Least Expensive Way to Make 1000 HP

Howard Jones

Supporter
Ok I'll bite. 2 Hp per inch is a fairly reliable number. I mean the engine would be fairly reliable. Something in the neighborhood of several hours I would guess. The thing is, honest question here, really. If the engine will make 1KHP then what would be the ave Hp produced over it's lifespan between rebuilds. If we use a 80% factor then the engine will spend a lot of time at the top end of it's rev range like a road race car. Above 90% and then we are a circle track car.

So 500 CI 7000RPM motor on race gas should get you 800-1KHP for something like 4-6 hours between maintenance. Kinda like a NA CANAM engine only bigger and turned a bit slower. Best guess on cost of parts would be something on the order of 20-25K$. Labor would be about the same cost so lets call it 40-50K$. If you can do the assembly you can save about 1/2 of the labor cost.

Now if we can run the engine at a much lower number, power factor wise, say 20%, then a smaller motor with a turbo would be better, 327-331 CI ish pumped to 3 bar would just about do it. Sort of a street motor that gets flogged only once in a while with some time to cool off between floggings. Variable boost with a timing/fuel management map selection would be my preference. The electronics will get expensive as will all the custom pluming, turbo's, intercoolers etc. But if you can make things yourself you can save a lot of money.

You are still going to spend more than the NA version would be my guess.

There isn't really anyway to do this cheap unless its just a 1 time dyno queen.

Noticed on the news stand today in Car Craft mag a 1000 hp artical. Didn't read it but scaned part of the artical. Was talking about LS blocks and how the aluminum ones wouldn't work and they were using the iron blocks. Looks like some info for those thinking those kinds of numbers. The title was something like Easy 1000 hp or something like that.

Bill

Back