Hey Fran!!!

Maybe I sould go with a Rotrex Supercharger then? But the heat energy generated by the rotary engine is perfect for turbocharging. Eh... I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and go NA. I hate saying that because I'm "Mister More Power" but I think that'll be the most simple approach and if parts break, the simplicity makes repairs easy. Plus I think that 650hp NA would be great on the track and sound insane. I do know John Camden pretty well as he worked with the shop I used to work for. I'm pretty sure I can get a manifold made up to plop a Whipple on there if need be to strengthen the bottom end performance. Can you imagine the supercharger whine along with the sound of a 4 rotor? Oh God I need to change pants now...
:thumbsup:

I dont think i would ever supercharge a rotary; they make so much exhaust that turbos are just a natural fit them! Plus, a turbo would also help silence the noise. I once read that rotarys are so loud because the exhaust port opens so fast that it actually produces a sonic-boom. Those GT2 cars that were quiet back in the day, i think were forced to run mufflers....

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Those GT2 cars that were quiet back in the day, i think were forced to run mufflers....

~2000-01 I was racing an American Sedan Camaro (SCCA) and while leading my class by a handy margin, I kept ending up along side of one of these cars on the straight-away... It was so bloody painful being along side of him, I would let off the gas half-ways down the straight just sos I wouldn't have to be along side him any longer.. Even when I passed him, he'd pass me back in the twisties (I had almost 500 pounds on him)... Afterwards in the tear-down line at the tech shed, he came over and asked me if I always had to brake so early for the 1st turn... My ears were still ringing and I had to ask him to repeat himself 2 more times.. :shocked:
He had won his class but shortly after we both got there to tech, he was told that he was DQ'd for sound. 140db at a track with a 102db limit is a bit much...

Note that I did have my radio ear-buds in and they were also taped in...

Never in my life have I ever heard a car that loud before. Not even my old Top Fuel car....

I occasionally had the misfortune to pit beside a 13b powered car last century- my hearing has never been the same since- fortunately it never ran alongside during a race.

if the rotary motors don't produce much torque low in the rev range, (and I don't know whether they do or don't) I'd consider a relatively small turbo....let the turbo quiet the exhaust and limit the torque (thru airflow restriction) at the same time.

Just a thought.

Ever heard a turbo rotary, with an external wastegate at full boogy? EFFEN LOUD...Like John said they do produce a sonic boom, but from what I've read most of the noise is generated by the lack of an exhaust valve, and the mixture still burning as it's shoved out the exhaust ports. As for turbos, compared to a 4 strokes, rotarys use similar compressor sizes to a 2.5L 4 cylinder, but the hot side is normally more in line with what you would find on a 5L v8!

<-- wasted a *lot* of energy tinkering with wankles.

Howard Jones

Supporter

Attachments

• 82912845.v6GxK3QJ.jpg
    82912845.v6GxK3QJ.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 261
  • 1109278853la.jpg
    1109278853la.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 270
  • 1109278853lc.jpg
    1109278853lc.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 265
Ever heard a turbo rotary, with an external wastegate at full boogy? EFFEN LOUD...Like John said they do produce a sonic boom, but from what I've read most of the noise is generated by the lack of an exhaust valve, and the mixture still burning as it's shoved out the exhaust ports. As for turbos, compared to a 4 strokes, rotarys use similar compressor sizes to a 2.5L 4 cylinder, but the hot side is normally more in line with what you would find on a 5L v8!

<-- wasted a *lot* of energy tinkering with wankles.

Yeah, i forgot about the whole unburnt fuel in the exhaust thing due to the lack of scavaging; im sure that produces a lot of sound when that ignights. Kinda like a rifle round in a pistol length barrel... Reminds me of a time I had with my rx-7. I went off track pretty far at blackhawk farms raceway and had some exhaust damamge. I didnt have enough time to fix it before the next race so I just ran it with an open header... It was the loudest slow car you had ever seen.:laugh:

Back