More USA political questions

Guess they're still thinking about that then Nick!

Good points by Hislop but I'm not sure he's not NO axe to grind :shifty:

You may very well say that I could not possibly comment :)

It's always the other side that has to compromise, but I liked the the bit about democracy. Reminded me of in my opinion one of the greatest speeches spoken by an American President which also struck a cord.

"America isn't easy. America is advanced citizenship. You've gotta want it bad, 'cause it's gonna put up a fight. It's gonna say, 'You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours.' You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms. Then, you can stand up and sing about the land of the free.

I've known Bob Rumson for years. And I've been operating under the assumption that the reason Bob devotes so much time and energy to shouting at the rain was that he simply didn't get it. Well, I was wrong. Bob's problem isn't that he doesn't get it. Bob's problem is that he can't sell it! We have serious problems to solve, and we need serious people to solve them.

And whatever your particular problem is, I promise you, Bob Rumson is not the least bit interested in solving it. He is interested in two things, and two things only -- making you afraid of it, and telling you who's to blame for it. That, ladies and gentlemen, is how you win elections. You gather a group of middle age, middle class, middle income voters who remember with longing an easier time, and you talk to them about family, and American values and character, and you wave an old photo of the President's girlfriend and you scream about patriotism. You tell them she's to blame for their lot in life."

Shame it was an actor in a film saying it.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Nick,

That's one of my very favorite lines from one of my favorite movies.

So very true, thanks.

Last edited:
Now we're likely see charts and graphs posted that suppossedly pooh-pooh that W/E article.

"We're" getting our info from the wrong sources, Larry. 17% of government workers are getting a paid vacation, that's not enough! They all deserve one because of the stress they're under, worrying about this catastrophe!!!!!!

Shut the entire government down and AUDIT THEM.

"The Park Service will also have rangers on duty to police the ban... of access to an ocean. The government will probably use more personnel and spend more resources to attempt to close the ocean, than it would in its normal course of business."

Chortle.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
The Repoblican morons have now voted to make up the pay for those who missed work due to the Republcan shut down! That's great, the stupid party has set it up where not only do we not get the services of the Government, but we do pay for the services we are not getting.

These clever Republicans have figured out a way of not just screwing Gov workers, now they are screwing all Americans.........Genius.

Last edited:

Howard Jones

Supporter
So the government services are turned off and when they get turned back on the workers will be paid the back pay just like every other time. So I gotta ask, why did BOB suspend services then? I mean it's not like we are short of money or something. Hell why not just charge it. For that matter why not cut ALL taxes to zero and charge it ALL! Fuck then we can all be Democrats, sit on the porch and drink beer and watch it all finally go right down the drain together.

Fair question? After all he doesn't seam to worry about what the law says when it's something he wants to do, like decide when the house is in recess, even when the Speaker says it's not.

How fucking stupid do you think WE are. I know how stupid BOB thinks his supporters are. Clear as wet in the rain to me.

So there is a VW van full of democrats hall 'in ass towards a cliff at about 40 mph (that's fast for a bunch of tree huggers). Just as they clear the edge and are nose down headed for a 300 foot drop, one of the really alert hippies in the back says "wow check out the view man".

One of the Tea Party guys watching all this says " So....boys, we should buy all the VW vans and hold a huge Obama care rally. First one to the finish gets free health care for life."

The other guy says " Ya we can really cut some costs with that one"

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
These clever Republicans have figured out a way of not just screwing Gov workers, now they are screwing all Americans.........Genius.
:squint:

Speaking of "genius"...just how is it that the GOP is "screwing gov workers" by giving them back pay?

You and Prince Harry are just 'ticked off' because the Dems didn't propose it FIRST. I mean, after all, THEY are supposed to be "all for protecting the little guy", aren't they?

DON'T pay the govt workers = lefties bellyache.
PAY the govt workers = lefties bellyache.

'Amazing. 'Really amazing...

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
You guys can try and spin this any way you want, it won't help. You can pretend this isn't another colossal right wing screw up, but it is!

America is pissed and they are pissed at House Republicans!

% who disapprove of Republican House tactics...........63%
% who approve of Republican House tactics...............25%

See you at the polls!

Come to Australia mate, it's a lot closer and Kakadu and the reef are great. Post #38 by Pete.

Might do Pete, sometime in future and Kakadu at 20 000 sq km with World Heritage have to be an impressive experience.

Z.C.__________________

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
You guys can try and spin this any way you want, it won't help. You can pretend this isn't another colossal right wing screw up, but it is!

America is pissed and they are pissed at House Republicans!

% who disapprove of Republican House tactics...........63%
% who approve of Republican House tactics...............25%

See you at the polls!

Another unnamed poll from who-knows-where taken who-knows-when.

But, my suspicion is, given its lopsidedness, it comes from a far lefty source that conducted the survey in some liberal mecca somewhere. But, that said, press coverage HAS been completely and totally one-sided, hasn't it.

abused, archaic, arid, big yawn, blah, colorless, common, commonplace, dead, dismal, dreary, driveling, dry, familiar, flat, hackneyed, heavy...

""I'm going to ask you one last time," said Wallace, "because, forgive me sir, you haven't answered it: do you not know how many people signed up, which would seem to indicate another major software glitch, or is it that the numbers are embarrassingly small?"

"Chris, our metric for this week was, could people get online, get the information they need to make an informed," said Lew, sidestepping the straightforward question. "They have been getting that information. We are confident that they are going to make the decision -- they have 6 months to make the decision."

Wallace tried again: "So do you not know or is that the number is --"

"Well, it's obviously not my primary area of responsibility," said the treasury secretary."

Treasury Secretary Stonewalls When Asked How Many Have Signed Up for Obamacare | The Weekly Standard

I disagree, sir. Although it did bite us in the butt this last time around, the Elect. Coll. as it was originally set up is absolutely THEE best way to ensure that one or two states with LARGE populations cannot dictate WHO will be elected to the White House. It also ensures that such states cannot, in effect, dictate what the fed govt will say and do in terms of laws, policies and regulations.

Larry I agree I am not advocating an end to the electoral college but the use of proportional distribution for all states like Maine does so a single large district can't decide the outcome of all electoral votes for a state like California. Explanation below:

The District of Columbia and 48 states have a winner-takes-all rule for the Electoral College. In these States, whichever candidate receives a majority of the popular vote, or a plurality of the popular vote (less than 50 percent but more than any other candidate), takes all of the state’s Electoral votes.

Only two states, Nebraska and Maine, do not follow the winner-takes-all rule. In those states, there could be a split of Electoral votes among candidates through the state’s system for proportional allocation of votes. For example, Maine has four Electoral votes and two Congressional districts. It awards one Electoral vote per Congressional district and two by the state-wide, “at-large” vote. It is possible for Candidate A to win the first district and receive one Electoral vote, Candidate B to win the second district and receive one Electoral vote, and Candidate C, who finished a close second in both the first and second districts, to win the two at-large Electoral votes. Although this is a possible scenario, it has not actually happened.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I'm amazed America is in financial crisis and no one appears to give a shit. Other than making political points. Talk about fiddling while Rome burns.
I wouldn't give a shit either except, when America sneezes Australia catches a cold.

Last edited:
Back