I'm sorry,

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I haven't read every single post but do have a true story and I believe this is happening all across the country regarding unemployment and California's debt problem.

I was visiting with one of my nephews in Norcal who has 5 frigging kids at the ripe age of 26 so you know how smart he is already right??? No he is smarter than most, he gets welfare for all 5 and his wife who had a good job got laid off, so he takes care of kids and she collects unemployment and works nights. She had a job offer from her old company which had relocated 30 miles away for $21 per hour which she refused. I asked him what is she thinking in this day and time thats a good job and why didn't she take it? His response was "Why should she, she just got an extension on her unemployment", so she collects and works a a waitress bring in over $100 per night in tax free money and then collects unemployment and welfare. Wonder why CA is broke? To many liberals and its become the land of entitlements.

I don't thing the house values have increased in Mendocino county, I think there still falling according to my realtor.

Keith

No he is smarter than most, he gets welfare for all 5 and his wife who had a good job got laid off, so he takes care of kids and she collects unemployment and works nights. She had a job offer from her old company which had relocated 30 miles away for $21 per hour which she refused. I asked him what is she thinking in this day and time thats a good job and why didn't she take it? His response was "Why should she, she just got an extension on her unemployment", so she collects and works a a waitress bring in over $100 per night in tax free money and then collects unemployment and welfare. Wonder why CA is broke? To many liberals and its become the land of entitlements.
Hey Jack, that is a familiar tale in the UK but the drive against "scroungers" is increasing all the time and I'll tell you what will happen.

You have just "innocently and with the best intentions" identified Welfare thieves although I am quite sure no-one here will do anything about it. In my experience, however, she/he will get on the radar of the wrong people who will make a phone call, whether from spite or a sense of public duty, the effect will be the same. She will go to jail, he might too as an accessory, the kids will go into care and they will have to pay back every penny in welfare fraudulently claimed plus the IRS will have her sorry ass in back taxes.

If they have a house it will be seized to pay for it all and so their lives will be completely and permanently ruined.

Trust me - it WILL happen

Do you think he's so smart now? :thumbsdown:

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Keith I am not an evocate of what he is doing, believe me I am totally against it. I wish what you say could be true but in CA I am not so sure it will happen. The state in general is on the brink of collapse.

Keith

Sorry to hear that about CA Jack, and I know you're not an advocate.

Maybe 'Dirty Harry' should have been Governor - he certainly would not have tolerated these punks...

Would that have made your day? :)

Jack, I suspect the story you told is not unique and goes on far more than anyone wants to recognize.

Could it be that people keep their eyes closed because they are buying a vote?

From the AP.

Debt Commission Leaders Paint Gloomy Picture
Sunday, 11 Jul 2010 06:07 PM Article Font Size
The heads of President Barack Obama's national debt commission painted a gloomy picture Sunday as the United States struggles to get its spending under control.

Republican Alan Simpson and Democrat Erskine Bowles told a meeting of the National Governors Association that everything needs to be considered — including curtailing popular tax breaks, such as the home mortgage deduction, and instituting a financial trigger mechanism for gaining Medicare coverage.

The nation's total federal debt next year is expected to exceed $14 trillion — about $47,000 for every U.S. resident.

"This debt is like a cancer," Bowles said in a sober presentation nonetheless lightened by humorous asides between him and Simpson. "It is truly going to destroy the country from within."

Simpson said the entirety of the nation's current discretionary spending is consumed by the Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security programs.

"The rest of the federal government, including fighting two wars, homeland security, education, art, culture, you name it, veterans, the whole rest of the discretionary budget, is being financed by China and other countries," said Simpson. China alone currently holds $920 billion in U.S. IOUs.

Bowles said if the U.S. makes no changes it will be spending $2 trillion by 2020 just for interest on the national debt.

"Just think about that: All that money, going somewhere else, to create jobs and opportunity somewhere else," he said.

Simpson, the former Republican senator from Wyoming, and Bowles, the former White House chief of staff under Democratic President Bill Clinton, head an 18-member commission. It's charged with coming up with a plan by Dec. 1 to reduce the government's annual deficits to 3 percent of the national economy by 2015.

Bowles led successful 1997 talks with Republicans on a balanced budget bill that produced government surpluses the last three years Clinton was in office and the first year of Republican George W. Bush's presidency. Simpson, as the Senate's GOP whip in 1990, helped round up votes for a budget bill in which President George H.W. Bush broke his "read my lips" pledge not to raise taxes.

Despite their backgrounds, both Simpson and Bowles said they were not 100 percent confident of success this time around.

Simpson labeled the commission members "good people of deep, deep difference, knowing the possibility of the odds of success are rather harrowing to say the least."

Bowles also said Congress had to be ready to accept the commission's findings.

"What we do is not so hard to figure out; it's the political consequences of doing it that makes it really tough," he said.

Arkansas Gov. Mike Beebe was one of those leaders who sat in rapt attention during the presentation, one of the first in public by the commission leaders.

"I don't know that I ever heard a gloomier picture painted that created more hope for me," said Beebe, commending its frankness.

——

Online:

National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform

© Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This maybe not the best place to make this post, but according to Ritzholz, a BBC World Service guest commentator, so check PBS tonight, the new financial regulation bill's strongest point is to verify income and employment, which between 2003-2007 didn't exist. Ummm. I'll bet people bought houses, and had no verifiable income.

Gosh, I think I heard that before.

Back