Importing into Canada ... Again

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Send you deposit today, the GT40 "R" is no problem to enter Canada as it is a "Race or Display" vehicle that is not for use on public roads. The "R" order form includes a disclaimer and buyers agreement that he car is not intended for street use. We can supply a GT40 "R" for Canada.

Now if you manage to get it on the street, that is between you and your karma! Seriously, we have some buyers in Canada looking at the "R".

Yes I'm sure as race only designation almost anything can get in to Canada. I'm more interested in having a street legal GT40 that I can use here in NV and then take in to Canada on return at some point. And yes titling and registering a GT40 'R' here in NV would not be a big undertaking. however, getting any assembled GT40 into Canada (not withstanding the 15 yr age rule) sounds almost impossible, yet it would appear from Simon's post he managed to do just that.

Send you deposit today, the GT40 "R" is no problem to enter Canada as it is a "Race or Display" vehicle that is not for use on public roads. The "R" order form includes a disclaimer and buyers agreement that he car is not intended for street use. We can supply a GT40 "R" for Canada.

Now if you manage to get it on the street, that is between you and your karma! Seriously, we have some buyers in Canada looking at the "R".

If you import it as an 'R', then there's nothing stopped you from registering it on the street though? - since the vehicle doesn't have a VIN, there's nothing tying that R form to it when you goto the DMV :huh:

It would seem to me the only possible repercussion is if you get in an accident and the insurance company researches it and sees it should never have been on the road in the first place, then denies your claim.

If you import it as an 'R', then there's nothing stopped you from registering it on the street though? - since the vehicle doesn't have a VIN, there's nothing tying that R form to it when you goto the DMV :huh:

I am pretty sure that would constitute some sort of "fraud" as far as Canada Customs is concerned. I think they get you to sign something when you import a "R" stating it will never be used on public roads, but I'm not sure about the paperwork anymore.....tis been a long time since I looked into that.

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I think you are correct. It will probably be clearly stated on the very same paperwork that you are required to surrender when the vehicle is titled in Canada if the vehicle if for off-road use only. And with the tight noise restrictions at tracks these days, it could end up a very expensive garage decoration if you can't drive it on the street as well.

As far as bringing "starter" kits into Canada, TC makes it clear that as long as none of the running systems (suspension, driveline, steering, wiring) are included, the importer is bringing in automotive parts and is not subject to the kit-car prohibition. But still, you need to have either a smart or a stupid border customs agent and my experience has been that they are neither, but usually just nasty. When I brought my GTD into Canada I had a letter from TC approving the vehicle (15 year rule) and a nice, intelligent customs agent (there is always one somewhere).

It was worth the effort however.

Good luck!

Mark

I've tried to wrap my head around this issue for over 5 years and I have pretty much given up on providing any advise regarding the importation into Canada. Ultimately, you are on your own unless someone/company wants to hold your hand throughout the entire process from point A to Z or provide you with instructions to do so.

Race cars are just that - so if you can find an agency to insure the car for road use (AKA meet all your provincial MTO safety requirements) then good on ya, otherwise lap time will be all the car gets.

Chris

Chris,
There is Classic Car Insurance (Whetter, Oaklin Ins) in Lindsay(1-800-590-3269) and Emmerson in Port Perry (1-800-387-5642) These guys had booths at the car show down at the lake in the summer. It may be wise to talk to them. The guys in Lindsay may be the best to talk to. Insurance for Antiques,Classics,Rods & Customs
Dave

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Thinking aloud here

If you brought it in for race and display and the race element was preorganised rally would that fit the bill?

You would then need to organise rallies through your club that just happened to coincide with your trips

IAn

Thinking aloud here

If you brought it in for race and display and the race element was preorganised rally would that fit the bill?

You would then need to organise rallies through your club that just happened to coincide with your trips

IAn

Even better - can you say that you're participating in a rally with random traffic whenever you want to go out for a cruise (oops, sorry, I meant when you want to go out for a rally with random traffic) :laugh:

Back