Lucas Flick Switches

Kalun, I am not the best at wiring but you could try Ron Francis Wiring with an e-mail you will probably find out from them what is best . These people are in my thoughts THE BEST and will work with you. Just mail them your particulars on your wiring and I am sure you will get a great answer. the Best ,Kevin {just as long they think you will buy a harness from them)

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Ok I'm going to respond to Kalun's question with a back to basics approach so all those that think,I knew that! and I think a lot of people will be in that group,please don't think I'm patronising you.
Firstly- A fuse is used to protect the following circuit and the supplying circuit from excessive current caused by failing equipment,shorts in wiring,etc.The Idea is the fuse blows and Isolates the circuit it supplies allowing the remaining electrical systems to function normally and hopefully
minimize further damage to the protected circuit.
So how do we know what size fuse is required? Well we have to find out how much current the circuit
draws, this can be measured,read off a diagram or a reasonable guess.With this current established we select a fuse with a current rating at least a bit higher to allow for normal operation and turn on surge.I would not hesitate to use a 10A fuse in a circuit that draws 5A.
Relay coils don't draw much current so you could fit a common 10A fuse that supplies power to all switches controlling relays or individually fuse,it's your choice.I'm not sure if the current rating
Kalun has given with his circuits is a current draw or relay contact rating, I suspect the latter as 30A would be a large current draw for an EFI system.Check wiring diagrams from the manufacturers for fuse ratings and use these when able to.
When combining loads the fuse rating should be higher than the sum of current.when combining like this you lose individual protection.
Finally it is possible to read a blown fuse.If the wire is melted with a gap in the wire I would suspect an overload occurred and you can fit a new fuse.If the fuse is very black looking and worse,
copper coloured, a short has occurred and I would check the circuit before wasting another fuse.
Lesson over for now
Ross

Back