Lexan attachment

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
I'm not sure what you did, but if you go to www.mcmastercarr.com and then do a search in the left side search box with the phrase

nylon machine screws

You should see page 2926 in the right side. You can also get to them by entering 2926 in the 'page' box on the upper right (may have to search for somthing for it to appear).

HTH

Sandy

Guys, you really don't want to tap directly into the body since the hole will strip the next time. I installed helicoils and used 6/32 countersunk SS machine thread screws for all the plastic. As mentioned it's necessary to remove/replace the pieces to clean and wax painted areas underneath. I didn't want to use rivnuts that expand in the body and possibly crack paint, etc. The helicoils can be installed to just below the surface and are not visible with the covers on. I've not had any become loose and have run the screws in and out many times. I did not use it, but 3M makes closed-cell foam tape in various widths that could be used as a seal. Tighten screws to just hold the piece on, otherwise they will dimple and warp over time.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Much the same as Mark, I used 4mm dia / 10mm long s/s c/s bolts to hold all the perspex panels in - all mounted into helicoils in the f/glass.

Just before installing the helicoils, I wetted the newly tapped threads in the glass with a tiny dab of urethane clear paint (POR-15 Clear) to seal the raw glass against moisture & to help glue the helicoils in place.

I have seen the results of moisture getting into raw f/glass where self-tapers had been used on my Vette - not pretty - even in areas where there were no consequential cracks from the water-weakened glass, each hole had to be ground out to about 2" & re-glassed.

I have had the panels off & on a number of times, & the only problem I have had is with one helicoil for the aly vent panel on the rear clip directly above the exhaust system.

(The fact that I ran the car for a couple of kms with 2 cyls missing & got the CAT on that side to glow red hot might just have had something to do with that) !!

With all the ins & outs, I have managed to split the rear window from the c/s bolt hole to the edge in one place. On reflection, if I was doing it all again, I would not do c/s holes in the perspex - I would use flat pan-head bolts to avoid the tendency of the c/s ones to split the perspex when tightened down.

The only downside of using helicoils that I can see is the fact that the bolts tend to loosen up after a while. I haven't resorted to thread-lock as I suspect that this might provide a stronger bond between the bolt & the helicoil than that between the helicoil & the f/glass. So all I do is check the bolts every month or so - finger tight, & usually less than a 1/4 turn is enough.

For the seal under the edges of the perspex panels, I used a very soft self-adhesive closed-cell foam (about 1/2" wide), stuck to the f/glass lip in the edge of the recess for the panels, & with holes punched for the bolts.

I have now done this twice ! The first time, I just laid down the foam & bolted the panels in place. Problem : when it came time to remove a panel or two, I found that in most places, the foam stuck to the perspex better than its adhesive stuck to the f/glass lip ! (particularly with the heat around the rear clip). The net result was that the foam was not re-usable & it was a bitch to get off.

The next installation involved meticulously cleaning the f/glass lip, laying down the self-adhesive foam, then running a good coat of silicon spray (applied with a clean cloth) over the top of the foam. I was a bit worried that the silicon might squeeze out when the panels were tightened down - but no, not a hint of it. (I guess that is because the closed-cell foam doesn't absorb anything). The net result this time was that I can now R&R the panels with no problems at all.

If you lay the foam tape down nice and accurately, then use the silicon, the finished effect is almost indistinguishable from a perspex panel that has been painted with satin black under the edges (& a whole lot less trouble).

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

[ QUOTE ]
The only downside of using helicoils that I can see is the fact that the bolts tend to loosen up after a while. I haven't resorted to thread-lock as I suspect that this might provide a stronger bond between the bolt & the helicoil than that between the helicoil & the f/glass. So all I do is check the bolts every month or so - finger tight, & usually less than a 1/4 turn is enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are screw-lock helical inserts available. I haven't used them, so don't know if they would solve this problem, but someone may want to give them a try. Find them at mcmaster.com Still, the issue would be if the locking force is greater than or less than the strength of the bond to the f/g...

[ QUOTE ]
Screw-lock inserts put a self-locking pressure on the bolt, so you don't need other threadlocking devices. They're impact and vibration resistant and are dyed red for easy identification.

[/ QUOTE ]

Back