James' GT-Forté scratch build GT40 MkI

Got the central area of the middle section cut and laid out ready for tacking up...

Attachments

• IMG_9225.JPG
    IMG_9225.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 524
Got that welded up and now moving on to the right fuel sponson area...

Attachments

• IMG_9250.JPG
    IMG_9250.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG_9248.JPG
    IMG_9248.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 626
I've been thinking about how I'll do my exhaust - I want to go for the 180 degree arrangement. Does this look about right? I've avoided having the cylinders closest the front of the engine having to swap collectors and the cylinders which do swap sides go to the nearest side of the collector - so hopefully packaging should be slightly less difficult. (The collectors are viewed from the engine looking rearwards).

Does the ordering look ok?

Attachments

• Audi 4.2 V8 180 degree headers.jpg
    Audi 4.2 V8 180 degree headers.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 1,432
A quick google throws up this

4_2-v8.jpg

Which seems (once you reverse the rotation) to be identical.

So it's going to be different to the to the SBF and 1UZ-FE then (see below)?
I wonder how different it will sound?

X represents the flywheel end of the engine

1UZ-FE

1 2
3 4
5 6
7 8
X

Firing Order 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2
Firing Order (Ford Cylinder numbering) 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

Audi ABZ

5 1
6 2
7 3
8 4
X

Firing Order 1-5-4-8-6-3-7-2

SBF

5 1
6 2
7 3
8 4
X

Firing Order 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

Thanks David. Think I prefer the thought of the rotations in the collectors going in opposite directions, rather than the same way as in that pic. Not that I think it would make that much difference...

Not sure about the different firing orders. As long as it's 180° I can't see how changing the firing order would make a difference?

Here we go, inner Audi Rzeppa type CV joints (the manual suggests some A4's also used tripod types), cheapest I've found them, they're for the 98-01 S4 which uses the 'DSY' 01E and has 260hp/295lb-ft (195kW/400Nm) so should be ok for decent amounts of power/torque. I've a slight unknown as I know Audi changed the flange PCD at some point but I think the 01E's are all the same.

AUDI S4 INNER CV JOINT (BRAND NEW) 98>01 - J & R Trading (UK) Ltd Store
No connection with them and no idea how good they are but a 2 year warranty on them would suggest they're not total rubbish.

As a follow up, these are not the right ones, at least they're wrong for my 01E anyway.

Too small, I'm not sure if it's that Audi used a different PCD on the earlier 01E boxes or they're just wrong full stop. Either way those ones won't work and I'm pretty sure the one you listed above won't either as I believe they are 130mm not 100mm (and to confuse matters further I believe there is a 108mm size Audi do too)

CarParts4Less don't list them for the Superb (which was my donor) but I'll have a look through the gearbox spreadsheet see if I can find one from an Audi.

Ah, OK. We've got the same size then. Think tripodic cv joints are what were originally fitted. There's some info here - looks like they are hard to get though.

An alternative may be to use a different cv joint with an adaptor. Although this would shorten the shaft lengths and increase the angles a little.

I've received my custom flywheel today. Nice and shiney, seems a pity to hide it away in a gearbox!

Attachments

• IMG_9278.JPG
    IMG_9278.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 479
  • IMG_9279.JPG
    IMG_9279.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_9281.JPG
    IMG_9281.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 499
Ooooh, shiny shiny!
Who did you get that from? (I need to get one made up at some point)

Ouch, maybe I should re-consider, make up an adapter and either re-use the granada ones or the S4 ones then. On the plus side making up an adapter means can equalise the driveshafts (the 01E flange spacing is asymmetric).

My clutch arrived today (Audi RS4 240mm). It fits the flywheel nicely, phew!

Attachments

• IMG_9311.JPG
    IMG_9311.JPG
    194.6 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_9312.JPG
    IMG_9312.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 486
I've been giving the engine some thought recently, in particular how I'm going to control it. I'm planning individual throttle bodies, so I'll definitely need to go with a standalone ECU. At the minute I'm leaning towards Megasquirt and probably MS3 so I can run fully sequential fuel and spark. I like the idea that I can build the Megasquirt myself. Looking over on MegaSquirt Engine Management Systems it sounds like an oscilloscope would be pretty handy for checking sensors / outputs etc. I've managed to get an analogue scope locally for a reasonable price. Also got an electronics book so I can brush up on Ohms law etc - it's been a little while since I did this at school!

Attachments

• IMG_9337.JPG
    IMG_9337.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_9339.JPG
    IMG_9339.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 325
I've fabricated a metal folder / bending brake to bend the metal for the suspension U-brackets. I got to use the lathe for the first time (for turning down the internal hinge tube), which was good.

1 down, 19 U-brackets to go!

Attachments

• IMG_9420.JPG
    IMG_9420.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 465
  • IMG_9422.JPG
    IMG_9422.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_9424.JPG
    IMG_9424.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 401
I've fabricated a metal folder / bending brake to bend the metal for the suspension U-brackets. I got to use the lathe for the first time (for turning down the internal hinge tube), which was good.

1 down, 19 U-brackets to go!

Making a bending brake was the very first thing I did for my project. Has really come in handy for the aluminum body panels. You will probably need a wider version of it for those though. I think Darren said it needed to be over 40". Could measure mine if you like but I think the widest part you need to bend is the rear bulkhead as I recall. Not easy to do on mine as I used 6061-T6 and a bit thicker than he called for.

Hi Darrin. Yep, I've made a folder which is 1m wide too, so that will get used quite a bit when it comes to the panels. The little one is much stronger / rigid for bending the U-brackets. It's surprising how strong 3mm plate is!

Back