Jimmymac & Alistair's Cars

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
re: Jimmymac & Alistair's Cars

James -
Thanks to you and Roy for the hospitality yesterday and the guided tour for Helen and me.
I was so impressed with what I saw in front of me yesterday I nearly ordered the fourth monocoque there and then. Of the various mono's I've seen in the last few years, I think Ray is now up to speed with the various nuances of the 40 mono and in my opinion is probably making the best monocoque around bar none. The next time Henry Atherton is home from France, I'll find time to bring him down to Dorset and give you his opinion. (It was Henry who built the Safir tubs in High Wycombe, and did some work on the Jim Rosenthals tub en route from NZ to the USA).
Thank you again
Dave M

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

Well thank you David for taking the detour to spend some time with us.
It is always gratifying to get one more opinion as I know that you have been around these monocoques for a long time.
Henry and your goodself are most welcome any time of the day.

Cordially,

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

Look's Good James.
Too bad it's not here. I would like to run it through the chemwash. Put a couple of drainage holes in the floorpan and run it throught the ELPO Phosphate dip. From there it would go through a three stage bake. It would be annealed in the same process. It would come out a light olive green colour. Just prime, paint and assemble.
Dave

Dave,
You have got me thinking.
I have now decided to prime my chassis by electrophoresis here in the UK.
Shortly, the chassis will be chemically cleaned, etched then dip coated with zinc phosphate and a subsequent primer coat.

He is an original chassis recently done at the works.

Attachments

• ELECTROPHORESIS COAT & PRIMED.jpg
    ELECTROPHORESIS COAT & PRIMED.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 1,285
Last edited:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter

That's right, he worked on my chassis at Adams-McCall when it was in the UK. Wish I'd met all the folks that my car has met :) nice bunch of people.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

My chassis complete and ready for shipping to the electro-finishing plant.

Attachments

• Complete 001.jpg
    Complete 001.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 1,006
  • Complete 002.jpg
    Complete 002.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 886
  • Complete 003.jpg
    Complete 003.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 927
  • Complete 004.jpg
    Complete 004.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 957
  • Complete 006.jpg
    Complete 006.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 987
  • Complete 005.jpg
    Complete 005.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 918

Aye Jim,
A wee bit of fine work there. Pm me after the dip. I will be your process Engineer. I will give you a few tips to use to save you from various problems that can arise before you start painting. Sealer, mocaps etc.
Dave

Jimmy, do you know who made the key fob or is there anything on the it that would it indicate who did.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

Thank you guys.
If Carlsberg made car builders then Ray would be one of them.

Cordially,

Hi jim and ray

pleased to see that all the hard work has paid off.

Good work guys

Regards

Chris.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

Well the chassis was delivered this morning fitted to an excellent build table which greatly assisted in the RO-RO from the low loader.
I have decided to drill all the fixing holes and fit self clinching nuts before it goes for coating. Hopefully I will get the majority of them. I am checking off my list of parts and making a hole schedule along with a fastener MTO from the JW Automotive parts list and the drawings.
The wiring and plumbing layouts might take a while to coordinate but I won't be rushing in for the sake of it.

Attachments

• gt40 007.jpg
    gt40 007.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 946

James,
Congratulations! Beautiful piece of art..
Now the long road of planning and execution really begins.
Have fun!

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter

James, you need a smaller room in which to work on the car. You've got altogether too much space wasted around it :)

Hi James

congratulations for the coming home of your pride and joy.
looks great. Enjoy the build

TOM

Back