Mk 1 Halibrand wheels

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
I'm about to order a set of aluminium one piece halibrand wheels for my car. I have found a supplier for mag wheels but as the car will be mostly road use I preferr the aluminium.

I am using 15" x 8" front and 15" x 10" rear, 6 pin on 4.25" PCD.

so.... what offset do I need?

I have ordered read upright/hubs assembly/ solid discs (pre 66 car) any help would be appreciated as I need to get a rear rim to the upright supplier to ensure correct fit.

Thanks in advance

Hi Doc,

The offset for the rears would depend a lot on the rear bodywork that you intend to use.

I can't help with the dimensions as all the BRM wheels that I had have long since gone and I only have Borrani's now

Regards,

Rune

Supporter
My BRM 8" have 100mm from backface and out to the rim(Back) 10" have 95mm if that help you .If needed i can supply a picture.

Rune

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Probably not much help Andy, but my Halibrand styles wheels are: front wheels are 8.5 x 15" with 3" backspace. Rears are 12 x 15" with 5 1/8" backspace. Standard width front clip. MKII rear clip with 171 cm between the inside lip of the wheel arch on each side.

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
Many thanks guys, I have sorted the wheels.... but????

Anybody know the spec for the gold paint on original cars?

Andy

Hi Andy,

The originals on the Mk.II's weren't painted gold, that was effectively the natural finish of the magnesium I believe. Don't ask me why they appeared bronze rather than silver as I can't remember the reason now.

Have a look at 1046 as it is now to get a feel for the colour used these days.

Regards,

Brian Stewart
Supporter
I took lots of pictures of 1046 at the Le Mans Classic back in 2006 and then spent ages searching for a gold that looked reasonably close to 1046's wheels. Finally settled on Maya Gold Metallic, a Landrover colour with the code GAN. It's not exact, but I am very pleased with the result. Take a look at my build thread for a picture, although the picture doesn't show the colour terribly well. Maybe go to a local auto paint shop and ask to see a swatch.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Hi Andy,

The originals on the Mk.II's weren't painted gold, that was effectively the natural finish of the magnesium I believe. Don't ask me why they appeared bronze rather than silver as I can't remember the reason now.

Have a look at 1046 as it is now to get a feel for the colour used these days.

Regards,

The gold color comes from the DOW coating that was applied to prevent the magnesium from corroding and powering as it will do when exposed to moisture and atmosphere.

Brian Stewart
Supporter
1046 wheel.

Attachments

• 1046 Wheel.jpg
    1046 Wheel.jpg
    410.4 KB · Views: 295
DOW 7

There are lots of smaller aerospace shops that still have the capability to do DOW 7, due to the fact that a lot of helicopter parts (main & tail gearboxes, wheels, various controls etc.) are mag castings.

Just in case the need arises :)

Back