My RCR "DPE-962X" 8500 RPM -1500HP Engine Build *lots of pics*

What's the catch can in that setup? I cant quite read the name on it? I made something very similar with a evac pump that uses a hobbs switch to turn on the pump under boost

What's the catch can in that setup? I cant quite read the name on it? I made something very similar with a evac pump that uses a hobbs switch to turn on the pump under boost

Are you referring to the Norgren water separator I used ?

I took an oil catch can, cut it down a couple inches to save room, made an aluminum divider for the inside that divides the inlet and outlet and used 2 Stainless steel mesh pads (one on each side) to assist trapping crankcase oil vapors.
After the catch can, the vapor is sucked through the Norgren separator that's installed backwards to remove any remaining oil vapors that got by the catch can and then pulled though the Bosch pump and out the K&N breather filter.

I used an adjustable pressure switch on there instead of a Hobbs so I can set it's activation at different boost levels without having to change switches.

Hope it clarifies it a bit

Perry

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Perry, did you ever think about going with a flat plane crank? I know we had that discussion on here a while back about that. You'll get the Ferrari sound from the LS motor. Of course you'd have to change that badass cam...

Looking good Perry! Nice catch can set-up. Seems like you have already thought this project out and planned most of it. I look forward to watching it come together. I like to see thorough projects come to fruition. And thanks for all the pics!

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Or maybe get a Porsche motor, put it in the replica of the Porsche, and you'd have a Porsche sound from a Porsche motor in your Porsche car. :)

Oh Ron...

Ron, Ron, Ron...

Just shut up over there. LOL Let the man build the most insane LS motor in the world please! I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriately over this thread.

Perry, did you ever think about going with a flat plane crank? I know we had that discussion on here a while back about that. You'll get the Ferrari sound from the LS motor. Of course you'd have to change that badass cam...

Brian,

Never even crossed my mind.
Flat planes sound cool in the motors they come in.

Bro, when the Flat planes hear this LS revving and more importantly MOVING, they'll want to convert.
Funny, out in Europe, they like the deeper sound of the US motors.
:idea: Maybe they can't distinguish them from mosquitoes flying around :laugh:

Do you think any 962's racers out there looked at the slower car next to them and say hey, I want to sound like that ? .... If it's faster than the other cars, it sounds great to me....

Looking good Perry! Nice catch can set-up. Seems like you have already thought this project out and planned most of it. I look forward to watching it come together. I like to see thorough projects come to fruition. And thanks for all the pics!

Thanks Tony,

Been planning a project like this for years.
I'm glad I found Fran's shop RCR and can finally start on my project.

Or maybe get a Porsche motor, put it in the replica of the Porsche, and you'd have a Porsche sound from a Porsche motor in your Porsche car. :)

Ron you nut !! :laugh:

I would need a little Porsche 4.5 V12 with 39 psi of boost eg. from a 917 to get the power I want to have on tap from a Porsche engine

Guys, never in this whole thread did I mention anything about ever wanting a Porsche or Ferrari sound. You are right though, if I did, I would use a Porsche power-trane.

Hell if I did that, why stop there ? Should build an exact 962 replica chassis and all ?
Believe me, that's what I was going to do in the beginning, strengthen the shit out of the chassis with steel, replacing a lot of suspension parts for street use as the original car did not have much shock travel and would get torn up on the street.. That is why I decided to build my own Super car using Fran's kit. It was designed for track and street already.

The sound of this motor will not be altered. It will have it's own distinct sound from the combination of all the parts used including Cam, Turbos and Pipes. Without it being finished, I would just be blowing smoke telling you guys the sound will be incredible. But I will and say, wait till you hear this baby's solid cam when I quick rev or open it up. :shocked:

Hey Brian,

Waiting to see that insane LS engine too.....The Porsche would be boring!

Thanks for the :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
What is the source of the (assumption here) stainless scrub pads that are used to separate oil. Can these be used to fill a dry sump oil tank as well?

Terry

What is the source of the (assumption here) stainless scrub pads that are used to separate oil. Can these be used to fill a dry sump oil tank as well?

Terry

Hi Terry,

My thought was when I decided to put them in was that the oil vapors going into the catch will pass through the stainless scrubbers (which are not restrictive at all) and thus more surface area to collect oil particles better.

I mostly did it because I didn't want the Bosch pump electronics possibly failing from oil contamination. That's why I added the dryer as well as a safety measure.

