Jay's build log

I have not posted for a while, I had to make the choice between build log or wife. She didn't really like the 10hrs a day in the garage and then coming inside and writing about it. Regardless I have been driving my street legal SLC for 1 week now. First day had all thee alignment, camber and ride height done. And the rest of the week just drove the s#&t out of it. Still doing some tweeking on the shifter linkage and spent the day retightening brake lines and fuel fittings also a little leakage from the tranny drain plug. Pretty amazing driving a car you have spent all this time and money and the whole year you have no idea what this car is like to drive. It's worth the wait! It's everything you want it to be( if what you want is a street legal race car). I still have to seal the cabin a bit better, it gets pretty damn hot in there. And once everything is 100% I am going to get it vinyl wrapped. I will be posting some pics soon, it's just so much more fun to drive then photograph.

Jay you need to change the radiator hose clamps to a heavier duty clamp it will keep you from chasing leaks, use the type that the clamp goes around the hose with the full metal band then clamps, I got them at MSC. Another area you need to address is where the radiator hose comes into the front compartment I made a tube to weave through from the end of the pipe running through the rocker box into the front area this will keep you from having a rubbing problem from bouncing against the floor of the car and the bulkhead. Also I have had several fuel system problems, run a 40 filter before any of the pumps from the fuel tank and the 10 after the pressure pump. I also located the regulator after it ran through the fuel rails. I had to go back to the pressure pump manufacturer for help, we burned up 1 transfer pump and 2 pressure pumps before we got it the way it is now we also put on custom fuel rails which I like it much better they get fuel to all the cylinders more even between them.

Excellent advice Bob. Placement of the right filters and the regulator is really important to keep the fuel pumps happy. Wayne went one step further with the coolant tubes. He made them up as described by Bob and used exhaust wrap for insulation, and further protected them in exposed areas with some very heavy duty heat shrink tubing from McMaster-Carr. It looks the business and the tubing is very well protected.
Guy's, please use Tee clamps. Protects the hose, and will not leak or come loose.

yes this is mine parked in front of my work. trying to use it as a daily driver but still needs a bunch of insulating before i take it on long trips. car is crazy fast and i get my picture taken more than angelina jolie. I had the windows in but find it much better just driving with them completely off, and I will be getting it vinyl wrapped over the winter.

Can you use it as a daily driver? I know my insurance company specified if I use any of my kit cars for 'regular' stuff (e.g., shopping, going to work, etc...) ... basically anything other than going cruising or getting gas .... my coverage is void.

Look awesome! Which seats are those? Curious to know as they don't look stock and I know there aren't too many seats out there that fit well.

Jay, I noticed you did a side exit exhaust. How loud is it. I'm curious because currently looking at exhaust options, exits etc. If you have any engine bay photos of the exhaust system and set-up it would be appreciated.

Thx, Mike SLC- under construction

I'll try to answer all the questions. All the heat is coming from the radiator, I have the coolant lines wrapped in titanium header wrap and you can literally hold on to them with engine up to temp, I am looking at fabricating something that will direct the air up and over the cabin. I know Toby had made one for his SLC and it looked factory. The seats I have are a recaro knock off I got at a place in toronto called J-spec racing, $500 for the pair and very comfortable and reclinable, one thing I would suggest is to not blow the budget on seats as you need to slide down them to get in and they will probably wear fast. Insurance, I went with my regular broker and had to go into facility insurance(high risk market). $3600/year with the option to take it off during the winter, expensive but I can drive it where and when I want. I do not have A/C in the car as I have only recieved 1/2 of my A/C parts, probably be a winter project.

$3600/year with the option to take it off during the winter, expensive but I can drive it where and when I want. .

holy crap that's expensive!

I'm paying $400/yr, 15,000miles/yr, $100k value, only restriction is that I can't use it for "normal" activities (e.g., go to work, go shopping, etc...)

Seriously, buy a beater car like a Gallardo at those prices! :stunned:

Michael Fling

Supporter
Re: Where is cabin heat coming from?

Is the heat coming from the radiator in front, coolant lines on the sides, or from the engine compartment?

In addition up upgraded fans, here is my answer:

IMG_8639.jpg

IMG_8644.jpg

Back