I May Have To Sell My Unfinsihed GT40

Bill,

So glad to hear the good news. A temporary delay in finishing your project is a set back, but no where near what selling your project whould have been. Good luck
for the near future, and please keep us informed of your progress!

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
Hoo Rah........great news Bill.......... I started 2 years ago and am still waiting for my chassis..... patience......

Bill,
Great news,
Not such a bad outcome.
Delayed gratification...It'll be worth waiting for. You will enjoy it even more knowing you nearly lost it.
Cheers,
Martin

Hey Bill,

Glad to see things are looking up. I can feel what you have been going
through. Every time it looks like I can make the plunge, something
happens, and I have to put it off. The most recent pair of issues looks
to have set me back a few more years. But, in the end, I needed to do
what was best for my family as a whole.

The good news is, the new job (even with the major paycut and relocation
to more expensive region) has spurred huge improvements to my families
quality of life as well as my health. We still have a tight few months ahead,
but hopefully I'll get some good news myself in the next month or so.

Ian

Howard Jones

Supporter
My offer still stands until you have your own car on the road. By the way we all EXPECT you to come north for the 4th annual GT40 party at my house next month. I hope all is resolved by then and you can make it.

Your friend, Howard

Bill,
Don't let a "little delay" put you in a bad way. I started out 4 1/2 years ago to finish mine in 8 months. Life has a way of throwing you curves. As In driving, it how you handle them that counts. I can tell you from personal experience that the end of the journey makes it all worth while. After all, it is the journey not the destination. Enjoy your time and it will all work out. What I did during my hiatis(there have been more than a few), was to do the things that occupied time and not so much money. There are lots of those. If your time available to work is down, then do what you can and be happy with it.

Bill

Bill,

I don't know you from Adam, yet you came forward and gave of yourself freely to me, and to everybody else on this forum. I'm glad to hear that you have put off the idea of selling your car.

Don't sweat it if you have to push it to the side for awhile--even a long while. It will always be a 'work in progress'--even if there's no progress! Whether you lose interest for awhile (not likely) or life intervenes and prevents you from devoting the time to the project that you like, the point is that at some point you'll return to it and continue marching forward. My Pantera restoration took 17 years (!) before the car was truly roadworthy. No, it's not 'finished', but I can now drive it, and do.

And you know what? Now that I'm driving it (since February of this year), it feels damn great! Yes, it makes me wish I had finished it years ago, but it also makes me appreciate the fact that it's on the road at last.

FWIW I have known dozens of people who sold cherished cars because they felt they 'had' to for some external reason. It doesn't matter what that reason was--to a man, they all now deeply regret their decision to sell. They realize that there were alternative solutions they could have chosen for whatever problem was facing them. The 'easy' solution of just dumping a car to get some quick cash left a deep void in each one of them that could never be filled. So again, I'm glad you have been able to avoid putting yourself into that position.

I look forward to meeting you at the upcoming GT40 party, and (someday) getting a ride in what will have to be one of the nicest GT40s around. :)

Thanks everyone. This has been a rough time for us, but with your support and good wishes, things seem to be coming around. We have a few leads on places to live and hopefully, one of them will work out.

Thanks so much for caring
Bill

Mike Pass

Supporter
That's really really tough Bill. We all hope everything pans out OK for you and you get to keep and finish your baby. Fingers crossed for you over here.
Cheers
Mike

Bill,

I am new to the forum, but just wanted to pass on my support to you.

Kit cars are funny things, at the end of the day you could simply describe them as well organised piles of metal and fibreglass, but there is a huge amount of intangible energy and focussed attention that is poured into these projects. All builders are motivated by the vision of driving the finished product. It is the prospect of missing out on that first drive that is the killer! I hope that you are able to overcome the current bump in the road and that your beautiful GT will be around to successfully navigate its own road irregularities!

Life is long, Buddy. rockonsmile

Cheers, Gary.

Bill,
We just recieved our RCR 40 yesterday.
How much time do you have in the build up to this point?
How much time do you think do you have left?

Bill,

Sorry to hear that. As pointed out iin my pm´s to you, your build is one of the most impressive ones. Everytime i connect to GT40s first thing i check is your build site and the progress you made.
Hopefully things will clear out more and you can continue your great project.

cheers
tom

Time for an update:
We have found a place to live and the build continues, albeit delayed. The painter should be finished aligning and fitting the body in 2 weeks. When he is ready to shoot color, I'll pick up the chassis and have it powdercoated, and build it up less the body.

Bill, really sorry to hear about your problems. It has obviously been an emotional roller coaster ride for you lately, and if you had to sell up it would have been way bad, though not the end. However, I'm really glad that you've got somewhere to live, and that your build continues. Hope things are gradually on the up and up from here. We are all interested in your progress, so keep up the great job and get it on the road.

Dalton

marc

Lifetime Supporter
Congrats on moving forward Bill. I know now what it means to have a set back*. I hope you can get the moderator to close this thread out so i get to read good news stories. At least get the title changed.

*I lost my house to the wildfires in San Diego and I was so close to ordering an RCR kit.

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Marc, sorry to hear about your loss. That is a true tragedy and real reason to be depressed. I hope this thread gets locked (and buried) as well.

Back