Monterey Historics

Well, we went sans the GT but had a good time anyway.
We were at the Event at the Quaile on friday, which was fun but extremely pricy, the track on saturday and home via hiway 1 on sunday.
I too have finally reached my limits on Monterey, it just cost crazy money and as much as I love cars I probably won't go back until my Indy car is done and I can be driving instead of spectating.
I was dissapointed in that there were very few Indy/Champ, Formula cars in attendance this year, and only one GT40.
I did see Lee Patterson and Kevin, who has a black SPF Mk II and of course Mike Drew and his buddy from ol' Blighty.
Randy Grubb (CAV GT40) was there was there with his latest creation, the "Pissed Off Pete", an amazing mechanical contrivance that set off every car alarm at the Baja Grill!
You had to be there!
Dave

Want to see something amazing?

Mike (Mike Drew) I found the pictures of my old Pantera we have discussed, it was the oldest one known. What was my serial number? I really don't remember! I will scan and send to you. He can drive all the VW he wants, he is a walking talking car encyclopedia.

I beg to differ. I'm not an encyclopedia on cars in general, but I do know an awful lot about a tiny, miniscule segment of the automobile landscape--De Tomasos specifically, and to a much lesser extent, Shelbys, Cobras and GT40s.

As for your car, the VIN on your Pantera, the fifth one built and oldest known car still in circulation, was/is THPNLK01006 (the first Pantera was #1001). It was built in February 1971.

Your car was one of a handful of preproduction prototypes that were sent to the USA to have all the DOT/EPA compliance testing done, by an outfit called Ogden Laboratories, in Orange County (CA). Records show it was to be crash-tested, but it's rather apparent that another car suffered that fate (and BTW it failed miserably, which is why the chassis was redesigned and subsequent cars passed with flying colors).

Afterwards your car went back to Italy where De Tomaso sold it to a fellow who had some questionable business practices; these practices resulted in him (and the car) being thoroughly ventilated by submachine gun fire in 1979.

The car was sold in an estate sale in '82 to a US Army Colonel stationed in Germany. He brought it back to the USA in '84, had it restored, and then you bought it in '89. You had it a few years and then sold it to Bill Borello in Houston, who re-restored it. He then sold it to somebody (unknown to me) in Florida, where presumably it still resides.

Supposedly #1001 is still in Italy, owned by the widow of Aurelio Bertocchi, who was the chief engineer for De Tomaso and Maserati (after Dallara left De Tomaso in 1973). Bertocchi kept the Pantera prototype and drove it occasionally, until his untimely death in a De Tomaso Deauville, being (badly) test-driven by a potential customer, in 1985. It was then parked and has been sitting in her garage ever since....

...but then that's probably more than you wanted to know. :laugh:

Returning to the general thread of the Monterey Historics--I was at the wrap-up ceremony for the drivers on Sunday afternoon. The Monterey Cup (which is the Grand Prize if you will, at the Historic Races, for the car best representing the spirit of the event) went to a friend of mine, Richard Clark, who nominally lives in Monaco but spends most of his time in Essex, England. He was driving the cream-and-blue '52 Porsche 356, which was also displayed at Pebble Beach. That car was prepared for the '53 La Carrera race in Mexico, and broke down on the last day just short of the finish. It was then shoved into a barn in Mexico where it sat totally untouched until Richard bought it about three years ago. It was mechanically refreshed, but otherwise untouched, and is now racing all over the world (Le Mans, various UK events, Monterey, Lime Rock etc.) wearing its original race livery.

Truly a spectacular car with a wonderful and genuine 'barn car' story behind it.

I don't know squat about Porsches--but I know about this car only because I know Richard, through Andy Prill, the guy who looks after it for him. :thumbsup:

This thread isn't worth squat without photos. Come on boys, there must have been something at Monterey worth posting. Cars, car chics, something, it's Wednesday already, put something up besides three or four Scirocos of which only one made the trip!
:furious: :laugh::laugh:

You guys shouldnt pick on Mr Drew so much....take a look, a few other guys showed up with thier VWs too :D

PS Sorry, all my pics from friday (the only day I was there) are too big to post.

Attachments

• 100_1948b.jpg
    100_1948b.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 289
I got a bunch of photos and HD video - I will post up in the next day or so. What a treat seeing S/N 1075 there - I almost collapsed. I think I might have seen all of the Le Mans winning GT40s in the last month - someone pinch me!

Back