall on the drivers side, or deep into a tire wall, busted open fuel tank, nice hot exhaust, and unable to crawl out of the car quickly. Maybe with both doors jammed or otherwise can't be opened. At this point the 7 or 800 bucks you saved on a suit and proper fire gear is starting to look pretty friggin dumb.

Don't skimp on safety equipment. This includes a fire system. It will give you that 15-20 seconds to unbelt and craw out of the car before you have to take a breath.

If you are going to drive these cars fast on track then you should be prepared to survive a shunt. If not, then go out on the parade lap and enjoy that at a nice safe speed.

You can run with the eye-port shield flipped up if it feels better and to prevent fogging. Lots of people do.

Sorry if I bummed people out, but reality bites.......those who ignore it.

I've been looking into doing some track days in my MG recently and it seems tracks in the U.K are changing the rules. Track day helmets that were o.k last year (BS6658 Type A) are now NOT at some circuits. They are looking to impose MSA rules. Snell SA2005 or FIA compliant helmets are all o.k. BS6658 may or may not be (I think they want to phase it out). It's all in a state of flux at the moment, so worth checking before going to the track.
I asked what I thought was a simple question to the MG club about using an open face helmet in an open top car but it seemed I opened a can of worms. My current helmet is not now compliant so apart from parade laps I'll need another one even though it's non competitive.:shout:
Martin

+1 for Howard and Jack's comments. Same here: full under garments, full face helmet, Hans device, fire suppression, full cage.

From personal experience, burns to face and extremities are no fun....

Back