Le Mans Classic 2008 11-12-13th July 2008

Mike Pass

Supporter
A few pics of some of the GT40 race cars in the paddock area.
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• Claude Nahum Mk2.jpg
    Claude Nahum Mk2.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 348
  • LMCl08 GT40 paddock2W.jpg
    LMCl08 GT40 paddock2W.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 315
  • LMCl08 GT40 paddock3W.jpg
    LMCl08 GT40 paddock3W.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 320
  • GT40 paddock line upW.jpg
    GT40 paddock line upW.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 323
  • LMCl08 GT40 paddock4W.jpg
    LMCl08 GT40 paddock4W.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 325

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
As stated above, may I add my appreciation and thanks to all those involved in organising and running the Classic on behalf of the Enthusiasts club. This was our first BBQ, and although we didnt stay very late, it was thoroughly enjoyable and must have taken considerable effort. Special thanks are due to Roy for being the front (hit) man for everything and every problem that could assail him. Roll on 2010.

To all who worked on this wonderfull event and especially to Roy : A SPLENDID HAPPENING, MANY THANKS !

I really enjoyed the weekend and could finally put some faces to all these famous GT40 guys on the web.

See you in 2010

PS: I also met Claude Nuan who was really accessible and enjoyed sharing his experience with his wondeerfull car.

Fred
Fred

Malcolm

Supporter
Have to echo the above and say many thanks to all who made this trip happen. Unbelievable amounts of hard work put in by the looks of things, especially Roy. Historically as an outsider to EC events, thanks to all members who made me feel most welcome. And I was most relieved when I got home to see that my on board video system worked as it should for once!

I was able to wangle a press pass, and stayed awake for 36 hours straight, shooting 2000+ photos. Many of them sucked. :rolleyes:

However, even the blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then, and when you shoot over 2000 photos you're bound to come up with some winners.

Here's the first of what will be many photos I'll post here:

CobraGT40LeMansClassic.jpg

This was taken at dusk on Saturday, leaning over the guardrail at the exit of the Dunlop Curves.

Much more later, including photos taken on-track during the morning drive-around laps, photos in the pits, and photos taken from places where the public is prohibited. I actually took a shuttle bus to the Mulsanne corner at about 4:00 a.m., but on the inside of the track, not the outside. I then walked all the way back, hugging the guardrail and laughing out loud as the cars would come whistling past at speeds approaching 200 mph. I was at Indianapolis/Arnage as the morning broke, then slowly walked down to the Porsche curves, and went back and forth between the first curve and the straight leading from Arnage. In the afternoon I continued, and finally finished the day leaning out over the pit wall.

Like I said, more photos to follow. I flew from Paris to Chicago to San Francisco today, and with no open seats in the back of the airplane, I had to sit in the cockpit jumpseat, which is basically like a wooden park bench with a cloth cover.

But the price was right! :thumbsup:

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Once again Mike you created the ultimate jealously. One time I would like to be in your shoes doing something like that, good for you dude.

Could I also thank everybody - some people obviously worked very hard - especially the BBQ. I met some very nice, friendly people. What I particularly enjoyed was that there was no 'snobbishness' or cliques between different marques. It was all car men/women together having a good time. It was nice to see the Jensen owners driving side by side taking their families out for a pleasant Sunday drive down the Mulsanne straight. I may be ever so slightly biased but every where we went the GT40's seem to be the biggest crowd puller - even in Manchester at night after a 14 hour drive home, there were still people hanging out of car windows urging me to floor it.

Dave Collins

Supporter
What an amazing event.

Many thanks to Roy for organising on behalf of the EC and to everyone else who worked hard to put on the Saturday evening barbecue.

Where else these days do you get the chance to see 15 original cars in one place, and be able to have a close look at them for inspiration.

Dave

Hi Mike , did you get your camping arrangements sorted in the end?
However it looks like you did not use the camp site much!

Yes, it was all sorted brilliantly, although it was very complicated, as people from Spain, England and etc. all had to return their camping passes and then new ones were issued. JT did a great job handling the problem, thanks in no small part to your help in the matter. I do hope that in the future their website will mention that camping slots are now assigned, so people can work to book together if they plan to camp together.

