MK 4 PHOTO

Who ever made this car went to a lot of trouble

gt40mk42.jpg

Chris

If it was an original, and was sold as a

replica, as advertised... WOW! What a steal!

That would be like finding a Rembrandt under

a Picasso. Both nice, but the hidden artwork

certainly worth a lot more.

Bill

Hi Bill

This is the reply on the MK4 I bet thats a carcraft gearbox and not a Chriscraft gearbox.

Dear sir,

This is an exact recreation. It has a chevy engine and a chriscraft gearbox.
Price of car is 61000euro.

If you need more information, you can always contact me.

Best regards,

R. de Biolley

Sorry that's Kar Kraft T44 4 speed gearbox.

Chassis No J4 spent 3 years in storage in Belgium between 1980 and 1983 Then went to the USA.

Chris

Hi Bill

This is the other car for sale Chassis 111
acording to Ronnie Spain after a crash at the Targa Florio, the car was crashed into a ditch by Bob Bondurant. Then it was taken to Slough UK and was striped of all usable parts. Then it was cut up and scrapped.!!!

Here is the e-mail reply about the car.

Deat sir,

Thank you for your mail. Price of car is 247000euro. Car was born as Spyder
after burning in South-Africa Johannesburg car is coming back in Europe and
rebuild in MK1 closed car. Car has drived Targa Florio, went to a owner in
France and then in Spain.
Car is in very good condition.

If you need some more informations, you can always contact me.

Best regards,

R. de Biolley

fordgt401.jpg

Chris,

I just read something about #111 being
rebuilt after the fire. Seems to me that
the restoration and subsequent sale were
quite recent. I'll be damned if I can remember where I read it. Must be Old
Timer's disease again! It wasn't on the Belgian guy's site. Did he quote a price?

Bill

The tranny is not T44. T44 has different linkage and bellhousing bolt pattern. W/4 bolt narrow attachment you hardly can transmit +500hp to the ground...
However, I do not know what the heck it is. It has pressure lubrication, and casting is somewhat poor, porose.
Therefore I assume it is European prototype of something. Also Tranny carries original casted brackets for inboard brake calipers...
Sorry, no t44.

My pure assumption is Italian old Lancia or Alfa, Maybe Colotti box. (Do not mix w/ early GT 40 Colotti tranny) Colotti was also used on heavier Italian family cars.

Brake discs are ridiculously small. 1 pot small brake calipers.

The car drives. Owner claimed he took it out in Zolder circuit, more like touring laps. Current radiator will definately not handle more W/long piping and so small diam.hoses, also radiator is from a Family car.

It is a good project with correct body measurements. Needs serious cash to complete w/aluminum sandwich chassis, T44, wheels, hubs, brakes, and of course "THE SIDE OILER"

Any of our american friends know side oilers for sale? Pricing??
Around here they are more rare than chicken´s teeth...Almost easier to find Hemi...But mopar boys never did GT40´s...

Jukka

That claimed 111 looks correct to me.
But as you said, only Ronnie could possibly tell.
Price is cheap, and it has some recent competition history. The car has been (hard) driven.

You know, these burnt, cutted, scrapped, disappeared ones could have several lives, by combining some parts.This car has recent french history.

But however, nobody else in my opinion has ever claimed 111. Could be a bargain, boys. If somebody talks to Ronnie, let me know. Then I will rob the bank.

(By the way, one GT40 owner once REALLY robbed a bank to get one. I believe I read it somewhere in Ronnie Spain´s book...)

Jukka

Hi Bill and Jukka

The Mk 4 price 61000 euros = $53070 = £37373
Inbord disc trans may be Citron?
Would like to get a mold (mould) from that body.

The Mk1 price 247000 euros = $214890 =£151330
Good price for a MK1

Chris

Folks,
I just bought my car at Mr de Biolley place (last Nov) and both cars where next to myne.
If you want more info let me know.
I saw both cars and they look immaculate.
First one was indead (as per Mr de Biolley) ceased by US customs at entry in US (it was not an orginal)but looks great.
Second one is said as being original Chassis 111.Looking at what happened with this car (accident in Italy at the time) and what I saw in the garage I must confess there is a bigg gap.

Fred

G

MkIV replicas were produced by a firm in or around Nevada whom I visited about 8-9 years ago. I have a photo (somewhere) which, to the best of my recollection, is identical to the MkIV shown here. I was impressed by the running gear and that a chev engine was fitted (having been financially crucified racing my modified GTD with Ford engines which regularly blew - changed to Chev and no problems whatsoever afterward, sorry, I agree about historical correctness, but not at my repeated expense). It appears to be the same replica car.

G

According to the shelby american world registry, 111 would be an "air car". It was originally a prototype and was finally scrapped in 65. This registry was published in 87. Would be interested in knowing what a current registry shows.

Bob,

Did this replica have brakes for sunday driving? And VDO instruments?

Any other info would interest, also a pic if you find one.

Sorry, but chev did not do that well in Lola T70...

Best regards

Chris et al,

www.classiccars.com lists the history of
all of the GT40 chassis' built, including
recent history of #111.
The site also lists an AMGT40 & an XGT40.
Any knowledge of these chassis?

Bill

[ January 28, 2002: Message edited by: Bill Bayard ]

Thank's Bill

Thought I'd post the details here for chassis 111.
Still have to check with Ronnie Spain.

04/65 : Le Mans Trials, 7, Whitmore - 05/65 : Targa Florio, 194, Whitmore/Bondurant, DNF - In the good book of Ronnie Spain, he says that the car was may be apparently scrapped, but in the same book p. 33, we see the car coming back from the Targa Florio with very small damage (radiator still in place and the wheels are straight). In the good video from Targa Florio 65 (you still can buy it), we see the small accident of the car. This original car was found in South Africa in 1990, modified as a coupe (like other spider). We saw the car in Germany in 1998.

G

Le Mans - I'm looking for the photo but having contacted the vendor in Belgium this is not the same car; apparently it was built in Italy. One I saw in Nevada was fully rosejointed with substancial uprights, 4 pot calipers, big vented discs and a 50-50 box - quite unlike the Belgian example.

"Sorry, but chev did not do that well in Lola T70..." ! My memory must be playing tricks ... could have sworn they cleaned up both in Europe and in the CanAm from 1966 in the T70 Spyder with Chevrolet power as the Ford engines had regularly popped.

G

Play nice boys!
I think there's a grain of truth in both
stories. From what I read, the small block
Chevy was not reliable enough to win
races in the T-70. It was stressed too high
to get the HP they needed.

So they did the smart thing and dropped in
all aluminum BIG block Chevies! That did the
trick!

Regarding Ford small block reliability,
there has been SO MUCH development in the
past 10 years thanks to the Mustang/5.0
market, that today you can build a small
block Ford with reliability/HP to any
Chevy small block...at very similar cost.

So if you are building a GT40 today, there
is no technical/financial reason to choose
a Chevy. Cobra replicas that appear with
Chevy engines at shows in the US are now
stripped and burned by the crowd.

MikeD

G

Hi Mike, quite right, a lot of 'tongue in cheek' from me I hasten to add. I gave up on Ford engines in 1993 purely because I couldn't continue to race if one popped again. My T70 MkII spyder re-creation has a small block 500bhp iron chev which I'll be campaigning this season (shan't tell you if it pops!).

Back