intro and confirming budget for SLC build

There is a reason why we sell the SL-C in smaller stages...

it enables guys to buy in at a lower entry point....and do it over time.

There are a couple of items that are high IMHO on Dougs list...shipping, exhaust , you can take almost 2k out for the LSD in the transaxle for a street car, lift kit not essential..as Cam says...

There is a big chunck of tax on Doug list too...that differs from State to State and are you paying tax on the kit or the whole build?

Hi Fran,
Thanks for chiming in!

I built a revised budget which dropped some of the costs a bit (on exhaust for example). Did you see the second one?

Under SB100 or (any) other titling scheme, California requires all of the receipts to be tallied. I've even heard of some builders accounting for their hours at some rate and incorporating that into the cost of the vehicle. Imagine paying taxes on your own free labor??

In short, they view it as entire completed vehicle cost upon which taxes would be due. BS if you ask me, but still a real cost. Unless $44k includes sales taxes, which can then be deducted from those due to CA at the time of registration? :laugh:

I sincerely hope I'm not discouraging anyone from building this awesome car! It is truly an incredible package.

Still, I'm glad my figures are a little high - that is encouraging! Maybe I'll adjust a bit. Still, I know there are always little things to spend extra $ on that add up quickly!

Doug

Hi Cam,
Appreciate the pictures!

Are you using an accusump or dry sump? Or not doing many track days?
Which idler is the katech?
Is that a CAT behind the LS9 manifold in the third picture?

No accu sump, stock ls376 oil pan. I run it 1/2 quart high +zddp. i've done 5 or 6 track days with it.

No idler, thats the stock chevy power steering pump from the accy kit with the impeller fins removed. Then you can use the stock belt.

those are standard z06 take of manifolds, collectors, cats. I turned the collectors up with a few parts from 2 j-bends into magnaflow glass packs.

The sound is awesome even with cats an no x-pipe.

Attachments

• P1241406.JPG
    P1241406.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 330
  • P1201393.JPG
    P1201393.JPG
    186.5 KB · Views: 353
I am pretty sure you can do it if you are a real handy guy and can do all the work yourself and it sounds like you are, if your patient and keep your eyes peeled for the deals. Build it very simple and upgrade when you have the money, it is possible
and Kraft dinner and Wiener soup is pretty good with ketchup lol.
Cheers,
Grant

How much of the interior kit do I need? Maybe a better question: does the 44k kit come with a dash and door cards?

Without tax and registration in CA, this isn't much beyond $70k.

REVISED BUDGET 3

1. shipping (car and engine / trans)
  2. Kit
  3. exhaust
  4. Engine LS3 crate (480 to 525 hp)
  5. ECU
  6. TYRES
  7. TRANSAXLE* G.96.50 w/ OEM LSD
  8. Flywheel, starter, clutch + PP from Kennedy
  9. FUEL SYSTEM, PUMPS AND LINES
  10. MISC.*NUTS BOLTS
  11. front end Lift removed
  12. accessory drive 800
  13. accusump 500
  14. HEAT SHIELD/SOUND PROOF
  15. Basic interior
  16. Registration, licensing, tax
  17. Total

The DP kit includes dash, rocker trim panels and inner roof...the interior of the doors is already a smooth black gelcoat finish...similar to the exterior and many guys do not install the door cards...period.

Well I can say this for sure... never had the pleasure of working with so many great guys on a forum. I've had 3 personal emails with resonable budgets from guys that have already built..... I have a burn to build this car, I just have to increase my savings focus and keep my eye on the prize. Thanks to a great community of car guys.
Jim

So this budget has caught my interest and this build seems to require less time than the GT40. Is this correct?

Based on the revised Budget 3 would this version be close for street car in AZ.
AZ Street Car - BUDGET 1
1. shipping (car and engine / trans) 1600
2. Kit 44000
3. exhaust 600
4. Engine LS3 crate (480 to 525 hp) 6500
5. ECU 995
6. TYRES 1600
7. TRANSAXLE* G.96.50 w/ OEM LSD 9600
8. Flywheel, starter, clutch + PP from Kennedy 1750
9. FUEL SYSTEM, PUMPS AND LINES 700
10. MISC.*NUTS BOLTS 500
11. accessory drive 800
12. accusump 500
13. HEAT SHIELD/SOUND PROOF 350
14. Basic interior 1000
15. AZ Registration, licensing, tax 1300
16. Total 71995

So this budget has caught my interest and this build seems to require less time than the GT40. Is this correct?

AZ Street Car - BUDGET 1
1. shipping (car and engine / trans) 1600
2. Kit 44000
3. exhaust 600
4. Engine LS3 crate (480 to 525 hp) 6500
5. ECU 995
6. TYRES 1600
7. TRANSAXLE* G.96.50 w/ OEM LSD 9600
8. Flywheel, starter, clutch + PP from Kennedy 1750
9. FUEL SYSTEM, PUMPS AND LINES 700
10. MISC.*NUTS BOLTS 500
11. accessory drive 800
12. accusump 500
13. HEAT SHIELD/SOUND PROOF 350
14. Basic interior 1000
15. AZ Registration, licensing, tax 1300
16. Total 71995

At first glance:

I wonder if you are a little optimistic on the fuel system if you are using high quality AN lines, swirl pot, and 2 pumps.

...accusump AN fittings, coolers w/AN fittings, AC hoses, misc tools?

Building on a budget is no fun. Shit breaks, shit gets expensive. Just don't look at the total and build as you go, it's the best way to do it :)

Fran,

Here in Kalifornia, you pay tax on everything, including your labor.

You don't have to pay tax on things twice, but you present a binder full of receipts to the DMV and then turn around and bend over.

Of course, if you can afford a car like this, you've probably been violated by the state in many other ways, so you should be used to it. :)

A buddy of mine (my machinist) is doing a SB-100 right now on a Devin. He designed & built the frame himself. When he went to the DMV he showed the invoices for materials, engine, body etc. They never asked or added anything about labor. In fact they took a couple of grand off his estamate of cost. I could be wrong but I don't believe straight labor is non-taxable.
Mike S

Oh I just remembered. A very good friend who was (now passed) a super custom car painter. He'd have the customers buy their own paint & materials & he didn't have to charge (& keep track of) taxes.
Mike S.

16. Total 71995

I apologize in advance if I accidentally hi-jack Doug's original thread, but my intent is to give this topic a bump and keep it growing.

Chris,

Those numbers are about what I am hearing, also. Depending how much of DIY-er you are, I am thinking that number could creep-upwards though. Where are you located in AZ? This looks like the exact sort of build I am dreaming about with the exception of the transaxle; I'm hoping the Griffin box is widely available by the time I actually build. If you beat me to the build (and assuming you are in the Phoenix-metro), just know that I would be willing to provide free labor when I can just to see how it all goes together. I wish I could say I was a master mechanic or whatever, but I've been hot-rodding for most of my life and know how to do most stuff the hard-way by now. :uneasy:

Harold
Phx, AZ

Last edited:
Harold,
I live in Mesa. Right now I am in the research and planning phase. I was toying with the idea of the GT40 or a FFR 65, then the SLC caught my eye.

Chris

Back