More details of the new "Ford GT"

So Ford has decided to call this car the "Ford GT," huh? Well, they tried that last time but everybody called it the GT40 due to its height.

Therefore, in keeping with tradition, I suggest we begin calling it the GT44 to distinguish it from our beloved GT40s. Spread the word.

grin.gif

[ October 18, 2002: Message edited by: Mark Worthington ]

For sale on ebay :

2004 Ferrari : Ford GT
NEW Ford GT-40! Be The First to Have One! Item # 1871052005

I love this quote from today's FT

"Ford is too strapped for cash to pay $ 40 m for the rights to the GT40 name from a small spares company in Cincinnati."

Who are they ?

If anyone in the UK is seriously considering buying a new GT40 in the future, or has a car registered new after 1990, you may be interested in buying the registration number
G14 OGT

With a little bit of (illegal) spacing, this would read
GT 40 GT

If you are interested, please contact me.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by josvdp:
For sale on ebay :

2004 Ferrari : Ford GT
NEW Ford GT-40! Be The First to Have One! Item # 1871052005
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The auction has me asking some questions: I heard that the first Ford GT was given to a Ford exective. I read in AutoWeek, that the first three GT's were being saved for the 100th Ford anniversary. So, what is the firm actually selling?

He's selling the first car that his local dealer in Canada gets - if I was Ford I'd be very worried at the low premium

He is selling his first spot in line to place an order not the car. You would still have to pay for the car when it becomes available.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Flashing Yellow Light....

He is selling the "delivery posistion" for a deposit he placed with a dealer.......said dealer MAY or MAY NOT get a "Ford GT".

Many people have placed deposits with Ford dealers who do not yet know if they will be allocated a car! Not all dealers will get a car, first full year production (pegged at about 1000 units for 2004) will go to dealers who meet criteria, balance of the cars per year will be awarded to dealers by a lottery. with over 4000 Ford dealers and a proposed total production of 3000 units....well you do the math.

Moral? Don't pay anything until you know there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow when there may not be pot or even a rainbow.

Rick
shocked.gif

Hey guys,
what you define as a Ford GT and what Ford defines as a Ford GT are in fact 2 different things.
Just visit Ford Australias website Press Releaseand Picture
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

So if you want a Ford GT, just go and buy one in Australia.
wink.gif

Maybe the american Ford guys don't talk to the australian Ford guys?
At least they share the same engine.
Maybe they call now everything with the 5.4L engine a GT?
wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>But Safir's $40 million bombshell - a figure provided by a Ford source and confirmed by Wood as the starting point for the negotiations - was the beginning of the end.

This is from the article in josvdp's last post. I think this name game is a shame. I can see wanting some money for the rights, but $40 million? I don't blame Ford for walking. I thought it was cool that the concept car was labeled a GT40. I want the new car to be Ford's vision like the original and not meddled with by outsiders. I feel that the continuence of the legend has been robbed.

The word is "Greed" and as Michael Douglas
said in the movie "Wallstreet"....
"greed is good".

I would have settled for $ 20 Million, since
I'm only half as greedy.

MikeDD

When did we quit associating greed with car companies? I quess the real question is what did Ford get for the name when they gave it up. After, all nobody twisted their arm. You think maybe they just wanted the money? It would be nice if they could carry on - so why not the Ford GT Lemans. Oops pontiac has that one.

Back