More USA political questions

Keith

To be honest when I saw the news this morning I was shocked, I mean it sounded really bad. There were only a couple of lines on the BBC news online which was delightfully vague and I don't tend to believe anything I read anyway, hence the question.

There was no intention of lighting any fuse.

Can none if you guys talk about anything without screaming at each other these days.? Where's it all going to end?

Sorry if it was wrong...I've now officially lost interest in US politics for sure.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
The reason there were only a couple of lines on the BBC news is most likely due to the fact that the US Govenment was shut on Monday, four days ago.

You did not hear about this here, because the usual suspects who always yell and scream about anything the Government does have remained completely quiet, I wonder why?

A small group of Republican tea party hacks (the extremists that Obama mentioned) have ignored the leaders of the Republican Party.

They also ignored the American people, over 75% say they do not want the Gov shutdown over the AHCA.

Republican leaders, McCain and Boehner told these morons not to do this, they told them this was not a fight that they could possibly win, they told them that this would only hurt the Republican Party.....

That made no difference to these selfish, Stupid Party extremist, they have shut down the Government and Republicans will pay!

Last edited:

Keith

Republican leaders, McCain and Boehner told these morons not to do this, they told them this was not a fight that they could possibly win, they told them that this would only hurt the Republican Party.....

That made no difference to these selfish, Stupid Party extremist, they have shut down the Government and Republicans will pay!

Right, thanks - that's as close as I'm going to get, so it's this Tea Party thing again, and that weird Sarah Palin right?

I do not agree with your assertion that only "Republicans will pay" as it seem to have arrived at the stage (well actually, I think you all arrived here a long time ago) when it's not a particular group who "will pay" it's the entire US nation! Self flagellation.

This sounds like someone has pushed the self destruct button and all the noises we can hear is the orchestra playing the last hurrah.

The sane World NEEDS the USA in good fettle, you, as a nation, have taken on the mantle of Defender of The Free World and have an objective a little higher than running around in the schoolyard calling each other names.

For Christ sake, cross the floor and get jawing!

Or, well, the alternative I wouldn't want to contemplate.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Excellent weather we're having here. Late Indian summer, STILL warm, dry, good for driving cars, boating, doing the yard work- just being outdoors. Love it. AND two boat shows in the next week and a half- can't beat that, now can you?

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
The sane World NEEDS the USA in good fettle, you, as a nation, have taken on the mantle of Defender of The Free World...

That's another little 'factoid' that irritates the 'beejeebers' out of a large - and growing - segment of the U.S. population.

The >WORLD< needs to shoulder a faaaaaaaaaaar larger portion of the responsibilities in that area both in terms of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ AND military arms/personnel. The U.S. has been shouldering the lion's share of everything in those areas for faaaaaaaaar too long.

Keith

That's another little 'factoid' that irritates the 'beejeebers' out of a large - and growing - segment of the U.S. population.

The >WORLD< needs to shoulder a faaaaaaaaaaar larger portion of the responsibilities in that area both in terms of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ AND military arms/personnel. The U.S. has been shouldering the lion's share of everything in those areas for faaaaaaaaar too long.

It might irritate some of you Larry, but that is the position the USA has willingly & deliberately adopted since WWII. The people that planned and executed the Marshal Plan were like from another planet compared with the current crop, and any altruistic motives that lingered on after the last shot was fired, quickly disappeared into the bin along with Isolationism.

There might have been a moment in time when the burden was 'unreasonable' but it didn't last long. The USA became the 'World's Cop' because it suited the USA to be just that, politically and financially (not necessarily in that order).

The USA needs wars to survive.

Which is why you have so many friends out there now.

The ungrateful sods...:)

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Right, thanks - that's as close as I'm going to get, so it's this Tea Party thing again, and that weird Sarah Palin right?

For Christ sake, cross the floor and get jawing!

Or, well, the alternative I wouldn't want to contemplate.

Keith,

The problem is, there nothing to jaw about.

Obama ran on Heath care reform, was elected and got it passed. The supreme Court did not strike it down, then Obama was reelected in a landslide. the AHCA is his greatest accomplishment, his signature Bill.

The Bill was passes and signed, it's a done deal, it's law.

The problem here is, the House Republicans have decided that there will be no budget unless Obama and the Democrats end/delay implementing AHCA.

Its not going to happen, the Republicans may controll the House, but not the Senate, plus Obama has veto power.

These Obstructionist Republicans have ZERO chance of succeeding and they know it!

Keith,

There is nothing to discuss, Obama will wait them out and they will cave in. Polotics is a zero sum game and the Republican brand is losing votes in the millions.

Either the tea party folks will give in, or more likely the thoughtful House Republicans who like their jobs....will either convince them or reluctantly join the dark side.

Meanwhile millions of families are seriously effected, our economy is effected and our quality of life is effected..........

Last edited:
On our TV signs are shown to the effect that all National Parks are closed. Speaking as a potential tourist who would in future like to visit some of the great National Parks like Yosemite I feel now a little bit let down.

Say I have saved for few years really looking forward to the holiday , flown over to CA, only to arrive at a closed gate.

Good Will is lost.

Z.C.

Last edited:

marc

Lifetime Supporter
Yeah jim nothing to discuss. Thats why the govt is shut down. We are frustrated with what is continuing spending money without a budget, because those in power (executive branch) don't like how the budget would look. Affordable Healthcare Act has been manipulated by the POTUS to allow exemptions for 1200+ business and unions. And would you like to pay 500 a month more for your healthcare. Thats what AHA will make me do if I got to use it. As it is I pay almost 1k per month.
Also Mr Reid of the Senate is unwilling to negotiate which is the stalemate. 4 Bills for the continuing resolution have been sent to the Senate. None have been even looked at. Who's negotiating? not the Dems thats for sure.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Marc,

It's a done deal.

You may want to check where you get your info, you do know that exemptions are given to companies and unions that already have various forms of healthcare that they are going to keep.

The discussion here is:

It there any chance that Obama or the Senate would give in to this type of blackmail?

I say there is no chance, how about you?

Last edited:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Yeah jim nothing to discuss. Thats why the govt is shut down. We are frustrated with what is continuing spending money without a budget, because those in power (executive branch) don't like how the budget would look. Affordable Healthcare Act has been manipulated by the POTUS to allow exemptions for 1200+ business and unions. And would you like to pay 500 a month more for your healthcare. Thats what AHA will make me do if I got to use it. As it is I pay almost 1k per month.
Also Mr Reid of the Senate is unwilling to negotiate which is the stalemate. 4 Bills for the continuing resolution have been sent to the Senate. None have been even looked at. Who's negotiating? not the Dems thats for sure.

'Talking to Jim is like talking to a mud wall, marc. Nothing registers...just like with the "lamestream" media (Goldberg). Just like Jim, Z-E-R-O % of said media (NBC, CBS, ABC, etc.) lay ANY of the blame at the feet of Obama and the Demos. Z-E-R-O!

What a total CROCK.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
On our TV signs are shown to the effect that all National Parks are closed. Speaking as a potential tourist who would in future like to visit some of the great National Parks like Yosemite I feel now a little bit let down.

Say I have saved for few years really looking forward to the holiday , flown over to CA, only to arrive at a closed gate.

Good Will is lost.

Z.C.
Come to Australia mate, it's a lot closer and Kakadu and the reef are great.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Come to Australia mate, it's a lot closer and Kakadu and the reef are great.

But Pete
You have so many animals that try to kill you
Spiders, snakes, jellyfish, drop bears
And because you lot banned guns the gangsters rule! :laugh:

Ian

My solution- let the South secede. They're always threatening to do so and we could run the country better without you.

Back