Sadly, we were in Maison Blanche and it seems the GT40 club must have been in the other campsite? I never managed to make it over to the campsite to say hello. By coincidence I did get to ride as a passenger in a Pantera during the morning track laps when the GT40s were on track, and we mixed it up with quite a few of them (and I managed to get some good photos of a few, when not being flung forward, back or sideways by my rather hooliganish chauffeur!) If any of you saw a red Pantera with flared wheel arches, gold wheels and a bloody great wing, that was me with the camera.... :rolleyes2:

Like everyone else, I would like to thank Roy for all his hard work putting together a great weekend at the classic.

On another subject I would like help with tying up owners to the cars that I took photos off for the club database of cars.

The registration numbers are:

ADY596D
40RM19
OGT040
54CEX44
2RAL
V8OMY
489DZT92
263BCH83
40CFH44
DOGT40
MEGT40H
SU0791
SUGT49H
HSKLX1
UNMK49

Anyone that can help please send an email to the GT40 Enthusiasts club or post the details

Thanks

thanks for your appreciation guys, I had a lot of help from many of our members in organising this event, without whose help it would not have been such a success, special thanks to Ian O'reilly for all his work procuring the food and freezers and delivering it to France safely and for transporting the BBQ's and marquee, Ian's wife Jackie for spending so much time cooking and freezing the 'Chile', Ben and Guss for setting up, Chris and John Beattie, Julian Zaremba, Brian and Pam Magee and Ian Anderson for manning the Barbeques, Shona Finnan for whipping us all into shape on saturday evening (no chance of slacking when Shona's on the food prearation), Jane Edwards, Jill Edwards and Jan Jasper for assisting in the food prep and serving, Tim Martin and his wife for sorting the tickets, Brian Magee for printing them, thanks to all those who attended, took their cars out on the circuit and once again raised the profile of a great club.
Roy

Hi guys, I wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped us at the classic. We would have struggled without you, loading/unloading the 40, erecting/dismantling the tent, waiting for us so we didnt get lost etc etc. Most of all thanks to Richard for encouraging me to go in the first place. It was every bit as good as I was told it would be. The only downside was the odd obstructive French official (awkward b**t**d). It didnt spoil what was a great event though, catching up with friends and making new ones. It`s a great atmosphere and the noise the 917`s and co were making on full chat was just awsome. "Racing is life" the man said and who`d argue?
Cheers guys, Kev Farrington

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
My history
Visited LMC 2006 and managed to blag a seat for the parade laps with Charles - first time in a 40 and on the circuit
2008 my car was ready but ripped out a drive shaft before the trip - I was devistated.

This year
A week before water pump failed, loads of work done and got things together.

Indicator relay failed before I got on the ferry - switched the emergency light unit and had intermittant indicators in the rain soaked trip - seems like the switch is also failing.

Other than that the car went well and I had offered the spare seat to Roy (for the laps) as a thank you for all his organising.

He declined and John quickly took up the offer and had his first laps on the circuit. Scary stuff when it all tails back in a crner and you end up in first gear to get moving again!

But I too echo the thanks to Roy for all the work, but also thanks to Paul who built my car, thanks to Ian O'Reilly for transporting how many tonnes of stuff down for the BBQ and bringing a team with him who cooked, chopped etc to feed over 200 people, thanks to John and Christine for cooking, hell I still feel like a passenger and taker from this wonderful group of people - even though I do what I can to assist.

Hell I still fill up just thinking I have driven the circuit in my dream car. How much better can it get!

Some pics from my collection - queue for ferry, selection of 40s, scene of some of the 3500 people camping at karting Nord group of club cats and black and white - the 2 cars Paul assembled

So thanks again to everyone

Ian

Attachments

• DSCF1666.jpg
    DSCF1666.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 282
  • DSCF1671.jpg
    DSCF1671.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 280
  • DSCF1717.jpg
    DSCF1717.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 272
  • DSCF1737.jpg
    DSCF1737.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 287
  • DSCF1749.jpg
    DSCF1749.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 290
  • DSCF1740.jpg
    DSCF1740.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
Here's another photo, shot looking up towards Arnage from the kink leading into the Porsche Curves, at the start of the final race for Plateau 4 on Sunday afternoon....

GT40sDownFromArnage.jpg

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Fantastic photos Mike and Ian (your second last shot Ian looks like it came from the late 60's early 70s!) and great Video Malcolm, that got the heart pumping. It looks like the ultimate event and you all lived the dream......
I doubt I will ever drive my car there (although I can dream can't I?), but maybe one day I may be able to attend and meet you all and experience a little of what you have.

Cheers and thanks

Bill H

Back