How to make the change to knock on/off wheels

Simple hub and adapter drawings;
Had to re-draw some of the parts so here they are, had major problems uploading the drawings this week...finally just took a photo of each drawing and downloaded them.
I omitted most of the dimensions, in the case of the wheel they would be particular to that wheel only. The hub would need bearing bores to fit the particular upright being used, and bolt holes for the wheel pins and rotor hat would need to be drilled and tapped. My dimensions are particular to my setup.
On the hub there is a 3/8" setback to allow for the adapter, and the adapter is drilled thru. This could be left solid with only space for the bearing retainer nut and cotter pin.
The 3/8 setback on the hub allowed me to keep the original 56" track width. The original hubs had a 1/2" thick flange, and machining off 3/8" would have left next to no material for supporting the adapter. I kept the stock location for the rotor hat, just beefed up the area which didn't add much weight at all.
The photos aren't great, but give a good idea of how the parts look.
Hope some of this helps

Attachments

• temp 047.jpg
    temp 047.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 362
  • temp 048.jpg
    temp 048.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 360
John:
You are welcome. I realize that the photos are of poor quality, and there are dimensions missing, but I fabbed these parts to fit a particular wheel, and they would not necessesarily fit other types.
The hubs I had on my uprights would have worked with a wheel such as Vintage or Trigo etc., except for the added 3/8" which put me too close to the bodywork.
The snout on the adapter has a thru hole as I wanted the same look as original, and I simply plugged the bore about 2" in to seal off the front bearing.
The whole setup weighs about 2 lbs.
I had originally wanted to O-ring the area between the adapter and hub, but the fit on the hub and face of the adapter was so good we left it out.
Thanks for the input.
Cheers
Phil

Howard Jones

Supporter
Why don't you get in touch with Phil Schmidt at PS Engineering. His company makes wheels for a lot of different historic race cars and he might be familiar with the wheels you have. I also believe he still will drill bolt-on adapters to suit different wheels. He did the adapters for my BRM's that are on my GT40.

http://www.psvintagewheels.com/contactus.html

Can't hurt to ask for help.

Back