Jensen Racing - I hate Chevys!

Ron Earp

Admin
Well, I had to put organizations on there that actually contribute money TO the car, not drain money away! :)

I did have some GT40s.com magnets I printed up but they flew off the 260Z on the track.

Ron Earp

Admin
The Jensen is back and running pretty good!

She has a fresh motor and that pretty strong and a host of monitoring gauges that we should have had in the first place - EGTs, in dash fuel pressure (already one under hood), oil warning light at 15psi so you don't have to hawk gauges full time, as well as a Traqmate GPS laptimer/recorder for data analysis.

Also added a MSD adjustable timing computer because the 907s are hard to fiddle with timing on the dyno - takes many minutes just to chang timing, as well as a blueprinted dizzy as we were losing 5-8 degrees of timing with the old piece and getting a lot of spark scatter. New dizzy works wonders and really cleaned up the idle and revving.

We're still sorting out the bugs on fueling though as I'm really rich on pulls and need to get my jets right as well as figure out what the hell the cold circuits are doing on the Strombergs. And no, I can't change them out for other carbs, I have to use "stock" Strombergs per class rules. But with 1.75" twin Strombergs you can't convince me that a 2L 4 pot can't be well feed through these things to 7k RPM, despite what the Jensen Healey community thinks.

We're getting close! Other improvements involve some good brake ducts, tender straps to hold the rear spings in, and some additional oil cooling and water cooling. Looking forward to doing something with this car for 2007, even if it is oiling down another race track.

R

Attachments

• dash.JPG
    dash.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 223
Good job Ron,

It's looking good, and as a Jensen owner I'm needing you to feed my ownership ego with many class wins. Guessing you had Judson fix all the "low oil" problems from last year?

Ron Earp

Admin
Judson did a good job on the motor, but, he did a good job the first time too. I had an accusump on it when it went south the first time, but, I didn't react in time to the loss of oil pressure. When the oil adapter blew off the pump damn quickly pumped out the oil from the sump, and, because it was the adapter and how we had the accusump plumbed the accusump pushed 3 qts out lickey split too. 6-7 quarts of oil on the straight and about a 30 minute cleanup. I felt bad, and felt worse when they sent a $140 bill for all the oil dry.

Now the accusump is plumbed to the main gallery like it should be and we've got good fittings throughout. Hot oil pressure, and I mean hot, doesn't drop below about 25 psi at idle which is damn good for a 9XX motor. At 2500 RPM we'll get 50psi at least even when toasty. My old Lotus Esprit routinely got down to 10-15psi at 185F and lower when hotter at idle. On the dyno we have good oil temp, cool water temps in the 170F range even with long steady pulls, and oil temp in the 180F range or a tad higher. I like what we have now and feel we're safe.

I hope we can do some winning with the car, but we're far behind on the development and there is a lot of tough competition in the class. The Jensen can do okay in the open production rules enviroment that leans toward old British iron, but in a modern class like ITS it is a tough road to hoe because the rules set is not nearly as open. But, we're down the road and here we go!!!! I'll keep you posted and thanks for posting, it is good to know there are fellow Jensen folks around.

Ron

That is some amazing oil pressure. My first JH was in 1977 (73 model) with about 22k miles and my current one is a 74 with a freshened motor about 15k ago. Neither one has/had oil pressure better than 15-20 psi warm at idle. Your doing all the good there.

Back