As far as filling your dry sump with them. I don't think I would take a chance in a piece of SS possibly getting broken off and circulating through your oil and making it into the motor before the oil filter.

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter

Terry

In the oilfield & process industry, SS mesh pads are often used in the tops of scrubbers and other separation vessels to entrain fluid in the gas that's passing through.

Re: My RCR "DPE-962X" 8500 RPM -1850HP Engine Build *lots of pics*

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Everybody !!!

Update:

Here are some more pics I would like to share with you.

I raised the bar on my DPE 962X project and will be going for 1850HP twin turbocharged HP.
I will talk to Fran in a couple weeks and see how we can re-enforce the chassis to make it a bit more rigid to handle the additional stress.

The first picture is a schematic of the Octane on demand fuel system I drew up and will be putting together. It will support over 2000 HP. The whole fuel system will all be plumbed in hard Stainless steel line. I just purchased a variety of benders and high quality flaring tools to do the job.

I sent my aluminum Intake manifold back to John Beck for him to install a second set of fuel rails since there will 16 injectors fueling this engine.

Here's a quick explanation on the fuel system logic:

The cars fuel cell will have 2 chambers. One 15 gal for 93 pump fuel and one 12 gal for 116 race fuel.

The primary 70# injectors will feed the engine 93 octane premium fuel until 15psi of boost. After that, the secondary injectors will add 116 octane race fuel to the 93 raising the octane rating and eliminating the chance of detonation up to about 32 psi of boost.

At lower engine RPM's there isn't much velocity to pull 100% of the fuel into the intake ports so the primary fuel rails are located close to the head port so the fuel sprays directly on the back of the hot intake valve. That eliminates puddling in the intake port for great fuel atomization and great responsive low speed driving.

The secondary fuel rails feeding the race gas are further up in the runners which is a good thing. That's because when the secondary injectors fire there will already be extreme air velocity in the intake ports to atomize and pull all the race fuel into the cylinders.

There will be 3 fuel pumps total keeping fuel return to a minimum and fuel cool.
The 2 Primary's pumps are Bosch 420's. The 3rd pumping the race fuel pump will be the SX 18207.

The 1st fuel pump will be activated when the ignition is turned on and will stay on as long as the car is running.
The 2nd fuel pump will be active at boost levels exceeding 10 psi.
The 3rd fuel pump feeding the 116 race fuel will be activated at boost levels exceeding 15psi.

I have decided on the Tec 3r from Electromotive engine controls for an Engine management system.
The trans-axle unit will be a Mendeola unit with a 13" pinion.

ARE Stage 3 Dry Sump will keep it lubed at extremes and also allow me to retain my factory A/C. A Jesel Belt Drive system will keep the valvetrane happy.

The Billet Valve covers will have built in oil sprayers to keep the valve springs cool at high RPM's and clear the Jesel valve trane.

octaneondemand3.jpg

fuelmanagementsystem.jpg

19222331173jesellsbeltd.jpg

stage3m.jpg

coils2.jpg

gmsvc0081.jpg

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
All this and an Electromotive TEC3r?

Not to take anything away from the product, but for all you've already put into this, I'd have thought it would be at least a MoTeC M800, if not a Pectel, or EFI Technologies box.

All this and an Electromotive TEC3r?

Not to take anything away from the product, but for all you've already put into this, I'd have thought it would be at least a MoTeC M800, if not a Pectel, or EFI Technologies box.

John,

The Tec3R will do the job just fine for 3k. It's the same unit used in the 1800hp Mosler. I have spoken to tuners that use this system and they love it for tuning high HP cars.
The savings from going Motec will go towards the 16k Mendeola trans-axle.
:thumbsup:

Before I found RCR I was going to build a REALLY fast GTM.
I had a lot of body mods I was going to do to it as well. Here are some pics of my modified version. I widened and lengthened the rear of the car and increased the size of the openings on the sides for more cooling capacity.
I left the original rear wing alone to easier show the difference in the body width. What do you guys think of my version compared to the FF5 OEM ?

gtma.jpg

dpesupercarsidenoline.jpg

img0132small.jpg

dpesupercar1.jpg

gtm2.jpg

dpeprototypeside.jpg

This is what I want to build below. The only difference is, I would have 800HP more, have A/C and while everybody is loading their race car in their trailer that I just smoked ,I just jump in my 962X kick the A/C on and drive home !! :thumbsup:

daytona19880131014.jpg

What happens when you hit a big bump in the road? :stunned:

I think I see why Fran was saying the 962 is really meant to be a track car :idea:

Back