How do i identify a GT40 replica kit?

Hi everyone!
:shy: so I'm definitely new to the GT40 world. Just a brief history of my purchase, This summer I was at a farm auction in a small town of 40 people where an electrical engineer had a farm. He had died and his wife was selling the estate and most of his belongings. One of the items they pushed out of the barn was this white fully electric gt40 replica from the 80's. Nobody there knew exactly what it was but it got lots of attention simply because of the body styling. I learned more from the owners wife that he had built it and drove it to one car show then parked it in the garage to start another project. Well this car has a 144 volt DC electric motor and 14 - 12 volt batteries. The batteries had all been drained but were obviously toast after being in storage for so long.

Long story short I'm in the process of rebuilding the entire car and need to find a new rear window. I was told that many of the kit manufacturers utilized windows out of other vehicles so I'm hoping to find one without a custom cut version. Also any interior ideas would be great. Does anyone know how to tell what brand and model kit this was? I noticed mine has a truck lid unlike most and the front is one piece that lifts up unlike many others. Any help is very much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20130915_152208.jpg
    20130915_152208.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 641
  • 20130915_152151.jpg
    20130915_152151.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 638
  • 20131004_220911.jpg
    20131004_220911.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 607
  • 20131004_220914.jpg
    20131004_220914.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 558
  • 20131004_220852.jpg
    20131004_220852.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 505
  • 20130915_152200.jpg
    20130915_152200.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 672
IIRC Rambler Marlin glass.

JR

Edited to add: A Fiberfab fan site says the rear glass is 65-66 Mustang Fastback. Get out your tape measure...

Last edited:
It is a Fiberfab Avenger or Valkyrie. I'm pretty sure it is a 65-66 Mustang Fastback rear window as well. Do a search for Avenger forums and ask any questions you have.

Mark Clapp

I think I still have an original Fiberfab / avenger / valkyrie manual here around the house if you would like to have it, I'll mount a search thru the crap around here.

Dave Harris

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
It is a Fiberfab Avenger or Valkyrie. I'm pretty sure it is a 65-66 Mustang Fastback rear window as well. Do a search for Avenger forums and ask any questions you have.

Mark Clapp

I agree. I was big into restoring the early mustangs, and that rear window is definitely a 65-66 rear glass.

Thanks so much! Is there a way to identify the version? I can't seem to actually find any with a trunk lid like mine.

It appears to be a late Avenger version, originally set up for VW components.
Does it have torsion bar front suspension?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to GT40s.com Scotty...

Let me know if you want to part with any of the electrics in that car...
I have other EV projects planned and underway..

Thanks! I'm actually pretty stoked to use the electrics. It was setup for 144 volt but I'm going to cut it down to the 120 volt that the motor and speed control are rated for and see how well that goes. I'm planning on using AGM batteries instead of the lead acid that were originally in it. We've gutted the interior and I'm having a body shop complete the paint and bodywork starting in the beginning of February. They want to use it for a July Car Show so the goal is to be completed by then. The interior is custom with a dash and column out of a 2000 mustang. It fit almost perfect. It does have full air ride shocks around with a compressor in the rear although I feel it looks best sitting as far down as it will go. My biggest task at the moment is trying to determine the right size rims and tires. Since it's using a VW axle with Chevy adapter plates I need to find a set of 20 inch rims and tires that have a huge negative offset to fit correctly in the wells. I 'm going to try and get wide tires in the rear to give it a more aggressive stance. I also need to build some fiberglass side skirts as the frame is seen below the middle body sides which doesn't look the greatest. It's a project but definitely unique!

You can get a new manual direct from the new Fiberfab USA CO in Oregon. I have a build manual in the bookcase if you need a copy. I have one of these sitting outside my house with a LHS V 6 with auto trans. Now that i'm onto a real GT40 I probably won't finish it and have been stealing parts from it to put in the new project. Richard

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Sounds like a fun project Scotty..

I have moved this thread to ALL GT40 forum.
You may want to start another thread in the Build Log Forum to document your build!

Back