intro and confirming budget for SLC build

Hi All,
New member here strongly considering an RCR SLC build. Since the car caught my eye on GEARZ, I've been obsessively researching this forum site, ebay and others trying to collect some information. In short, I'm smitten.

Last time I was so enamored, I ended up building a high-powered, light weight early, wide-body (1971) 911. I'm proud of the effort. It ended up being featured in Excellence magazine after my first iteration. I'm on Generation 2 since adding more power(271 rwhp 3.6L), better brakes (4 pot brembos), LSD and updated the chassis. The sale of this car would offset some of my build costs.

From that project, I realize these cars are never done and would apply a similar approach to an SLC build. I'd build in stages.

Initially I'd plan to polish the gelcoat, maybe do some simple stripes and just drive it. For interior, I'd insulate, use the A/C and install a very basic carpet kit. I'd expect to use the car for limited street driving and 3 or 4 track days / year (DEs).

Anyhow, is this budget practical to get me to a completed road-legal vehicle?
What am I missing?
What are approximate insurance costs?
Maybe more importantly: Where could I save some $?

1. shipping (car and engine / trans)
  2. Kit
  3. exhaust
  4. Engine LS3 crate (480 to 525 hp)
  5. ECU
  6. TYRES
  7. TRANSAXLE* G.96.50 w/ OEM LSD
  8. Flywheel, starter, clutch + PP from Kennedy
  9. FUEL SYSTEM, PUMPS AND LINES
  10. MISC.*NUTS BOLTS
  11. HEAT SHIELD/SOUND PROOF
  12. Basic interior
  13. Registration, licensing, tax
  14. Total
does anyone else have their itemized build budget to share (privately would be much appreciated, too).

Thank you very much,

Doug

Doug,

thats a pretty nice looking package of parts....

Other than going with a lesser transaxle and engine package ther is not much you can trim the budget on...

One of the most important parts to budget for is the transaxle and as such its not a place to skimp on....buying a transaxle that has some headroom for future engine upgrades is always the best idea and the G96/50 and G97/50 units are a great way to go...slick shift feel and lots of "headroom"...

I guess I missed an accusump or A.R.E dry sump too.
That's either 500 or 3000, I think?
Item 13 kills me, nut that's unavoidable to drive this thing.
I also missed an accessory drive package for the ls engine? Another 2500?

Doug

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I can not belive that the registration is 7500! I think is outrageous... I am afraid to ask how much will be in California

In CA the bulk of what you pay for initial registration is "use tax" on the value of the car established by adding up the parts cost and estimating the value of your labor (yes, you pay tax on your own labor for which you got no money). When I did this for my GT40 I wrote a check for about $10K to register a $105K-valued vehicle. So 10% is a good rule of thumb.

(Doug -- I live in Encinitas too (for about another two weeks))

What am I missing?
What are approximate insurance costs?
Maybe more importantly: Where could I save some $?

American National, ANPAC insurance runs me around $950/year with "agreed upon value" ins. Dont go Geico or State Farm.

You can find z-06 or vette take off exhaust for $200- 400, then cut a few j-bends, tig and save alot on the exhaust. A little tedious cutitng though. In texas, i paid $62 tax because it a kit.

otherwise your numbers are pretty accuarate. unless you have an eye for "Billet" or carbon fiber bling....

I also missed an accessory drive package for the ls engine? Another 2500?

i think its aorund $740 w/o a/c, low mount altenator. Tip, you can use the power steering pump your last pulley and stay stock. Just pull out the impellers and fill with oil. then you can buy stock belts and dont have to worry about a new tensioner/pulley scheme.

Hi All-
thank you for the replies.

Alan,
I'm sure you are busy with your move. If you have a few minutes, I'd love to see the GT40 you built! I'll send a direct message to you.

Cam,
Does some flavor of the stock LS accessory drive work with A/C? I'd intend to install and use A/C. Is the front lift necessary for clearing speed bumps? good idea on the exhaust. I do TIG, reasonably proficiently. Thank you for the tips!

Doug

Thanks again to everyone for their input!!

REVISED BUDGET - It is growing.:uneasy:

Do I need the front end lift to clear normal speed bumps?
How much of the interior kit do I need?
Does the 44k kit come with a dash and door cards?

1. shipping (car and engine / trans)
  2. Kit
  3. exhaust
  4. Engine LS3 crate (480 to 525 hp)
  5. ECU
  6. TYRES
  7. TRANSAXLE* G.96.50 w/ OEM LSD
  8. Flywheel, starter, clutch + PP from Kennedy
  9. FUEL SYSTEM, PUMPS AND LINES
  10. MISC.*NUTS BOLTS
  11. front end Lift 1800
  12. accessory drive 800
  13. accusump 500
  14. HEAT SHIELD/SOUND PROOF
  15. Basic interior
  16. Registration, licensing, tax
  17. Total

Doug, the LS water pump inlet/outlet can be modified too. Simply pull/cut the tubes, reposition and TIG them back together. Saves a few $$. I believe that RCR has the
air con compressor bracket available (check with Fran). I used a Katech tensioner, an idler, modified alternator bracket (needed a small spacer) and did my own LS 3 waterpump (on my LS1) mod for under $200.

