Name the aeroplane ?

Antonov AN-2 ' Colt '

Jac Mac- James --....whoever I am today. :)

We have or that may be had one here in NZ, havent checked the register in a couple for about ten years.

Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
<TABLE class=alt1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Don't you just love it. Armed with .303 machine guns fore and occasionally in an upper turret. Used by coastal command initially and even Afghanistan had them. In the swinging 60's, I was going to a place called the Roundhouse (in north London) to watch a band called 'Family' and I got a lift in one of these aeroplanes from Marham in Norfolk, where I was based, and supposed to be going to Bovingdon (an airfield north of London) via Scampton in Lincolnshire. It broke down in Scampton so now I was twice as far from London.
SNAFU.
TIME TO SPARE - GO BY AIR .

Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
The AS-6 Envoy was even used by the Luftwaffe as a trainer and after they shot down a Finnish D.H. Rapide they donated one to the Finnish government as an apology. A few were also made under licence in Japan. The King of England King George VI swapped his Rapide for an Envoy. It seemed they awere all the rage amongst the Upper Classes as they were very stable and had a low(ish) landing speed (V ref). The RAF had them and true to form, filled it with crew and stuck a machine gun on it. What form I hear you ask? It never saw any action.
Last civil version got scrapped in 1950.
Jac Mac - very good effort and I'm very impressed.

Damn, looks like its back to the books, have to give up tonite, the eyes are past curfew time.:) Could be an Oxford, but the Afganistan connection should make it an Avro Anson.

I know Dad spent some hrs in the Anson in Canada, think some of the Oxfords ended up there as well. His fondest flight training memories were in the Cessna Crane (Bobcat), he just liked it, some others did not from articles I have since read. Will have to check out his log books when I get a spare moment.

Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Oct2002photo.JPG

Sorry - not a good picture but I couldn't find any other.
Clues: Twin engine - but you could see that anyway.....

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Paolo,
It was the front cockpit of the BAC TSR2. Please dont get any pilot from England talking about this wonderful machine. I don't think this gt40s website could stand the tears. It shows how stupid our politicians can be and how they even ordered the jigs from which is was made to be cut up and scrapped. Dennis Winston Healey - may you rot in hell.
http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/tsr2/history.php
http://www.targetlock.org.uk/tsr2/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXdJxjvQZW4
http://www.video4viet.com/watchvideo.html?id=a7JAYHHsVU8&title=The%20Bac%20Tsr-2

Last edited:

Keith

Paolo,
It was the front cockpit of the BAC TSR2. Please dont get any pilot from England talking about this wonderful machine. I don't think this gt40s website could stand the tears. It shows how stupid our politicians can be and how they even ordered the jigs from which is was made to be cut up and scrapped. Dennis Winston Healey - may you rot in hell.
Thunder & Lightnings - British Aircraft Corporation TSR.2 - History
Target Lock: TSR.2 : Origins
YouTube - TSR 2 Test Flight
The Bac Tsr-2

Roger that David, Roger that.. :sad:

A truly remarkable machine - ready to go technically superior to anything else in the air and brutally scrapped - the pieces almost ritually burnt. I cannot imagine the feelings of all those who designed, built and flew this marvellous machine. Bastards... :veryangry:

too great experience there David:D
I try challenge u (but i wellknow u will always win..:)) with this dashboard.
I cant post the complete cockpit cause u and all the other guys can recognize it at once.

Just my tip on it....imho the nicest beast ever...
Obviously american.

Attachments

• for david.jpg
    for david.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 217

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Found this on TSR2 , discuss?

What an aircraft - scuppered by a crap Labour government of course who had to be Kow-towing to the Americans to buy their F-111 - which of course we didn't buy in the end as well.

The TSR2 also had blown flaps for STOL performance.

BTW you don't see many Mach 2+ supersonic aircraft bounce 6 feet of the runway or take off and land in a muddy field. Try that in a F15 and it would have pancaked into the runway and an SR71 would have snapped in two.

All valid points, the turning circle was roughly the same as the a F104, due to the highly loaded low gust wing. The ex-Fleet Air/Empire Test pilot was completely wrong about not being good as low level though as it was the first aircraft that could fly supersonic @ 200 feet with no hands on the stick - unlike the F15E even today. The Bucc couldn't supercruise at Mach 2+ @ 60kft either making it almost impossible for fighter then and now to intercept as demonstated by the Concorde trails in 85.

No wonder the Americans didn't want the TSR2 to be sold to other nations as the replacement for their Canberras, which even the Americans had purchased 10 years before as the B-57. Even today the 'Stealthy' TSR2 low level Tactical Strike attack bomber and high altitude Mach 2 supercruise Recon aircraft would classed as outstanding.

We could go on.
No doubt i will be shot down.
However, not my opinions and i have no expertise in this area.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
"All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics. TSR-2 simply got the first three right. "
— Sir Sydney Camm
How very right he was...and still is.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Paolo,
Cesium burning , triethylborane ignited A12 or early SR71 Habu(Pit Viper) also known as Blackbird.
Incidentally the fuel used was JP7 and was not that easy to ignite so trieth (TEB or triethylborane) was used to start and further to bring in reheat - it was particularly harmful to your kidneys, testes and nervous system. The cesium was to reduce the detection by the heat exhaust trails.
As an aside I remember a story about one coming in off the ocean and being asked to remain clear of French airspace. "Negative Sir" - He was on a mission in transit to the eastern Med and the French controller started getting agitated and suggested he would be intercepted.
The conversation was over almost as quickly as you are reading this. The pilot made a comment something along the lines "At FL 800 you are welcome to try. Clearing your airspace to the east. Good morning"
What a machine - I saw one up close in Farnborough - it was leaking funny fuel everywhere and could only be parked on concrete hard standing. Lots of admiration for anyone who could fly such a thing.

Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Andy,
I don't think anything written about the TSR2 was untrue. That was everything - warts and all - some of the test flight problems were disclosed as they happened - they even acknowledged there was still some development work needed on the undercarriage (landing gear) because it was not tolerating high rates of descent. They sorted it. There will never be another aeroplane such as this. I climbed all over the one parked between the hangars at Cranfield in the mid 70's - it was just stunning in every way.

Back