Holman-Moody

As far as buying a model with exact specifications I would go with Exoto. They are pre-made models which spoils the fun, but once you own one it will be hard to resists others. I bought a Daytona Coupe from them in January and a week later I bought my favorite GT40. The X-1!! It is incredible.

I have several hours of Hi-Def video that needs to be edited and converted to still shots, so it will be some time until I can post anything. When done I will pass on what I can, with his permission.

oh oh oh oh oh......show me show me.........

oh oh oh oh oh......show me show me.........

I have spent two weeks editing and have 4 hours down to 1. Unfortunately my computer and it is a very fast computer, took about 10 hours to render the video from one form of HD to one usable on a Blu-ray disk. Something I hadn't anticipated. It is coming but it may take a bit longer. Pete

I know that Monogram did the early 1/24th Ford GT roadster in injection moulded plastic. But I have never seen this as a static, just as a slot car.
Lancer did a vacformed 1/24th X-1 (Can Am with the 1965 Le Mans nose). All the Japanese kits slots or static that I have seen were the coupe not the roadster. If I can find my Japanese model cars mag I might find some more information.
Regards Allan

Thank You Allan! As stupid as it may seem this is one childhood memory that has been hounding me forever. Often I find toys on ebay that I used to play with but that GT40 roadster has always been a hazy memory. It was definitively japanese and the body looked like Dean jeffries roadster but the windshield was only half high and kind of wrapped around with invisible posts. I do not remember the front end but I think it was regular GT40 not like the Jeffries roadster.
I will look on ebay for the roadster version from Aurora now that I know it can be found.
Mike

Of course I forgot Tamiya did a slotcar 1/24th Roadster. The Dean Jeffries
es car was in real life chassis GT109 1965 Le Mans It s front was not the final GT40 shape. This is the car the Monogram slotcar was modelled on.
And I have list an injection 1/24th moulded K& B GTX roadster. I have seen an Eldon injection moulded roadster but this was 1/32nd. All the others I know about were vacformed clear shells. Also the GTX version is the Can Am car with the 1965 long Le Mans nose. I think this chassis GT110 was the 1965 GTX and also became the 1966 MKII Sebring roadster winner
Regards Allan

Since this thread has drifted to GT40 model kits maybe one of you knows what I am looking for.
As a 12 year old I bought an open GT40 model kit and used the roadster body for my slotcar which were all 1/24 scale.
It was a japanese kit, that's about all I remember and I think the windshield was not as tall as the rest of the rear body.
So if anybody has an idea I would greatly appreciate it. Rick? Alan?

I remember that, in the late 1960s. I saw one but didn't buy it, because at that time it cost about 3 Pounds Sterling (UK) (equivalent to about $75 now), which was an awful lot for a 1/24 kit. My recollection is that it was by Tamiya.

Regrets, regrets...

Regarding the 1/16 Bandai kit: It wasn't a bad overall shape, but the worst part was the front bodywork, which was not flared out over the wheels, so consequently it looked, and was, too narrow. However, by the standards of the day it was brilliant, and there was nothing else even close.

The various IMC kits had multiple errors, these being particularly noticeable in the Mark II (nose much too slim, as on Bandai's, and fender humps missing). Also, the rear deck window on both MkI and MkII had parallel sides, instead of the window getting wider as it sloped towards the back, as on the real thing. The J-car was a hybrid of two prototypes, and the axle stubs were too short for the wheels (they corrected that when they re-issued the kit as a MkIV). The MkIV was supposed to be the Le Mans-winner, but its chassis retained the curved sides of the J-car. Every one of their Ford GT kits was a compromise of some sort, and we can look back at them and see very clearly their imperfections. Some of the IMC kits were variously re-issued by Testors and/or Union (Japanese).

However, all things are relative, and 40 years ago those kits were unmatched.

By comparison, the Aurora/Revell MkI, supposed to represent a 1965 Shelby-style prototype, suffered from, amongst other things, huge rear tyres, a very high rear spoiler, wrong shape of side windows, etc etc.

All the lot, from Aurora, IMC, and the ones from the early Japanese attempts, were flawed, but I'm sure glad I still have several in stock for when I eventually get round to making them!

I have spent two weeks editing and have 4 hours down to 1. Unfortunately my computer and it is a very fast computer, took about 10 hours to render the video from one form of HD to one usable on a Blu-ray disk. Something I hadn't anticipated. It is coming but it may take a bit longer. Pete

Hi Pete,

Please put me on the list of nutters to PM when the final compilation is ready, I'd love to get hold of a copy of that! All costs covered of course.

Guys, I still have a couple of those old slotcar mags with adverts of these cars if you want them scanned with pics etc. The one I have 'lost' is the one with a full writeup of '101' plus drawings etc. Always the way huh!

Hi Pete,

Please put me on the list of nutters to PM when the final compilation is ready, I'd love to get hold of a copy of that! All costs covered of course.

As soon as I am done with the editing and get approval from Lee i will let others know. I would love to send some of these out, but I don't want to get in any dust up with Holman Moody.

Back