MK1 Replica... is this fine to do?

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
Hi

I noticed that the Mk1 replica GT40s have fixed side windows with a little square thing for some air...

Can windup windows be put instead so its more a road car with that crazy performance?

Also, those side windows, are they glass or that hard plastic stuff? If its hard plastic stuff, can it be made same just with the ability to wind the window up or down, thus keeping weight down without going to real glass?

Thanks

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
I see it but I dont get it...

Explain?

Im thinking like the 2005 GT. Just 1 piece of glass that winds up and down like any normal car... no triangle window infront... all just 1 piece.

And is the side windows of the replica glass or that lighter clear plastic stuff?

George,
Why? It wouldn't be a GT40 with wind up windows, radios and so on.
We are trying to recreate the racing car of the 1960s.
If you want modern luxuries, including in this case wind up windows, get a modern car.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
We are trying to recreate the racing car of the 1960s.

Tony speaks for the entire community. I thought I was building "a road car with that crazy performance" so I guess I need to go out to the garage and scrap the whole thing. :stunned:

George -- the windows are plexiglass or perspex or Lexan or acrylic... all terms for various kinds of clear plastic.

I have no doubt that it's possible to make the windows slide up and down. However, I don't know of anyone who has done it. Since in the replicas the windows are simply screwed to the outside of the door, one would have to design and create tracks for the windows to slide in and a mechanism for moving them up and down and to support it in any intermediate position. Furthermore, the windows themselves are taller than the "body" of the door and so would not disappear entirely, although that is hardly a show-stopper.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Perhaps look at the early British Leyland Mini.

They had sliding windoes (noved front and back along dounle tracks

That would work on a GT40 and allow about half the window area to be open at any time

Ian

I see it but I dont get it...

Explain?

Im thinking like the 2005 GT. Just 1 piece of glass that winds up and down like any normal car... no triangle window infront... all just 1 piece.

And is the side windows of the replica glass or that lighter clear plastic stuff?

You might want to look at the 2005/6 Ford GT again. The side windows are two pieces - a triangle in front, and a rectangle main part. Also, compare the Ford GT with the GT40 and note the difference in the angles. The 2005/6 Ford GT has a smaller angle when compared to the door axis, making up for the difference with a more curved piece of glass. The greater angle of the GT40 makes it more difficult slide the window down. It most likely be done, since the doors are so wide, but it is still rather difficult.

Ian

ah something like this what someone mentioned

GT40SligingWindow.jpg

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/superformance-gt40s/34629-window-slider-option-gt40.html

or this shape

Ford_GT40_l.jpg

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
Thanks for that

Well, im not after all the luxuries (I own a 68 muscle car), Im more than happy without air-conditioning etc... I always liked to simply 'open' the window for that nice cruise through the mountains feel... But i stll like the race like feel inside the car... this is why I thought to just change one thing on the GT40 and thats the window... slide up n down I get that cruise feel in summer with the air yet still being a race car.

Going a 2005GT would c ost alot more... still be a larger wheelbase, still be a worse performing car than the GT40 would be... this is why Im happier to go with the GT40, just wanted to allow the windows to be normal for that cruise feel since no Air-con.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
slide up n down I get that cruise feel in summer with the air yet still being a race car..

One thing to keep in mind is that since the window is simply screwed to the door from the outside, it is extremely fast to remove it. Probably 2 minutes per window.

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
And that means on a summer day I can simply unscrew them and go for a cruise with them off considering I never have my glass half open, for me its either all the way down or closed... Could also take them with me incase weather changes and screw them back on (kinda like a T-Top car)

That sounds plausible... has a little window on side for air on cloudy day and if its beautiful day Can take the entire thing off.

Cool.

Thanks!

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
And that means on a summer day I can simply unscrew them and go for a cruise with them off

You can see the screws in the picture above; there are about 25 and they are (probably) very small slotted flat-head self-tapping or sheet metal screws directly into the fiberglas. If you remove and replace the window very often you would want to change to philips head or allen-head screws, and put in thread inserts to protect the fiberglass from wear. There is a thread on this elsewhere and it's not something to worry about now. But if you do that and use a power screwdriver you can probably take a windows off in 30 seconds.

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
WOuld the same concept work if I made the GT40 a Carbon Fibre body? Meaning screwing into CF.

Carbon fibre is stronger and lighter than Fibreglass...

Is that something available or not?

that "how about this dashboard" name came with the link, its absolutely not my taste :D I like the more "original" classic style.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
And that means on a summer day I can simply unscrew them and go for a cruise with them off considering I never have my glass half open, for me its either all the way down or closed... Could also take them with me incase weather changes and screw them back on (kinda like a T-Top car)

That sounds plausible... has a little window on side for air on cloudy day and if its beautiful day Can take the entire thing off.

Cool.

Thanks!

Have done that and it is a car that you get very little buffeting inside - up to about 110mph.
But have you ever seen one of these cars?
Where do you think you would store the window while driving? Ther is no space unless you have no passenger and lay it / them on the passenger seat

Leave the windows in and duct some free flowing air into the cockpit - at anything over 20mph you have plenty airflow (up to 30 degree outside temp - after that you will get hot even with a window out

Ian

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
ah something like this what someone mentioned

I have something similar on mine - see photo (not very good quality, but only one I could find right now). Not sure where they came from, or if one of the previous owners had them made specially.

Max

Attachments

• Window Slider.JPG
    Window Slider.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 451
Back