Name the aeroplane ?

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Helo's (choppers) should never be allowed to fly. I still think that as soon as the power increases and the collective is lifted, it should promptly screw itself into the ground.
Two unscheduled arrivals in my life and one was in a USN Helicopter transferring between NAS2 and NAS1 (previously known as NAF2 and NAF1) in Sigonella which suddenly decided it was no longer out to play and skidded to a stop in a cornfield.
No - no a C-34 but here us some small clues - The name is the same as a Newspaper here in the UK and also a theatre in Washington State.

David,
I can,t figure it out. The windscreen is throwing me off. Is it a military or civilian. I will take a rough guess Grumman Guardian.
Dave

Keith

That post deleted because I couldn't believe it would be a modern aeroplane knowing Dave so had a rethink. I know zip about planes (except the ones I jumped out of occasionally), but I like detective work.

Clothed in knickers (sounds like) a seat of learning perhaps? :laugh:

Send my prize David - you owe me some cheese.... :thumbsup:

Oh well, if I got it wrong - it's a bit of fun anyway.. :)

Tricky question though...

Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Cheese was coming anyway. As an aside - Both Kieth and I share an addiction to a particular Cheddar Cheese which is matured in caves in Somerset (pronounced Summerzet). With a warm pint of ale , a largish wedge of Wookey Hole Cheddar, very fresh (still hot) bread, and Plum chutney. This to me is the epitomy of a summer countryside lunch. This is the cave where the cheese matures at 11degrees Celsius. Anyway Kieth, time to disclose the name......

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Dave - it's military and I think only the R.A.F. used them which narrows it down quite a bit. Kieths innuendos may conceal/reveal the identity.

Keith

Dave - it's military and I think only the R.A.F. used them which narrows it down quite a bit. Kieths innuendos may conceal/reveal the identity.

Vickers Varsity... methinks.

Strangely enough, the window catches are a bit of a giveaway. I have some old Janes here. Thanks for keeping me occupied Dave!

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Nice one Kieth. I suffered about 150 hours in those things aimlessly doing stupid things over the North Sea. Nicknamed as "Flying Pigs" though I have to say the bomb aiming position (below stairs) was a really comfortable prone position, especially with any wenches coming along for a bit of rumpy pumpy - whoops - sorry - air experience.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Try this one for size:

39993963kIDOaE_ph.jpg
<OBJECT class=inlineimg id=flash-image title="Big Grin" height=545 alt="" width=531 data=data:application/x-oleobject;base64,IGkzJfkDzxGP0ACqAGhvEzwhRE9DVFlQRSBIVE1MIFBVQkxJQyAiLS8vVzNDLy9EVEQgSFRNTCA0LjAgVHJhbnNpdGlvbmFsLy9FTiI+DQo8SFRNTD48SEVBRD4NCjxNRVRBIGh0dHAtZXF1aXY9Q29udGVudC1UeXBlIGNvbnRlbnQ9InRleHQvaHRtbDsgY2hhcnNldD13aW5kb3dzLTEyNTIiPjwvSEVBRD4NCjxCT0RZPg0KPFA+Jm5ic3A7PC9QPjwvQk9EWT48L0hUTUw+DQo= border=0 classid="clsid:D</OBJECT>

Don't you just love the trim wheels ! Just the place to balance the Flight Deck Cheeseboard or even afternoon Tea with Scones with Clotted Cream. (Sorry - too much time being spoiled on the 747s in BA). The white inserts on the control yoke is the independant brake controls. Steering on the ground was by rudder peddle. The Flight Engineer sat well behind the Co Pilot with a very cramped panel. Other crew members : Navigator, Signaller, and usually an Air Load Mattress (Air load master) when passengers were carried.

Last edited:
Mmmm to easy me thinks, well done mr Mac. I have a couple of pics on my other PC that might be a little harder, though given the obvious depth of knowledge here I doubt it will be much of a problem.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Judging by the condition of the sheepskin on the seats - it's just come out of a factory after a refit to EFIS displays.

Keith

Dave - cracked it mate...

This post on behalf of Dave...Please reply to Mr Morton

NAME THAT PLANE

Cockpit.jpg

"Don't you just love the trim wheels ! Just the place to balance the Flight Deck Cheeseboard or even afternoon Tea with Scones with Clotted Cream. (Sorry - too much time being spoiled on the 747s in BA). The white inserts on the control yoke is the independant brake controls. Steering on the ground was by rudder peddle. The Flight Engineer sat well behind the Co Pilot with a very cramped panel. Other crew members : Navigator, Signaller, and usually an Air Load Mattress (Air load master) when passengers were carried. "

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Kieth.
I should correct the speeling mistake above = Pedal not peddle.
Also explain the Flight Deck Cheeseboard - something that was fought for as
part of pay and conditions - and the cabin crew (the talking freight) were always trying to nick it. Even if we did not eat it I've seen it flushed down the "Pilots Only" toilet by my colleagues rather than see it being eaten by the Cabin Crew. A very long story with loads of animosity on the way, but I very quickly came to my senses and fell in line with other pilots.

Dave,

One for you, or others, feel free to join in.

Easy question: What is this plane ?

Question 2: Speculate on the circumstances that caused its demise
and the damage ?

Tim Dutton, you are expressly barred from entering your comments :lipsrsealed:

I may be a little late and its been guessed, but the second image has a file name of wellington.jpg (pops up if you leave the mouse on it).

Is that cheating or using your initiative?

Back