How Fast Is A SL-C?

Cody DeHart

Supporter
I'm with Mike on this one. But I guess the video will prove/disprove it?

Put the video up Cody: It would make a huge change from Cars & Coffee (sorry Mike)..:)

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd love to see it...:thumbsup:

Sorry, there was no videos taken; at least on my end.
I will search around and see if anyone else has video.

Cody DeHart

Supporter
I'll be a bit generic, as there are obvious supporting mods that you would need to make in order for this to happen. Take say a late 90's Camaro, Bore x stroke it out to 6.8L (would require sleeving and replace the stock LS1 heads). Add a couple of turbos. You are at a very easy, and actually very streetable 1100 - 1200 HP. Strip the car down. Now you are at around 2700lbs. Put on some D.O.T street tires and a nice traction control unit.

Not saying it would be comfortable, quiet driving car, but it would be "in a straight line" as fast as the P1.

Cody's 441 LS7, would have at LEAST 600HP, and is probably closer to 700

P1 weighs in at 3280 and has 908HP giving it a
Power to weight ratio = 3.6lbs/HP

Cody's SLC probably weighs around 2400lbs and lets say 650hp
Power to weight ratio = 3.7lbs/HP

I say it's pretty close. Also, remember, the P1 has a 3.8L engine with two turbos, so it's trying to get 727HP out of a 3.8L or 191HP/Liter. The trade off is a little bit of turbo lag. Granted, turbos have come a long way since the 80s, and there isn't near the lag there was. However, I will say this.

Everything being equal and you have two identical cars with the only difference being one is turbo, the other is NA. The NA will be faster, as it does not have to worry about transient response and lag. Whereas you step on a turboed car, you have to wait for the exhaust gases to build up enough to push the turbine, which in turn pushes the compressor to bring in air.

You are pretty close, the SL-C put down just over 689 RWHP so I am not sure what that compares to when you speak about flywheel power; which are the posted HP ratings used for the other cars.

At a relatively standard 20% drivetrain loss, that would put the motor at approx. 826hp flywheel. Not saying it didn't happen or did, but for an n/a ls at 440c.i., you are knocking on 2hp per cubic inch. Fuel injection would help, but I would call that on the edge of streetable.
Curious the motor specs to achieve that.

Cody DeHart

Supporter
Cody,
can you give us further details of the runs? starting gears for each run and finishing gear and/or speed each run?
Warren Kreyer used to own Cody's car and he told me the engine was dyno'd at 689hp, however, I can't recall the weight.

Yes, Warren built this car and he did very well. I just posted what happen because I was surprised and I wanted to see what other SL-C's are doing out there. I am not trying to brag by any means; I have no right to. All I have done in purchased a well built car and drove it. I have no reason to lie. I am surprised at the responses I am getting and all the negativity. I don't have a video because I was driving and I am not one of those guys that drive around with a GoPro on there car. I was out having fun with some friends (P1 and 918 drivers). Both the P1 and 918 drivers were just as surprised as I was.

Cody.
You beat a P1! A f*c*ING P-ONE!
I would brag all day long!

Outstanding cody!
I think everyone should take there car to the strip and show what they can do and post times and specs.
Does anyone else know any p1's or 918's to race?

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Does make for a great story :)

This one time I beat a P FIFTY ONE. Unfortunately, my dog ate my homework :(

Keith

Yes, Warren built this car and he did very well. I just posted what happen because I was surprised and I wanted to see what other SL-C's are doing out there. I am not trying to brag by any means; I have no right to. All I have done in purchased a well built car and drove it. I have no reason to lie. I am surprised at the responses I am getting and all the negativity. I don't have a video because I was driving and I am not one of those guys that drive around with a GoPro on there car. I was out having fun with some friends (P1 and 918 drivers). Both the P1 and 918 drivers were just as surprised as I was.

Hi Cody, it's not negativity mate. This is a very knowledgeable site with keen enthusiasts and professionals as members. Everything that is done is well documented and backed up with dyno sheets, videos, time slips and photographs. It's the way the site is. There is a fantastic knowledge base of seasoned professionals who have walked the walk at every conceivable level and as a result, bench racing gets the cold shoulder unless supported.

It's just the high standard that has evolved on GT40s which is what makes it unique among all enthusiasts sites so if you claim something extraordinary (which you have), we all want to share your excitement but forgive us for being a little cautious.

Cody DeHart

Supporter
Cody.
You beat a P1! A f*c*ING P-ONE!
I would brag all day long!

Outstanding cody!
I think everyone should take there car to the strip and show what they can do and post times and specs.
Does anyone else know any p1's or 918's to race?

I think the car would not do good at the strip...at least with me driving. I have not been able to get this car off the line as strong as I think it can. That is why I did the roll race thing; if the race started from a stop I know it would be a different story. I will see if I can't get with those guys this weekend and actually video this time. I think the guy with the 918 is going to do an event with me this weekend, it is with the Ferrari club so he might end up bringing a Ferrari instead.

For the record I believe you, but a video wold be crazy awesome. Post it on youtube with an easy to find title like "Superlite SLC" so everyone who has one can just tell people who stop them "YouTube Superlite SLC" when they ask questions. Just a thought as everyone could benefit from your awesomeness.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
i would be judicious with what was posted to YouTube. Lots of people finding trouble by doing that these days.

Yeah F***ing rights I'd brag, no replacement for displacement except for maybe 10000 RPM
I used kick sport bikes with my 427 SC Cobra no one was more surprised then the bikers.
when I'd come to a stop and they finally catch up and say WTF lol.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
There is a replacement for displacement. They're called spinny things and instant torque electric motors. What does it take to get 800+ hp out of a NA LS7?

Hi Cody,
I'm certainly not being negative, far from it, I'm really excited at what you achieved. I was just asking for that data out of interest.
I'd be bloody bragging!

I can certainly vouch for the SLC being awesome in 2nd gear rolling runs it hooks up so well, unfortunately in Aust they don't allow P1's or 918's to be road registered...anyways, with only 480hp I wouldn't hold out much hope.

just one comment: I seem to recall Warren telling me his engine was putting out 689hp at the flywheel rather than the wheels?

cheers
Stuart

Last edited:
Back