Cam,
Does some flavor of the stock LS accessory drive work with A/C? I'd intend to install and use A/C. Is the front lift necessary for clearing speed bumps?

Yes, the flyhwheel has slots for the serpitine and a separate a/c belt. i found a 38.6" a/c belt worked best.

I dont have the lift kit. i can make it over small to medium speed bumps. I can go places my neighbor with a saleen mustang cant. if i see a med large to extra large, I'll pull up sideways slow, then pull a 180 if it starts to scrape. this happend maybe 3x in 4400 miles.

I think your transport $ might be a bit high. I've seen half that $2500 quoted but my #'s may be dated. you're on the conservative/high side but better safe then sorry for the Calf. guys.

Cam,
Does some flavor of the stock LS accessory drive work with A/C? I'd intend to install and use A/C. Is the front lift necessary for clearing speed bumps?

Yes, the flyhwheel has slots for the serpitine and a separate a/c belt. i found a 38.6" a/c belt worked best.

I dont have the lift kit. i can make it over small to medium speed bumps. I can go places my neighbor with a saleen mustang cant. if i see a med large to extra large, I'll pull up sideways slow, then pull a 180 if it starts to scrape. this happend maybe 3x in 4400 miles.

I think your transport $ might be a bit high. I've seen half that $2500 quoted but my #'s may be dated. you're on the conservative/high side but better safe then sorry for the Calf. guys.

Cam,
Do you have a picture of your accessory drive setup?

On the $2500 shipping, I was thinking to get the car to my garage and also engine / trans. It might look like $1800 + $350 + $350.

Maybe I could do without the suspension lift.

I have a feeling I'm still under-shooting something budget-wise, still. Probably because every project seems to find a way to go over budget.

Thank you,

Doug

Doug, the LS water pump inlet/outlet can be modified too. Simply pull/cut the tubes, reposition and TIG them back together. Saves a few $$. I believe that RCR has the
air con compressor bracket available (check with Fran). I used a Katech tensioner, an idler, modified alternator bracket (needed a small spacer) and did my own LS 3 waterpump (on my LS1) mod for under $200.

Molleur,
Sounds like you did a nice job!

Do you have a picture of your modified water pump? How about of your accessory setup before the install?
thank you,

Doug

On the $2500 shipping, I was thinking to get the car to my garage and also engine / trans. It might look like $1800 + $350 + $350. I think mine ran $1100, + $160, + tranny thru fran. but that was '09

I have a feeling I'm still under-shooting something budget-wise, still. Probably because every project seems to find a way to go over budget.
Gotach, mine didnt run that much but i didnt have that $7500 tax for CA

Attachments

• flex filler.JPG
    flex filler.JPG
    267.7 KB · Views: 717
  • front dress.JPG
    front dress.JPG
    248.1 KB · Views: 791
  • exh2.jpg
    exh2.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 874
Hi Cam,
Appreciate the pictures!

Are you using an accusump or dry sump? Or not doing many track days?
Which idler is the katech?
Is that a CAT behind the LS9 manifold in the third picture?

Doug

Howard Jones

Supporter
If you are up in the Bay Area drop in and you can look at mine and drink a beer or two. Maybe Mesa will come over and "help".

If you are up in the Bay Area drop in and you can look at mine and drink a beer or two. Maybe Mesa will come over and "help".

Hi Howard,
AWESOME! Thank you for the invite - I will bring the beers :D . I get up that way regularly for work and with family. Often work is only day trips, though.

My wife and I moved from San Jose / Los Gatos 9 years ago.

Will keep you posted.

Doug

Hi All,
does anyone else have their itemized build budget to share (privately would be much appreciated, too).

Doug (et al), here is what I have started based on lots of lurking, data mining, and a preliminary exploration into the feasibility of making it fit my budget. (Not looking good for me anytime soon, BTW). I'm providing here for anyone to provide constructive feedback or comments; however, I know building such a sweet car is very much according to ones individual tastes, skill-level, and own personal budget. This is sort of how I would do it given the realities of my situation. The "yellow highlighted" fields are still very much unknown to me and subject to future refinement as I learn more.

Disclaimer: This is just a dream-sheet...not from an actual build. I would be very curious to see someone's actual build though for comparison and refinement of my own plan.

-Harold

Attachments

• RCR SL-C Dream-Sheet (Pre-Build - HBJ).xls
    73.5 KB · Views: 643
Well, This thread is crushing my dreams.... I was honestly shooting for a 65 to 70K total build with a G50 and LS376. I've poked around the idea of a subaru STI drivetrain as well just for grins and giggles and cost savings, but the idea of the LS is most appealing to me. Vraptor speedworks will build a turn key SLC $98,800
Turn-key Price Examples so I always felt my target for owner build was do-able... After speaking with Fran a while back, he also felt my proposed budget was within reach... Now I am starting to wonder.

There is a reason why we sell the SL-C in smaller stages...

it enables guys to buy in at a lower entry point....and do it over time.

There are a couple of items that are high IMHO on Dougs list...shipping, exhaust , you can take almost 2k out for the LSD in the transaxle for a street car, lift kit not essential..as Cam says...

There is a big chunck of tax on Doug list too...that differs from State to State and are you paying tax on the kit or the whole build?

Back